2012 Passat TDI Comfortline Test Drive

EOTS

TDI
Used to own '09 Jetta TDI 6M
I am considering making a move to replace my '09 Jetta TDI (6M) with '12 Passat TDI.

I stopped by my local VW dealership yesterday to check out on what they have on hand. The sales agent immediately lead me to a Comfortline (SE in the States!) in the lot equipped with leatherette seats, sunroof & TDI engine mated to a DSG. He offered to go for a spin with me.

Once on the raod, I immediately noticed that the DSG behaves totally different from the one in the Jetta I test drove in 2009. This one works almost like a conventional automatic. Up shifts were quick and down shifts were smooth and no jerking as in the first generation DSG's. I was sold!

The freeway run showed that the chassis was built to eat up miles with ease. The ride was quiet with minimal road noise on black top and moderate amount of tire noise on concrete surfaces. The chassis was tuned for ride comfort and yet return a reasonable amount of control on curves and corners. It was an acceptable compromise. The driver seat was fairly comfortable and blind spots are easy enough to check.

The Passast feels bigger than the Jetta. Naturally, its turning radius is larger than the Jetta and caution must be exercised while backing into a parking space or garage. I am guessing the Passat could be as much as 12 inches longer than my '09 Jetta.

In an case, I came away impressed with the car. Yes, the exterior styling is nothing to write home about, but the interior is at least one class above that in the Jetta. It is a comfortable car to spend time in for those long commutes and road trips. The 800-mile per tank cruising range is nothing short of impressive.

I may just make the move within the next few weeks but I have not decided to get the 6M tranny or the DSG which is not an inexpensive option!

Anyone ready to share their test drives of the new Passat TDI?!

EOTS

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I think the new Passat has a nice solid ride. I've driven the previous version and I'd say the new one is significantly better in terms of comfort. The 17" wheels with Continental tires on the SE are better than the 18" wheels on the SEL, particularly when it comes to noise. The stock stereo is pretty nice, although not as good as the Dynaudio in the Golf/Tiguan. I agree that the DSG seems smoother.

The prop rod for the hood and the gooseneck hinges for the trunk don't bother me. But, I do think VW should have put in rear vents for the TDIs, as well as the protective chrome strips.

A friend of mine thought the black Leatherette is actually leather when she sat in a Passat SE.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I haven't driven the Passat yet. The only thing I would rethink are the leatherette seats. I have them in my Jetta and will NOT in any future car. Those seats are sweat boxes for me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was impressed with the DSG as well. I generally don't like automatics but that transmission did exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it. And I have to wonder if using urea injection allows them to tune the engine for better driveability. I didn't experience any of the hesitation I felt when test driving an Audi A3 with the DSG.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Picked up my 2012 Passat TDI SEL two days ago. Having driven a 2009 TDI JSW for the last couple of years and 83k miles I can tell you the Passat is a more than worthy replacement. I loved the JSW and had zero issues except for a few bulbs.
So far my highway millage at 70 mph has been 46-47 mpg according to the MFD. The MFD in the JSW was dead accurate when ever I checked it.
Tire noise with the 18" wheels is not an issue, it is quieter than the 17" Continentals on the JSW.

Last edited:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Thanks. Where did you get it?

I am in my car every day and this summer has been the hottest one in a long time. Every day my dress shirt is soaked all down my back!

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
I for one love leatherette, probably because I don't live in a very hot area.

They don't crack like leather, tear and stain like cloth.

I have a B5.5 Passat TDI with leatherette and a B5.5 Passat V6 4motion with leather. Leather is cracked so badly it's embarassing to look at.

Where as the leatherette seats look as good as they were when new.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I bought it at WallyWorld for $12. And due to the F-up seat angle I use one of these to keep my middle back straight. The side benefit is it prevents sweaty back, too. I tend to ride with it higher up the seat than shown in this Google photo:

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
I went from a 2009 TDI Manual Wagon to a Comfortline DSG. It is better in every way even though the Jetta was a great vehicle.