Relay 109 tried to open a can of whoop ass on me

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I was 2 states away from home, go to start the car and nothing but the eng turning over. After looking over a few things and considering my options I remembered that relay I read about on TDI club and how I put a spare in the glove compartment about 6 years ago.

Just wanted to remind everyone of the importance of this, and thanks to whomever reminded me years ago!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
ive been there... lol.

I unfortunately didn't heed the advice and had to crack mine open in the parking lot and rig it up so I could get home.

now I keep one in the glovebox.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Oh man....Thanks for this reminder. I need to get an extra one and leave it in the glove box.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
ive been there... lol.

I unfortunately didn't heed the advice and had to crack mine open in the parking lot and rig it up so I could get home.
This is why I dont carry one. It's simple enough to bypass, personally, I will would rather fix it on the side of the road to get home than slap in a new one. I mean, where is the adventure in that? Where is the McGyver in dropping in something premade?

It's like kitchen knives these days. They are made to rarely need to be sharpened. I would rather hit it with my steel before using it every time than send it in for someone else to sharpen. But the majority of people either don't want to do that or they don't know how. Using my skills to how a knife or fix a relay feels better to me than the alternative.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I've been driving my 2nd A3 for the past 3 months, and the water pump popped a leak today. So it's back to A3 #1, which has been sitting for that same duration, with a 2A solar trickle charger.

Tried to start it, and it cranked a few times, then no more battery. Pulled #2 around to jump it, and it cranked a few times, then no go. Repeat 15 more times. No go. OK, fuel lines look empty, so maybe they dripped back into the tank over time (it seemed to have that problem before, taking 3-5 seconds to start instead of 1). Spend 30 minutes looking for my mityvac. Finally find it-- in #1's trunk. Been driving #2, so that's where it should've been.

Pump it a few times, and fuel squirts right away. The hell? Hook the line back up. No go. Start thinking about what else I can drive to work tomorrow. Then I remember 109, which has -not- been a problem. Turn the key on, and.... no CEL. Jiggle 109, CEL comes on. Turn key to start, and it starts.

Bleh.