Exhaust Flap TSB

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
i called VW Canada yesterday and they stated that this Friday a mail will go out to all affected TDI owners (in Canada) stating that the warranty for that part will be extended to 193k km. And there will be a process to follow for reimbursement if you had it fixed prior to this extension... we shall see...

bil

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL, traded 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Flap replaced under warranty to the suprise of dealer.

I think I was the first flap to be replace by my dealer. When they gave me the $695 price all I said was that it is covered under VWofA extended warranty. After a little shock, speaking with management, (offers of covering half the cost) and a few calls to VWofA, it was covered at no cost, they even gave me a nice car to drive. I had a MIL P0401, started just after my 40K service, only when raining but after 6K more of driving came on and off more regularly. This is VIN specific so call and ask.
After returning home I called VWofA to ask about other warranties that might apply to this system, they said the DPF is covered under the 8/80,000 but the EGR filter is not covered but that I should call if I have any issue, they like to review each case. They were very friendly about helping, I was pleased.

MAJSW

TDI
2013 JSW 6sp/Pano/Nav/Tempest Blue
So was this fixed for 2013 cars then given they are not included in the TSB?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
2013 were porbably not included because they'er not old enough to have the failures.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
JSWTDI09 stated that they were coming up with a new design for the valve based on whatever he saw...so my question is is this something that is coming or is a revised part already here?

If there is no revised part out yet, thus current claims getting replaced with the same failure prone part right now....I don't see the point in some of the mentions of temp unplugging to set the code for the purpose of getting it replaced, or for those that would ordinarily (attempt to) free it up themselves before going to get it changed, until either the revised part surfaces or else getting close to the covered mileage cutoff.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
JSWTDI09 stated that they were coming up with a new design for the valve based on whatever he saw...so my question is is this something that is coming or is a revised part already here?

If there is no revised part out yet, thus current claims getting replaced with the same failure prone part right now....I don't see the point in some of the mentions of temp unplugging to set the code for the purpose of getting it replaced, or for those that would ordinarily (attempt to) free it up themselves before going to get it changed, until either the revised part surfaces or else getting close to the covered mileage cutoff.
I am curious as well. I am going in for my 20K service soon and may ask my service manager about this.

MrExcuse

TDI
Golf Highline, 2011, United Grey
Just had this changed under warranty at 83k on a 2011 golf. Was also told it would be around 650 to change but the dealer (Crosby) would submit to vw first. In they end it was done outside of the warranty with no hassles.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
For the Canadian owners, I got a letter today from VW Canada announcing the warranty coverage on my 2012 Jetta TDI. If you don't get a letter soon I would call to request one.

It advises to keep a copy with the owner's manual, and that it is transferable. I would let them know if you move so you can be kept up to date on new notices.

Gary
:) :)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I read on one of these flap threads that this is an easy thing to replace and only takes a few minutes with a 3/8" hex drive so I'm having a hard time understanding the $650 replacement cost by VW. Is it all in the cost of the part or what? Maybe I misunderstood.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
I received notice from VOA-
Warranty Extension for Engine Exhaust Flap
"Certain 2009-2012 (Engine Codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA)"

States warranty will be extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles

It clearly states certain conditions which it will not cover the Flap-

• non-EPA or CARB certified parts.

• Engines that have been chipped or tuned ECMs not approved by VW

• Damage inflicted to flap caused by outside influences (accidents, misused, or neglect)

JettaNite

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
Extended Warranty

I just received the letter...
I had mine replaced about 3 mos, so I am getting copies of the invoices together to get a refund...per the letter!

andyg75

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I received notice from VOA-
Warranty Extension for Engine Exhaust Flap
"Certain 2009-2012 (Engine Codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA)"

States warranty will be extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles

It clearly states certain conditions which it will not cover the Flap-

• non-EPA or CARB certified parts.

• Engines that have been chipped or tuned ECMs not approved by VW

• Damage inflicted to flap caused by outside influences (accidents, misused, or neglect)
Which chips/tunes are approved by VW?

jeb007

TDI
2013 JSW DSG (2010 JSW 6M; traded)
I got my letter today, too. My MIL has been intermittent as described in the TSB. For a while I thought that it was temperature dependent, but that seemed to change recently.

I called about the part price when it first happened and was quoted about $400, I think. I decided to wait and am now glad I did; should get fixed without having to wait for a reimbursement. :)

zukman86

TDI
Jetta 98
My exhaust valve (2010 Cup Edition) has been acting up for the last few months but I figured next oil change I would take it a part and clean. When I got the Bulletin in the mail I decided to take it in to get replaced. I dropped the car off this am. I got a phone call mid morning from the service tech saying they can not connect to my car with there scanner. It is giving error saying they can not connect to network. I told them I just scanned it with my VCDS with no problem. One of there techs had a VCDS and scanned the car and pulled the code to replace the flapper. Although it shows the code was there they would not replace the valve becauce they were not using the proper scanner to back up their warranty refund. Has anyone had this connection error at the dealer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Again how is this thread not a sticky?

Sounds like there are issues with the dealers scan tool, maybe another dealer would have better luck.

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just received my warranty extension/ reimbursement form today in the mail, looking forward to sending it in tomorrow! Nice chunk of change, it cost me $670 to diagnose and repair the exhaust flap when it broke at around 40K...

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I received a letter in the mail Saturday from VW stating that they've extended the warranty to 10 years/120,00 miles on the part.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I Just Got My EEF Extended Warranty Letter in Mail

(EEF) Engine Exhaust Flap is now covered for 10 years and 120,000 miles.

What I got in the mail, a letter with two sides for 2009-2012 Model Year, VW 2.0L TDI, Engine Codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA, notifying the extension of warranty for the EEF.

Also in the envelope is a tri-fold prepaid post card, which allows you to make a claim if you already had an issue and paid to fix it. Another part of the allows you to change address or let them know you no longer have car, sold, scraped, etc.

I see no need for action if you are the owner and they have your correct address.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
just toss the letter of the extended warranty in your owners manaul for future referance.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
just toss the letter of the extended warranty in your owners manaul for future referance.
I personally keep a log book for that. Every receipt, work invoice, or important documentation regarding my car is kept in it with the exception of fuel receipts (scanned into my computer).

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Are all Mk 6 TDI owners supposed to receive this letter?

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
20K oil change next weekend, should I bother printing this and bringing it in just to have them take a look?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension
Volkswagen has extended the Emissions Control Systems Warranty for engine exhaust flap replacement under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date, for certain 2009 – 2012 Model Year Volkswagen 2.0 L TDI® Clean Diesel Engine vehicles with engine codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA.

This warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
What is the Problem
Volkswagen has determined that under specific conditions, certain deficiencies affecting the engine exhaust flap could make the engine exhaust flap susceptible to degraded performance. If this happens, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the instrument cluster may illuminate due to the presence of specific fault codes caused by a faulty engine exhaust flap. Volkswagen has not identified any vehicle drivability concerns related to this issue.
Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this bulletin) may cause the MIL in the vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be prepared to cover all diagnosis and repair costs for these other, unrelated conditions.
What does this Warranty Extension Cover
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the engine exhaust flap.
What is Not Covered Under This Warranty Extension
This warranty extension will not cover:
 Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components (“chipped” or “tuned” ECMs) not approved by Volkswagen.
 Other conditions unrelated to the engine exhaust flap that may cause the MIL to illuminate. These conditions may require repairs that are needed for proper diagnosis of the underlying condition. Any repairs that are (1) necessary for proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle’s emission system up to factory specifications are not covered by this warranty extension.
 Damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect, as well as repairs that are (1) necessary for proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory specifications are not covered by this warranty extension.
Repair Procedure
Refer to Technical Bulletin Instance Number 2031583 for the applicable repair procedure.
Vehicle Eligibility
To determine if a vehicle is eligible for the Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension, check the VIN in ElsaWeb > Vehicle-Specific Notes > Vehicle Data. If the warranty extension is applicable to the vehicle, the "Enhanced Coverage" section of the "Vehicle Data" screen in ElsaWeb will be populated with the warranty extension parameters.

Warranty extensions are just that, warranty not recall. Second TSBs always are xx-xx-xx being all numbers, other info such as warranty circulars, how to set up a scan tool, etc. are xxx-xx-xx the first three digits being letters. Also not everything that shows up in the campaign screen at the dealer is a "recall". Some are just product updates and only apply when new car warranty is still valid.

[steps off small soap box]

Be happy that VW stepped up to the plate and decided to cover a part that they know needs improvement. They could have been cheap and let customer foot the bill. Just sayin'

Jason

JettaNite

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
Check Received

Submitted my receipts for the replacement I did about 8 weeks ago...received the check on Friday.

I submitted the stuff the same week I received the card from VW (so sometime in March)

I kept copies of all the docs as I thought they may short me some $$, but no, they reimbursed ALL of it (was about $900 total)....