FS: 1996 Passat Wagon B4V $5,500

gromitbeast

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon 1996 B4V, Navy blue. 1999.5 Jetta Black
FS: 1996 Passat Wagon B4V $4,000 NW Illinois

Hello TDI Clubbers,
After nearly two years with this beauty (and now a new baby), my wife has decided it is time for a minivan. I bought the wagon from TDI club member JerryPT who I believe bought it from Moogly. It's been a good vehicle. I'll copy and paste Jerry's description below and link to it as well here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362514
Just found the original sale post by Moogly here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=275188
Nice to have all the history on it!
Vehicle is located in Freeport, IL 61032
The vehicle now has ~270k miles on it with ~170k miles on the engine/tranny. I was planning to take it up the half a million but...happy wife happy life so somebody else will need to go for it. It starts like a champ on the first crank every time...even during the Polar Vortex. No smoke and doesn't seem to be losing or burning any fluids.
The good since I've owned it:
-New Starter in 2013
-New tires in 2013
-New parking brake cable in 2013
-2 new wheel bearings in 2013
-New brakes and rotors all around in 2013
-Oil changed 2012 and 2013
- New wiper blades 2014
- New fuel filter 2014
- Added cross beams to roof rack
- I have a trailer hitch that I have not yet installed but will be given to the lucky buyer for installation should he or she choose to do so.
The bad since I've owned it:
1. Ignition switch in the "crank" position no good. Rather than pull the dash I just added a manually wired push button switch. I like to call it my personal theft deterrent as most people can't figure out how to start it unless they are told how.
2. I think there is an electrical problem with the AC compressor as it's not kicking on when the AC button is pushed but I haven't had a chance to diagnose.
3. All the doors latches are a bit sticky. Probably an easy fix...I haven't had time to look at it recently.
4. One of the external plastic modlings on the door fell off.
5. The odometer comes in and out, I think it might be a loose connection on the back.
6. Front turn signal clips need to be replaced to hold them in better, right now I'm using string...which works ok...but needs to be repaired properly.
7. Still throws the CEL referenced below...but it's been doing that for the 10,000 miles I've been driving it and doesn't seem to be a problem.
I think that about covers it. Pictures are posted at: https://plus.google.com/photos/100300971617064582658/albums/5987827545308846033
PM me or call/text me at 815six160zero77 if you are interested. I'll add to/edit this post if I think of anything else.
Kind Regards,
Nick Malkewicz
Now Jerry's description of the vehicle from 2012...still accurate today:
The largest Passat ever made by VW, roomy for three adults in back. Nice dark blue with tan interior, VW sunroof, and many new parts over the last year so that everything works well and will last for many years to come.
Power windows and door locks, cruise control, tilt wheel, driver's seat has lumbar adjustment. Rear luggage cover still there.
260,000 miles, but with the newer motor and transmission this car has many years to go. I ran some biodiesel in 2010.
Astute denizens of Fred's will recognize this as the B4V I bought from mogly early in 2010. He did much of the work listed below, and is a reputable TDI wrench.
There were questions about bringing it to the US from Canada. I went through the hoops and paid the money to get it to Wisconsin legally, have a clean title, etc.
I replaced the AC compressor, etc. as listed below. I have many receipts, though not all.
VIN: WVWHG83AOTE112466
Work completed
Motor replaced, newer AHU from 1998 Jetta with 150,000 miles
5 speed manual transmission replaced, from Jetta with 150,000 miles
New timing belt, tensioner, and crank bolt; all 3 motor mounts; water pump and thermostat.
Rebuilt Bosch alternator
Intake manifold cleaned
Heater core replaced- expensive, difficult job, good for many more winters
Air conditioning system replaced- new Sanden compressor, receiver/dryer, refrigerant
New front brake rotors and pads, rears cleaned and adjusted (70% remaining), parking brake cables replaced
New cabin air, fuel, oil, and air filters
Viton inter-injector (fuel return) lines
Four wheel alignment
Work in 2011
New battery- Oct.
Vacuum leak repaired
#2 glow plug replaced
Detailed
Oil & filter change- Nov.
Engine and cabin air filters
Fuel filter
Work in 2012
New sway bar bushings.
New Bilstein TC rear struts.
Another new glow plug.
New fuel filter
Replaced driver's window motor and regulator
Oil & filter change, October 21 Amsoil synthetic Euro oil 5w40
Occasionally throws a CEL. Vag-com shows nothing definitive.
Clean underbody, good exhaust system. One small spot of rust.
A few dings, the exterior is not perfect. The left front fender was repainted and doesn't look as good as the rest.

Last edited:

gromitbeast

TDI
Bump w/price drop $4k

Maybe this is too old to bump...price drop to $4k

Should note:
- New Battery!
- Vehicle is now located in Champaign, IL 61820
- The trailer hitch is installed
- This thing still runs like a champion despite lots of (what I consider) cosmetic issues.

Thanks for looking,
Nick 815 616 0077

Last edited:

gromitbeast

TDI
Bump with a price drop to $3k

Price drop to $3k, still have it, still runs great. Life has kept me busy so haven't logged in for quite a while!

-Nick