The BHW blues...

Ceno

TDI
04 Passat
Ok so I have an 04 Passat BHW. I did the BS delete and timing belt since the previous owner didn't know when it was done last. Made it 4 miles and the tensioner stud snapped and took out the valves. I got a used head in good shape and dug in. Got the head on an all buttoned up and it wouldn't start. So I put my old tandem pump on since I knew that worked as well as my old injectors. Still won't fire. I have primed the fuel system and made sure there is no air in it. As well as adjusted the injector rockers. Anyone have any thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do you have cranking RPM in the scan data? And smoke in the exhaust during cranking? You sure the lift pump is working?

Ceno

TDI
04 Passat
The tachometer is reading rpm. I can't see the exhaust to confirm smoke. But the lift pump definitely is functioning.

Ceno

TDI
04 Passat
Ok so fortunately for me my other half was home. Scan tool shows 237 RPM while cranking. Seems low to me but I'm not the most knowledgeable with these vws. The battery is charged and starter was new a couple months ago.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Sometimes when you have everything apart like this it takes a long time of cranking to get it going.

oilhammer

TDI
247 seems maybe a wee bit low, but at least it is showing something. Next thing is there any DTCs?

Does the engine sound like it is cranking normally, as in a normal speed and like it has compression?

I sometimes have to use a vacuum cylinder OR better yet an electric pump to help prime the system. If you have some smoke/diesel smell in the exhaust during extended cranking you at least know some fuel is finding its way into the cylinders. I'd also triple check all the fuel hose connections (white is feed, blue is return) especially at the filter. I would think if you had any electrical connections not made, you'd have a DTC stored.

Ceno

TDI
04 Passat
No DTCs, it does seem to have compression. I purged the system and got all the air out. Fuel lines are on where they should be. It did almost start onece an smoked out the garage. So that leads me to believe that the fuel is getting to the cylinders.

oilhammer

TDI
At this point, I would try unplugging the CTS. This will force a full aggressive preglow period, which may help get it going. If it doesn't, then I would do a compression check. 25 to 31 bar is spec, with 19 bar being the minimum.

Ceno

TDI
04 Passat
Well I tore it all apart and afarfalla was correct. Timing was off. Not sure how I managed that but got it all back together and she fired right up. Thanks to all that replied.

oilhammer

TDI
He said he used the proper tools... I forget people can do things wrong even with the tools. No idea how, but they do. PD timing belts are pretty easy to me.

Glad you got it fixed.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Well I tore it all apart and afarfalla was correct. Timing was off. Not sure how I managed that but got it all back together and she fired right up. Thanks to all that replied.
Twice I've been out to a local shop to diagnose and fix this exact issue! Good you found it.