DPF Delete

BILLVO

TDI
2014 jetta sedan tdi 6 spd
Thanks for all the info guys, ordered a dpf delete kit with egr block plate and resonator from Buzzken and he put me in touch with Andrew @ fix my vw in Georgia for a stage 2 Malone tune. Now I wait for parts.
I was going to go with an eco tune but he claimed that the stage 2 was the most popular and yields the best overall mileage gains as well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. I believe you will be getting a stage 2 "Eco" tune. The eco tunes are for cars with dpf deletes. The stage 2 non eco tune is for cars w intact emissions equipment.

Sumfuncomet

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
You will have to let us know what you think. I have the Rawtek system with the hi flow cat and factory muffler. You do hear turbo spool and whistle. The exhaust note itself is quite mild, a little raspier than stock. The tune is awesome, it is so smooth. Feels like a whole different car, pulls harder in every gear(6MT). Another huge improvement is a rear sway bar, relatively cheap but a major difference in handling feel.
I have NOT lowered my car, I like a car with lots of travel and clearance for the roads in Maine. I do run factory 17" with Michelin PS for the summer. I have a set of 16" wheels with Michelin Ice for the winter which I have not used yet.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have the Malone 2.0 Eco with Rawtek and straight thru midpipe to the factory rear muffler. Very happy with it overall. The fuel mileage bump is nice as well. My mfd display still shows an average "2" display of around 43 mpg but the hand calculated is regularly between 46 and 48. I did a whole highway tank few days ago and got 49.9 hand calculated. Not bad in my book. The car also seems to be much happier with no regen to worry about.

SoxFanTDI

TDI
2010 Golf
You will have to let us know what you think. I have the Rawtek system with the hi flow cat and factory muffler. You do hear turbo spool and whistle. The exhaust note itself is quite mild, a little raspier than stock. The tune is awesome, it is so smooth. Feels like a whole different car, pulls harder in every gear(6MT). Another huge improvement is a rear sway bar, relatively cheap but a major difference in handling feel.
I have NOT lowered my car, I like a car with lots of travel and clearance for the roads in Maine. I do run factory 17" with Michelin PS for the summer. I have a set of 16" wheels with Michelin Ice for the winter which I have not used yet.
Hey, since you're the first person on here in New England I've seen with the DPF delete/tune, was wondering where you got the work done. Everyone I've contacted in CT says it's illegal blah blah blah.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hey, since you're the first person on here in New England I've seen with the DPF delete/tune, was wondering where you got the work done. Everyone I've contacted in CT says it's illegal blah blah blah.
A DPF delete is illegal in all 50 states per EPA.
Weather your local state/county enforces it with emissions testing is the question ;)

Considering how population dense it is in New England I would suspect that you may just be able to get a tune with no delete.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Ask them if you can take it by after hours and that you have cash. It's not a terribly difficult job in the garage either.

BILLVO

TDI
Got it all done finally and got the Malone stage 2 program recommended by Andrew of fix my vw said the higher power level of the tune yields better mpg gains than the lower tunes from their experience. This thing has a super smooth power band and as stated prior pulls hard and the turbo spools way faster than stock. Since I got mine with the resonator it does have a different sound but is still close to stock but a small bit raspier as also stated above, I have a hearing impairment so I can not hear the turbo inside the cab myself but only drove it about 20 miles or so.
It is my wife's car and she has a smile a mile wide with the new found power, she loves how it runs now as compared to stock as well.
Now to see what it does for fuel economy, I told her to keep close tabs on it over the next few tanks to get a baseline during her normal daily driving.
I have to say it was a total pain in the butt getting the old DPF shoehorned out of the car without dropping the sub-frame an inch like Rawtek recommends but it does come out with some finessing of the insulation on the firewall tunnel.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
post that DOC cat on the for sale list. folks with a bad model year 09 DPF who want to /have to keep the DPF need that cat to use a rebuilt DPF.

recycle the bad DPF too, worth more than a few $$ to a recycler.

BILLVO

TDI
post that DOC cat on the for sale list. folks with a bad model year 09 DPF who want to /have to keep the DPF need that cat to use a rebuilt DPF.

recycle the bad DPF too, worth more than a few $$ to a recycler.
Thanks for the advice, I was going to hang onto all the parts as it may be a selling point in the future to still have them available with the car.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Since I got mine with the resonator it does have a different sound but is still close to stock but a small bit raspier..
I also got the resonator and still have the rear muffler. Besides the turbo whistle, it remains close to stock sound when driven easy but over 50% throttle produces a loud barking sound. My wife says it sounds like there is a hole in the muffler. Can anyone confirm this is normal for DPF delete?

BILLVO

TDI
I would recheck all the clamps to see if they are tight and sealing, I did several full throttle romps for several seconds in the top 3 gears and did not notice any extra noises on ours.
With a resonator and factory muffler there should be no barking at all.

BILLVO

TDI
Mileage went from 38-39 average before deletes to the first tank through it after delete my wife hand calculated at 45.8 mpg and that was normal daily driving mix of town and hiway. Not bad in my book.

W123Refugee

TDI
2010 Jetta
A question for you all, I was interested in installing the Eco DPF delete on my 2010 Jetta but had a question regarding the tunes...the 0.5 Malone tune says it doesn't require a transmission tune but the others say they do. What exactly is involved in a transmission tune? Never heard of such a thing. But as my name would indicate I'm coming from a world of Jurassic cars.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Trans tune is relatively easy to DIY... basically take off the airbox and find a plug on the transmission to connect a rented interface cable that goes to your laptop. It will take maybe 2 hours max the first time you do it.

This is as complicated as it is:

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
you only need to "tune" the DSG.
that's why you bought a manual, right?

you have to "tune" it to play nice with the added power from the higher stage engine tunes. i've also heard that the "tune" by itself gives the DSG a better, sportier feel and some people do it even without other engine tuning. if i owned one, i would definitely do it even though it adds significantly to the price of an already costly process.