Dieselgate sadness

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I work just up the street from a wholesale auto auction lot. In the past couple of weeks I've seen a few trucks heading towards to lot full of JSWs. I think each truck held nine cars each. I'm making the assumption that these are all post dieselgate fixed cars heading to auction. Today they just happened to all be silver.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, the whole deal is sad BUT, if you see them going to auction, that means they are not getting crushed, and that is a good thing. I wish I could afford to buy one (or five). I totally would. Because it looks like the Volkswagen showroom will be off the table for me for the foreseeable future, as nothing on their lot interests me at all now. So that is kinda sad.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW has their own action site and they put cars up daily. I find the number of TDIs at dealerships encouraging. We've seen big increases in service kit sales for MKVI and VII cars as enthusiasts buy them.

My MKVII GSW is mostly sitting in my garage on a battery tender as my "next" vehicle once my MKIVs give up the ghost (if they ever do).

We'll have diesels around for a while.

ItsPhilD

TDI
2013 Golf 2dr DSG w/Tech Pkg, Nav, & Sunroof
I just purchased one of these newly updated and released vehicles on Sep 19. A 2dr Golf TDI DSG with Sunroof, Teck Pkg, and Nav. Has 43k and as I figure it, I have 5 years and 76k miles warranty time remaining.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
VW has their own action site and they put cars up daily. I find the number of TDIs at dealerships encouraging. We've seen big increases in service kit sales for MKVI and VII cars as enthusiasts buy them.

My MKVII GSW is mostly sitting in my garage on a battery tender as my "next" vehicle once my MKIVs give up the ghost (if they ever do).

We'll have diesels around for a while.
What is the VW auction site ? Can’t find it...

TIA

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I see they are being sold on Adesa. Is this what you’re talking about ?
That's also the auction lot down the street from me. They used to hold consumer auctions once a month but I have no idea if they are still doing that. I have no need for another car right now.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
That's also the auction lot down the street from me. They used to hold consumer auctions once a month but I have no idea if they are still doing that. I have no need for another car right now.
If you go on the Adesa site it lists specific locations where they are TDI auction “hubs”. The ADESA location near my hometown isn’t listed but the one in Los Angeles is.

I have a high school friend who works at Adesa and he said it’s obscene how cheap those cars are selling for. These dealers are putting on a set of tires, new battery and quick detail job and marking them up 2-3x what there getting them for at auction. I want to buy a MKVI buyback too but I don’t want to get raped on the deal. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Here is the site: http://images.adesa.com/publicweb/volkswagen-audi/

Last edited:

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
2-3 times marking up the sale price....is this high markup particularly applied to just
dieselgate cars, or is it applicable to other brands as well?

oilhammer

TDI
Most new car dealers have a bigger profit margin in used cars, so that part is not really unheard of. Auction sales (of which we, out shop, is often part of as we are also a dealer) can be all over the place price wise. In this particular scenario, it is somewhat unique in that Volkswagen dealers have been given a chance to make back some of their lost sales over the last few years.

But how much sales were lost is somewhat debatable. Sales figures didn't tank so badly but that was because a lot of incentives were given to soften the blow. Still, dealers lost out on the late model trade in profits on all these turn in cars even if the owner did opt to buy a new gasser (barf) Volkswagen.

Supposedly (I have been told from someone in my dealer circle) that VAG/VoA has tried to allow dealers to get these cars as cheap as possible in order for them to have a higher markup and thus a higher profit. But of course, in this age of information, it may backfire if enough people who want one of these cars refuse to buy one just based off of this, even if the "value" of the car remains unchanged.

I still think the end consumer gets to win, because even if there is a big markup at the dealer level, you are STILL able to get a great deal on an almost new car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a high school friend who works at Adesa and he said it’s obscene how cheap those cars are selling for.
I don't think this is as true as your friend says. Our local dealer owner has said his profit on dieselgate car sales is from the repair and prep reimbursements plus the incentive payment he receives on each car he sells. He says he sells them not much over his auction cost. We've had a long and positive history with this dealer, so I'm inclined to believe him.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Most new car dealers have a bigger profit margin in used cars, so that part is not really unheard of. Auction sales (of which we, out shop, is often part of as we are also a dealer) can be all over the place price wise. In this particular scenario, it is somewhat unique in that Volkswagen dealers have been given a chance to make back some of their lost sales over the last few years.
But how much sales were lost is somewhat debatable. Sales figures didn't tank so badly but that was because a lot of incentives were given to soften the blow. Still, dealers lost out on the late model trade in profits on all these turn in cars even if the owner did opt to buy a new gasser (barf) Volkswagen.
Supposedly (I have been told from someone in my dealer circle) that VAG/VoA has tried to allow dealers to get these cars as cheap as possible in order for them to have a higher markup and thus a higher profit. But of course, in this age of information, it may backfire if enough people who want one of these cars refuse to buy one just based off of this, even if the "value" of the car remains unchanged.
I still think the end consumer gets to win, because even if there is a big markup at the dealer level, you are STILL able to get a great deal on an almost new car.
The ones I’m seeing here in CA aren’t a great deal. There is a 2014 sportwagen near me with less than 20k miles for $18k. There are a couple 2014s in southern CA on EBay with 25k miles for $16k. Maybe I’m out of touch with reality but it’s still a car that is 5 model years old thats been sitting outside in a field for the last 2 years.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Thank you for clarification Oilhammer!!!. I also tend to believe the markup of 200-300% on these TDI's may not be reflective of the actual profit margin scheme.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe I’m out of touch with reality but it’s still a car that is 5 model years old thats been sitting outside in a field for the last 2 years.
Said another way, you have an opportunity to buy a low mileage car that's no longer available, and, in some cases nothing similar is available (diesel/wagon/manual transmission), for 30-40% off original MSRP, and includes a warranty that will cover just about anything that may break. Some may say that's a great deal.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, I am struggling to find a valid reason to buy one... or not buy one.

Don't need one, but the opportunity is pretty good. I just don't want to get rid of anything I already have. :p

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Said another way, you have an opportunity to buy a low mileage car that's no longer available, and, in some cases nothing similar is available (diesel/wagon/manual transmission), for 30-40% off original MSRP, and includes a warranty that will cover just about anything that may break. Some may say that's a great deal.
I guess it depends on what you think is a “value” in today’s market. Car sales have been slow this year, across all brands. As a result dealers are trying to move 2018s that have been sitting on the lots.

I’ve been looking at options to replace my MKV Jetta. I planned on keeping it for a long time but it basically started to fall apart around 100k miles. The engine and transmission is still very strong, but everything else is falling apart. I can’t imagine a MKVI being much different in longevity after the warranty expires.

Some of the great deals I’ve seen lately on new cars this summer within a 500 mi radius.

-New Golf sportwagen 1.8T 5MT. $15.8k for an FWD S trim. Multiple to choose from.

-New Toyota Prius Prime Premium trims. $19.5K after dealer incentives and tax rebates.

-Chevy Cruze Diesel LT sedan w/ 6 speed manual. Talked a dealer down over 7k of list to 18k. Walked out because I wasn’t ready to buy.

So I guess it depends on what “value” you expect for your $$. The dieselgate cars being sold now represent a very poor value in my opinion. I’m not gonna bite.

It will be interesting what kind of deals will be offered during the 2018 inventory blowout sales in Oct/Nov/Dec on the new cars listed above. I think you can expect another 10% off or more to move these cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Depends on what you want. Only one of the cars you mention for comparison is diesel. I like the 1.8T Golf, and the 1.4TSI that's coming out next year will be better, in part because it'll have a 6-speed. But if you want a diesel...

I wonder what the interior of a Cruze will look like in 9 years.

oilhammer

TDI
What on Earth is "falling apart" on a 2009 Jetta???? I do regular services on A5 cars that are 2005s and 2006s with well over thrice the numbers on the odometer, and they are not at all falling apart. Plus, some of those cars' issues like the door harness would have already been the updated stuff by 2009.

The only common interior things I see are the headliner, which is not a huge deal to have replaced. The dash, seats, door trim, etc. all seem to hold up perfectly fine.

If I put a piece of tape over the odometer on that 2006 and told someone to take it for a spin, they would NEVER guess it had over 400k miles on it. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I spoke to a customer yesterday who said the interior was falling apart on his '03 Jetta Wagon. It has 180K miles on it. I don't know how that happens. I was driving IBW on cobblestone streets in NYC Sunday and it's still pretty rattle free and quiet, even under those circumstances, at 373K miles. Even my son's '02 Golf doesn't look bad when cleaned up, and he's really hard on car interiors. 366K on his.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
-New Golf sportwagen 1.8T 5MT. $15.8k for an FWD S trim. Multiple to choose from.
That seems like a tremendous deal for a brand new car. I never shopped one of these new. If this a 2018 with a 6yr/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty then it seems hard to beat period. But I have to doubt that you can actually get OTD for that price.

I paid almost that price OTD for my 2014 wagon and the above gives me the slightest hint of buyers remorse. Of course my car is a stick shift, diesel station wagon which makes it wicked cool (to me). It delivered 50.3 mpg (MFD calculated so more like 48 mpg) on my 100 mile trip over the weekend. It is fun to drive and I love it.

The brand new car also would have ended up costing me a couple grand extra in NH registration fees over the next 5 years.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I paid almost that price OTD for my 2014 wagon and the above gives me the slightest hint of buyers remorse. Of course my car is a stick shift, diesel station wagon which makes it wicked cool (to me). It delivered 50.3 mpg (MFD calculated so more like 48 mpg) on my 100 mile trip over the weekend. It is fun to drive and I love it.
This is the thing with diesels. They deliver excellent economy even in poor conditions. My last tank (admittedly in my MKIV) was 47.7 MPG which included sitting in some impossible traffic in NYC and running at 80+ on the way home. No gasoline anything would get close to that FE under those conditions.

oilhammer

TDI
I was peaved the body shop had my Golf all summer long, and I had to drive my gasser Passat quite a bit. I should have just swapped plates to the other ALH car I have in reserve...I would have if I knew it he was going to take his sweet time doing me a "favor". :(

52 MPG vs. 23 MPG doing 100 miles a day is an eye opener.

Fortunately ALH #3 will be online soon, won't get caught with my pants down again. Sheesh.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
What on Earth is "falling apart" on a 2009 Jetta???? I do regular services on A5 cars that are 2005s and 2006s with well over thrice the numbers on the odometer, and they are not at all falling apart. Plus, some of those cars' issues like the door harness would have already been the updated stuff by 2009.
The only common interior things I see are the headliner, which is not a huge deal to have replaced. The dash, seats, door trim, etc. all seem to hold up perfectly fine.

If I put a piece of tape over the odometer on that 2006 and told someone to take it for a spin, they would NEVER guess it had over 400k miles on it. :cool:
Not literally falling apart. Multiple issues appeared about 20k miles ago and the car left me stranded for the first time. The interior itself has held up well and the drivers seat only has a couple cracks. Paint and body also in good shape for a 10 year old car not garaged.

-C/D changer frozen
-A/C compressor went out
-Ignition locked up. Failing but still works most of the time. Needs replacement and all 5 locks re-keyed.
-drivers side wheel bearings F/R need to be replaced
-Airbag fault. Cleared once and came back. Didn’t pay $$ to troubleshoot.
-Intermittant ABS/Traction control fault comes in and illuminates the dash. Resets after an ignition cycle. Didn’t pay $$ to troubleshoot
-front struts need replacement
-strut bearings need replacement
-drivers side passenger window won’t go up all the way without tripping the child safety stop. Needs R/I door panel to troubleshoot.
-C/V boot torn on passenger side. Both boots have failed, drivers side failed early at 60k and replaced.

There is more I can’t remember everything this car needs fixed. The timing belt is due and there is damage to the front bumper, condenser and lower Valance due to a high speed collision with a tire on the freeway. It’s a good time to move on for me to something else. I could do the emissions fix and get the $$ but it wouldn’t cover the cost of all these repairs.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the thing with diesels. They deliver excellent economy even in poor conditions. My last tank (admittedly in my MKIV) was 47.7 MPG which included sitting in some impossible traffic in NYC and running at 80+ on the way home. No gasoline anything would get close to that FE under those conditions.
A Prius will get better gas mileage than a diesel. Especially at higher speeds (80+) and in stop and go traffic. Toyota now has high compression Atkinson cycle engines in all of their 2018 cars. Their thermal efficiency is over 40%, when you combine that with a hybrid drivetrain and CVT it’s easy to average over 50 MPGs.

The driving experience sucks on a Prius though... But for MPGs they are unrivaled.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe I’m out of touch with reality but it’s still a car that is 5 model years old thats been sitting outside in a field for the last 2 years.
I think most of those "sitting in the field" cars have been snapped up. The ones I'm seeing on the trucks are all 10-14s. Those are more then likely the turned in and fixed cars that were driven up to the turn in appointment.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I think most of those "sitting in the field" cars have been snapped up. The ones I'm seeing on the trucks are all 10-14s. Those are more then likely the turned in and fixed cars that were driven up to the turn in appointment.
I’ve looked at a number of Carfax reports where there is a 1-2 year gap in history after a title change. I also saw a number of CA cars end up in MI (Pontiac Superdome?). Carfax shows an ownership change in MI, then nothing for 1-2 years until sold at auction. Then listed as dealer inventory.

You can kinda decipher what happened to the cars by the Carfax reports. It’s a nice tool to have.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All of the turned cars had the titles transferred to HQ in Michigan. I highly doubt, especially after seeing the lot of VWs in Orlando, that the cars themselves travelled to Michigan and then back to wherever they are being offered for sale. There is another whole thread on this discussion.

The 1-2 year gap in history is probably the amount of time between turn in, fix, and then offered for resale. These may or may not have sat in a field but when most of us on here refer to cars that were "sitting in the field" We are specifically talking aobut the 2015 models that were pulled off the lots, mostly the shipping import lots, and set wherever someone had room to put them.