Eurotrash Motorsports: W8 4Motion to BHW swap

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
it appears to have been gasoline left over in the tank...we drained everything up but perhaps there was some that got trapped in the various compartments of the 4mo tank so what we think was happening is it was boiling/evaporating when the fuel temps raised sufficiently which would explain all the air in the fuel lines with new injector seals and brand new fuel pump...we drained the tank again, filled it up again and the issue disappeared....quite strange to be honest - wasted A LOT of time trying to diagnose this

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
I watched your YouTube video and it looks like my W8 tip has about the same top gear ratio.
I also have a BHW swapped GLX 4mo. Quite honestly I just prefer the way the W8 drives. And so after seeking out a B5.5 4MO tdi O1E (and acquiring it), I kind of miss the autobox. Not to mention the TC does a fine job of smoothing out the vibrations.
On that note, I want to inquire whether you or anyone else might know of the challenges with mating the BHW to the W8 5HP19. Everyone seems to go with a standard trans when swapping. I understand that the O1E can handle more torque and that the slush boxes have their own challenges, but would it be conceivably possible to run a BHW mated to the original tiptronic transmission? Why not use the BHW TCU and perhaps the valve body from an 05 Passat GMR in the w8? ECU and TCU will talk to each other. TCU will control GMR valve body. But...will the GMR VB work with W8 trans? I mean...gearing is pretty good, but whether or not shift-points would be compliant (or vb physically connect to W8 trans) is a big question mark.
Of course the torque converter would need to be spec'd for the tdi, but other than that..
Why not?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would think that the TCU at the very least would need to be reprogrammed - the ratios would be wrong and set codes if you tried the BHW GMR TCU.

I would check with the tuners to see if that's something they do before contemplating the swap.

Lemme get this right - you have a (I assume already converted) B5.5 4mo TDI 01E, and you want to swap it to an auto?

In addition to the transmission issues, I would guess that the rear diff would also need to be swapped.

Why not just leave it as-is with the 01E?

Or sell it and import a 4mo autobox TDI B5.5 from germany?

B4Ugo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat 1Z, 2003 W8 TIP, 2004 GLX 4motion wagon 6spd tdi.
I realize now this is a bit of a hijack sorry for that.
I have two different cars; a bhw converted GLX w/O1E, and a W8 w/tip.
When I saw nitec’s video I realized the W8 gearing is similar in both standard and auto. So it gave me the idea to mate a BHW to the W8 drivetrain (trans and rear diff already match).
Totally separate project from GLX. That will stay intact.
I should start a separate thread on it.