are there different ctn transmission speedo gears?

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i have swapped alh with 02a ctn tranny into mk2 golf with its original cluster, went mtdi all the way. my speedo is running way too fast. i have tried searching but am not coming up with anything.

i had a piece that screws into my tranny. popped the top off that and bought a vendors cable that has a square piece that inserts into it and screws down onto the top to make it work.

i could try and drive with the flow of traffic but this is really bugging me :). i do plan to keep stock tire height on some new rims and tires but plugging my current into calculator its just a few % off so the gear is still way off.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Shouldn't be any difference. All CTN were created equal.

So your driving the speedo with a cable like with original Mk2? I could see that as a problem since the trans speedo cable is based on trans ratios. I believe there were three trans gear colors, white, red and one other I don't remember.

I'm not sure if you can actually get a cable drive gear that will work with the CTN final drive / 5th gear combo, the CTN is unlike any 020 trans.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Thinking about it, weren’t early Corrados speedos, cable driven?

-Todd

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
the sp auto cable goes from mk2 cluster and screws right into the lower half of the 02a part after i took the top electrical sender off. so the physical hookup is all good, i assume its just a gear problem in the tranny? mine is black. i could look again but i don't think its the same as mk2 gears?

am i reading right in that some 02a units are one piece and some are 2 piece like mine? so maybe i don't have options to take gear off and use another vw part to get it closer? no clue if the gasser versions would make it slower or faster.

my google skills are lacking for some reason im not finding other projects. seems when it comes to tdi swaps most are using electronics so another beast.

maybe im stuck?

company above said thats a hotrod type part they make but hookup sounds similar its a 7/8" thread