bad injection pump. Please help

barns30

TDI
1996 passat wagon TDI
So I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that someone on here can help me out.
I own a 1996 B4V Passat TDI with a 1z motor in it.
Alittle back story to my problem.

I recently did a timing belt change on the car and I thought that I did it right. Motor turn over by hand just fine after the belt change so I then turned it over by the key and the car wouldn't fire. After a few weeks of screwing around with it I finally threw in the towel and had it towed to the shop. The shop got back to me and the timing was just alittle off and the pump needed to be timed. Once all that happened the car fired off perfectly however the injection pump was leaking so I had it towed home. I ordered the pump seals from diesel geek and replaced the two top seals and the head seal. Got the car all put back together again and it fired right up. No leaks! victory was mine. I plugged in the vag com and tuned the pump to spec.
Everything was put back together and the car seemed to be running great. so I took it for its first drive.
first problem reared its ugly head. It seemed to have very low power in first gear and into second gear as well, And then the second problem reared its ugly head LOTS of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Drove the car home and had it towed back to the shop. This was a Friday.
Shop looked over the car again and called me back and said that the pump timing was off, that they have fixed it and my car is running great! and is ready to be picked up.
I was heading out of town for the weekend so I asked if it was ok for my car to sit there for the weekend and I would come get it on Monday. They said that wasn't a problem and we hung up.
Alittle bit of time goes by and I got a phone call from the shop saying that they took the car on one more test drive to make sure that everything was 100% and during their test drive the car completely died on them :mad: and that it actually now wasn't ready to be picked up.
weekend goes by and I hear back from them. they think that my pump is bad. so they pulled the pump out of the car and sent to pump to another shop to be tested. turns out that somehow my pump has grenaded itself and cannot be repaired. :confused::mad:

so my question to you guys is what do I do now!? ive tried finding a new pump and haven't had any luck. ive been able to find some remand pumps but I now have my concerns with those since I don't know really know what I'm buying. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a gamble. are the remand pumps ok?

I read on here that you can do the ALH pump swap into my car however I don't have the time right now to do that and also my ego has taken a pretty big hit on working on my car myself right now. honest truth. I also don't know if the shop that has my car would be willing to do the swap. I guess ill have to call them tomorrow and ask. Would that be what you guys would recommend I do?

Thank you for reading my novel. hopefully you can help with some insight on my problem. this whole thing is very frustrating and confusing. I just still don't understand how my pump can be working and then just blow up
Thank you again
Alex

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Finding a new VW pump or VW refurb isn't impossible, but it may be very time consuming. Your car is 20+ years old...

I'm running a rebuilt pump and no issues, thus far. I'm also running a pump that I tore down and did a full reseal on and no issues, thus far.

Personally, I'd find a known good pump from a running car and bolt it on. It'll be a ton cheaper and faster.

I'm curious what was found, once your pump was tested.

With timing that walks, many look at the crank sprocket. They've been known to loosen up and cause issues that you're experiencing.

-Todd

barns30

TDI
1996 passat wagon TDI
So from what I understand when they took apart my pump the camplate is broken and another part of the pump is broken as well can't remember what it's called. I guess they don't sell those parts anymore.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
***... how do you break the camplate....? Maybe the plunger or rotor springs, but the camplate?

I'd get your pump back, but it's time for a new pump.

-Todd

barns30

TDI
1996 passat wagon TDI
I have zero clue. I sent them my injectors to have them pop tested. They said the injectors could cause the problem.
I am definitely getting the pump back from them. I had several people tell me about the shop that has the pump so I trust them. I just can't remember the parts that are broken on it. Im pretty positive it's the cam plate.
This whole thing is confusing.
Where did you get your demand pump from?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Usually it's the plunger that breaks when people replace the head seal and get the head cocked when tightening the bolts.

The plunger/cam plate are one piece so the plate prolly broke off the plunger.

Interesting that it ran at all.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless I'm thinking of something different, the cam plate and plunger are 2 separate components.

I got my rebuild from Bora Parts.

-Todd

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I used to rebuild these pumps. Occasionally the intermediate plate between the cam and drive shaft wears and also wears the cam ears and driveshaft ears. I've never seen one broken though.

Since it's a 1Z check the crank sprocket. Those tend to round off and then there goes your engine. That happens by the timing drifting just like you posted.

The ALH pump is no better than the 1Z.

Get your pump back and show us some pics of the broken parts.

barns30

TDI
1996 passat wagon TDI
Thank you for all the replys. I do plan on getting my pump back and as soon as I do I will post up the photos of the pump. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a rebuilt pump. Just trying to find the best deal out there. I'll check out bora parts. Thanks for some direction. The price of these pumps are all over the map.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bora Parts is now Cascade German... Google either and you'll get to the same place.

Most places are going to want a core, and if yours has broken parts, I doubt that'll qualify.

-Todd

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Thank you for all the replys. I do plan on getting my pump back and as soon as I do I will post up the photos of the pump. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a rebuilt pump. Just trying to find the best deal out there. I'll check out bora parts. Thanks for some direction. The price of these pumps are all over the map.
Avoid any pumps from Prothe, and whatever other alias names that vendor uses.