Exchanged BEW engine will not run

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
Hello all,

My timing belt broke so I decided to replace my 2005 Jetta Sedan BEW TDI engine with a 2004 BEW engine, both had manual trans. Now the engine cranks but will not start, here is what I've already tried/done;

- I checked all fuses (at door and battery).

- I pulled the glow plugs, turned the engine and NO mist or fuel was present.

- I replaced the G-28 crank sensor with the original one.

- I checked the wire continuity between G-28 and ECM - ok.

- Installed new in-tank fuel pump.

- Fully charged and boosted the battery.

- Did the ignition multi clicks, long cranks, etc.

- One possible clue is that when cranking the engine, the dash oil light does not flash.

- Also, for just a moment I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the engine did run for a second or two.

I'm out of ideas and really need advise. If you think you can help I would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
How about the tandem pump. Does your old one work? Can you swap it in place of the current one?

If you remove the fuel hoses at the fuel filter, aim them ino a cup/can and cycle the lift pump do you get about 2-4 oz of fuel each cycle?

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
I did switch to the original '05 tandem pump and no difference (the engine ran fine before the belt broke so I would have to think the pump was good). I'll try the hose disconnect tomorrow and report back.

truck240

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Since you did a full engine swap I'd double check that all the sensors are securely fastened. Start by ensuring the round plug into the head that operates the injectors has clean contacts and is secure. Make sure the coolant reservoir is topped up and the coolant sensor is plugged in. The oil pressure sensor is located on the right side of the oil filter housing. Provided fuel reaches the injectors even if they where worn out the engine will still start. Did you physically alter the position of the cam shaft pulley at all (torsion value)? Failing all else compression test the engine for peace of mind.

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
...ok, based on your comments, here is what I've also dome (still no start);

- checked fuel at filter - yes it pumps out.
- checked the round end connector (also cleaned contacts).
- checked oil and water sensors - I added water(hoping) but nothing.
- I did a compression check before swapping, was ok.
- remember, no fuel came out when I pulled the glow plugs and cranked.

Keep trying ideas please.

Thank you.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Do you know for certain your replacement engine ran *before* you swapped it in?

If so, this narrows the possibilities a lot. If not, may have to resort to basic principles: air + fuel + compression + timing

mazzystr

TDI
2004 Golf GLS Tdi (BEW)
What about the ECU and console? There's an encrypted key exchange between the FOB, the instrument cluster and the ECU. Were any of those components changed?

I'm still diving into BEW's myself so maybe one of the experts can chime in.

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
First, I did not see the engine running but was told it did - I did check compression and timing -ok. Also, it did run (right away) when I shot a bit of starting fluid in the intake. I'd think this would show that the alignments, etc are ok.

I did not change the ECM, console or keys.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Also, it did run (right away) when I shot a bit of starting fluid in the intake. I'd think this would show that the alignments, etc are ok.
Just for the sake of clarity... if you think about how a diesel operates and how volatile starting fluid is the fact that it snorted doesn't actually tell you much other than you have a couple hundred psi of compression, minimum, and no obvious blockages in the intake manifold. :)

Doesn't tell you anything about ignition or cam timing... but you said you've checked that. And you already knew you had compression. :)

Can you track down someone with VCDS and do a full scan? You likely will want to clear all codes first and then see which ones come back.

All your fuses are still fine? Nothing blew during the swap? Feels electrical to me for some reason. Glow plug light comes on briefly when the key is turned to on?

truck240

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I'd like to be the first to ask a stupid question but have you've had the valve cover off and are sure the engine still has the injectors? The injectors will work as long as they are supplied fuel and the solenoids receive electrical input.

I recently did a BEW engine swap and mine fired up very easily after key cycling a dozen times or so. Are the fuel lines to the tandem pump on correctly? Top fuel rail is supply line, middle fuel rail is return, bottom rail is coolant.