Exhaust Flap TSB

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I was informed by my local dealer that there is a new TSB on the exhaust flap (typically shows up as a MIL with a P047F code error) covering the part for 10 years/120K miles.

I haven't seen the TSB but this would seem to be good news for owners who have this issue occur outside of the warranty period (I was previously told that it was not covered under emissions warranty or powertrain).

I was able to free up the flap with some PB Blaster and the code went away but will get this replaced with the dealer as soon as the code comes back (which is VERY likely).

Motox502

TDI
13' Golf TDI DSG
Can you get the TSB number so I can verify it. My moms went out and I had to buy her a new one. Maybe I can get a refund....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know that there is a TSB about troubleshooting the P047F DTC and it states that they are designing a newer version of the exhaust valve. I have not seen anything about an extended warranty on this part (which does not mean it is untrue). I also do not know if/when the new version will be available. Time will tell.

Have Fun!

Don

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Since I've had this valve replaced by the dealer outside of warranty, is it SOP for VW to reimburse me now for the parts and labor upon my request?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Waiting TSB number patiently, currently have a CEL for P047 and P048, it's been off on since December.

That'd be great news, sadly VW would eat so much coin because i'd dare say 100% of the flap valves are going to need replacement in 10 years or 120K miles, I hardly made it half the miles in just over 3 years.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!!

Everyone driving in wet/snow weather will have this issue, and many have already shelled out $700+ to have this part replaced.

Who's going to be the first to get that $700 bucks back from VWoA after bringing this up to the dealer?

TSB isn't a recall, you have to bring the car into the dealer with a code or some sort of issue that will then direct the tech to replace the part with their guided fault finding. (same thing with the iced intercooler)

This one will be pretty easy,
are codes P047 or P048 stored? -> yes
can you operate the valve by hand? ->no
is the wiring good? -> yes

replace valve

clear codes, restart see if codes reapear.

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Waiting TSB number patiently, currently have a CEL for P047 and P048, it's been off on since December.

That'd be great news, sadly VW would eat so much coin because i'd dare say 100% of the flap valves are going to need replacement in 10 years or 120K miles, I hardly made it half the miles in just over 3 years.
Mine has a very low chance of failure:cool:

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So does this mean they replace them all like a recall or just when they fail?
No. It is a TSB. If you show up with a P047f code at your dealer, there is almost a 100% chance you will get a new flap. If you're worried about your flap, you could intentionally disconnect the connector to set a code related to the flap, plug it back in, then show up at your VW dealer with the MIL lamp illuminated for your "free flap". I'm just sayin'......

salad

TDI
2011 JSW, 2012 Q7
No. It is a TSB. If you show up with a P047f code at your dealer, there is almost a 100% chance you will get a new flap. If you're worried about your flap, you could intentionally disconnect the connector to set a code related to the flap, plug it back in, then show up at your VW dealer with the MIL lamp illuminated for your "free flap". I'm just sayin'......

The dealer here knows nothing about it and said to call vwoa. Wonder how long it takes the dealer to get caught up.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The dealer here knows nothing about it and said to call vwoa. Wonder how long it takes the dealer to get caught up.
The dealer has the TSB in their computers. If they "know nothing" it is either because they do not pay attention to the communications from VWoA, or they just don't care. Give them the TSB number and make them look it up (while you wait). They have it - all dealers have it, it is in their computers.
tsb # vwp-13-05 dated 3-12-2013

I am trying to get a copy of it from my dealer. If I can get it, I will post it. They are usually pretty good about this kind of thing.

Have Fun!

Don

Tec80

Veteran Member
TDI
None
VICTORY IS OURS!!!!!!!!

Maybe the complaint I put in with EPA helped.

salad

TDI
2011 JSW, 2012 Q7
The dealer has the TSB in their computers. If they "know nothing" it is either because they do not pay attention to the communications from VWoA, or they just don't care. Give them the TSB number and make them look it up (while you wait). They have it - all dealers have it, it is in their computers.
tsb # vwp-13-05 dated 3-12-2013

I am trying to get a copy of it from my dealer. If I can get it, I will post it. They are usually pretty good about this kind of thing.

Have Fun!

Don
Got off the phone with VOoA and was told that only certain cars will be receiving the extension and that an appointment, my car isn't on that list, and diagnosis must be done by a dealer. When asked who is going to cover the fee, the rep waffled the question and wouldn't give a straight answer :mad:.

If you could upload a copy of that tsb, that'd be great.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
What if you unplugged the harness on the flap and drive around until it threw and stored a code then went in (plugged back in of course) .

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
Just had my flap replaced today for 500CAD... the dealer said that they extended the warranty to 160,000km for this part... I got 198,000km ... no luck on with that amount of km...

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I had my exhaust flap fail at 38000 miles. The dealership quoted me a price to fix it and I told them there was design flaw (based on what I had learned from the TDI Club) and insisted they should check with VW headquarters. The service rep said he would put in a call and after 20 minutes returned and said VW would fix it under warranty. This was 2 years ago, which tells me they knew back then that there was a problem. I'm glad they're finally owning up to it.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Looks like the TSB is pretty clear on the 120K miles.

Mine seems to be working OK since I PB Blaster'd it. I'll wait until it fails again before I bring it in. I've got plenty of mileage left before I reach the 120K.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're worried about your flap, you could intentionally disconnect the connector to set a code related to the flap, plug it back in, then show up at your VW dealer with the MIL lamp illuminated for your "free flap". I'm just sayin'......

Correct that the code will be stored in the ECU but the MIL goes out once the valve is working again. I had a valve that was stuck unstuck since December, the MIL would stay on for about a week, then go away for a week.

The MIL was on when I called the dealer on Wednesday, but went off on Thursday night. Rochester VW still replaced it as they "felt binding" in the valve. What also surprised me was they replaced the clamps and the gaskets, which could have been reused.

Overall I'm so happy VW finally owned up to this flaw. Lets just see how long this new part code will last.

I actually bought the valve and have it in hand, I was just waiting for temps to rise to install it.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I was just directed to this thread. I'll be the test case for money back. My flap failed a couple months ago. The car was 11 months old, 44,xxx miles. I had the dealership fix it to the tune of $826.xx. It took one hour to due the job but they charged me two hours labor. An hour labor to read the code and one hour labor to replace the flap! When I questioned the labor charge I was told each service has a minimum labor charge. And yes they used two new clamps at $97 each! Plus tax!
I'm going there first thing Monday morning.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
I recently fix my flap for $8.54. I used Blaster penetrating lubricant to get the spring moving again and then I used Blaster graphite dry lubricant to lubricate the spring.

Toronto

TDI
2009 Jetta
Im going to call them tommorow for canadian owners to find out if the warrenty is also for us . Since it says ( US dealers) on top of the page, i dont think it matters tho VWofA should include us as well