URGENT! :( need rear-pad side caliper carrier

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Have you ever broken off the slide pins in the caliper carrier? No? Well i did, ***.
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. What I did was to drill a hole from the back and used a punch to knock out the broken pin. A replacement pin is about $10 and you can seal up the hole you drilled with a cap screw.

Having said that, I have a rear carrier from a MKIV. I'm not sure if it's the same as a 97 Passat, but you are welcome to it if you can make it to Whitby before midnight.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
Ill try the hole approach

i think the mk4 rear caliper is different, i dont think you need to remove the carrier to remove the rotors like i just did.

when i broke the top of the pin off, i pulled the boot off and seemingly a handful of rust dust poured out. Odd thing is that the drivers side had a ripped boot and hadnt seized at all, grease got a little gummy but no serious rust

****ing car

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Tell you what. I'll leave the carrier on my front porch tonight. If you really need to get the car running for the morning, you can come by my place and grab it as you'll need a new pin anyway. It has pins in it, but one of them needs persuasion :rolleyes:

My address is 22 Hanlan Crt in Whitby.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
I appreciate that wingnut, im going out to the garage to drill them out, good thing i bought that 30 piece cobalt set clearanced at ct

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
punching them out through the back was a no go, didnt even budge.

im going to try to find some pics of the carriers, see if they are a match, and hopefully if they are, and my girlfriend feels like coming home, ill drop by and pick it up

heh

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Don't know if you're still stuck, but the "punch from the rear" method can be a lot ore effective if you heat the part of the carrier where the pin is stuck. If you have a decent propane torch, preferably with MAP gas, you can get it hot enough that the pin should pound out through the hole you drilled.

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
Josef at ecowagens ended up helping me out

he had the bracket, the allen head bolts and the rubber boots.

great guy

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
Although a bit out of the way, when my jetta's rear were seized, I picked up replacements from The Source for VW, about $10 each IIRC

rhinoman

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Ran into the same issue yesterday, and honestly didn't realize that these pins could be replaced. While there is little/no flex in the pin right now, I'm able to forcibly turn it with a wrench.. Just a counter-clockwise removal and then re-insert the new pin ?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The pin is siezing in the bore.

What you need to do it to work the pin back and forth (rotating) while pulling the pin out of the bore. I find that two wrenches work well for this- one to rotate the pin, and the other (open end) to exert outward force to pull the pin out of the carrier.

Just rotating the pin will not work, as there are no threads in there. :D

rhinoman

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
Off to Partsource now to get replacement pins. Sadly Canadian Tire doesn't stock them :(

edit: got there and they had made a mistake, but ordered from the only warehouse in Ottawa that is open on Sundays. Finally got them and will throw it on tomorrow. Thanks for the hints on getting it off. Ironically I checked my rolling resistance on the way back home and it's better. Still going to swap it just for my own sanity :)

Last edited:

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
more caliper pin woes...

I'm suffering the same problem (seized pins not broken). I've ordered new pins from IDparts but my question is whether or not it's advisable to reuse the carriers given that it's had the pin seized inside of it. I've reamed out the shafts where the pins are inserted with brake cleaner and a brass bottle brush. Do y'all that's sufficient or should I replace the carriers as well?