F/S 2000 JETTA TDI (salvage) California

91 gli

TDI
2000 Jetta
I drive it around all the time, it’s not safe the way it is but she still skips around my neighborhood just fine [emoji482]

sangretdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf
That sucks, sorry about your Jetta. Is the frame bent? If it's not, it's the perfect candidate for building a smyth vw truck! Turn those lemons into lemonade!

Next summer I'll be looking for a mk4 TDI in the same rear-ended condition, to do a smyth truck... I have to finish our house remodel first, then my wife will "allow" me to start another project : )

https://www.smythkitcars.com/jetta-golf-ute

Mike

91 gli

TDI
2000 Jetta
It was hit by a lifted Jeep only the trunk lid, the latch area and passenger quarter panel are bent the bumper was not hit or damaged, drives straight otherwise. Oh and trunk broke the window from being pushed back into it.

sangretdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf
It was hit by a lifted Jeep only the trunk lid, the latch area and passenger quarter panel are bent the bumper was not hit or damaged, drives straight otherwise. Oh and trunk broke the window from being pushed back into it.
cool, if the bumber isn't bashed in and the rear beam mount isn't tweaked out of alignment than this really is the perfect candidate! my wife would kill me if i parked this in the driveway for 6 months...

sangretdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf
What frame?
true! no, it's not an old truck with a body bolted to a burly frame. i'm referring to the... uh... underbody structural mounting points (not sure correct term?) that the rear beam attaches to, that would keep the car driving in a strait line...

91 gli

TDI
2000 Jetta
No it’s nothing serious, I have an estimate from a body shop for 1500, witch was a junk yard trunk, glass, quarter panel, and latch area, all paint matched. It was not the best shop in town but I wanted to find the cheapest place and I did. Didn’t care how she looked cuz mechanically it was in perfect shape and that’s all I cared for. Ended up finding an ok replacement for a daily and never got to doing the work.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
true! no, it's not an old truck with a body bolted to a burly frame. i'm referring to the... uh... underbody structural mounting points (not sure correct term?) that the rear beam attaches to, that would keep the car driving in a strait line...
lol. I'm just messing with you.
Yes, passenger cars have not had a "frame" for...40(?) years or so. They have a unibody construction. It's just...a strong body shell, complete with bracing - pillars, roof, floor, etc.
Pickup trucks still have a body-on-frame construction.

Not trying to step on OPs toes, but the car likely isn't fixable.
Yes, it's easy to say "oh just the trunk lid and rear glass". But the reality is much different. Once you start removing parts, you'll find the rear sub-floor is ripped and rippled. You'll find the 'unibody' underneath to be kinked.
The only type of repair this car can receive is the good ol' "tie a chain to a tree in the front yard, and pull away" in an effort to pull out the kinks in the body.
Some shops will do that in an effort to jam the body panels back on, but it's just going to cause issues later.
I bought a 1995 Honda Civic that had been 'doctored' back together like that. It looked fantastic from the outside. Someone had really done a bang-up job with putty work.
I kept hearing some exterior road noise, especially noticeable in the rain. It drove me crazy. I pulled up the spare tire panel, and saw the floor had ripped away from the wall at the seam. I could fit my entire hand through the fissure and see straight to the ground. Wish I still had the picture.

Sure, if it was a new car, worth 20 grand you can put it on a frame puller machine and 'pull gently' but...time and $$$. This is why front end damage is so much easier to fix. Bumper, hood, grille, headlights, fenders, and you're good to go. The core support in front is much easier to straighten out OR just cut out and weld a new one in if need be.

Here are some pictures from when my old Volvo was hit in the back.
Seems minor...

Then...

Last edited:

91 gli

TDI
2000 Jetta
Bump, if your not in the business of body work, and even if you are, please keep your opinions to yourself. The car is fixable according to professional body shops( people who do this for a living) not those who have similar accidents in 50 year old **** boxes. Thanks