Diesel smell

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I notice a strong exhaust smell in the cab of my 00 Golf tdi on the coldest days. It goes away after driving a while.

The car doesn't start too bad, even on the coldest days. I've got an oil pan heater epoxied to the bottom of the oil pan. When it does start, there is a nasty smell in the cabin.

Is this normal?

Oh yes... coldest days means -25~30C. The car sits outside for now and I frequently don't drive it for weeks at a time so when I start it, the under carriage is typically blocked in with snow. I thought it might be exhaust not getting out but I've tried shoveling out around the exhaust and that doesn't seem to help.

Other than the smell, all other operation is fine.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Sounds to me like you could have a small exhaust leak. Might want to start there as a place to check. I only get a diesel smell in my Beetle on cold days when I start it with the door open.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I notice a strong exhaust smell ... It goes away after driving a while...when I start it, the under carriage is typically blocked in with snow. ...
If there's other blockage up top around the vent intakes, it is hard to tell where the exact ingress points are for air entering the cabin. The fact that after warmup the excessive smell goes away says that it is a self-solving problem. Probably the only way you'd be able to clear it completely is to park it inside a garage, but I'm betting that isn't available.

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
When the car is parked in a garage, the smell doesn't happen.

I'll have to take it by a muffler shop to look for an exhaust leak.

Thanks.

Last edited:

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I've had this issue come up, disappear, then re-appear over the last 7 years. I'll be sure to ask my mechanic the next time I take the car in.