2011 Jetta TDI Wagon Left Rear Tail Light

kseel

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagon
Someone took a baseball bat to my left drivers side rear tail light last night and I was seeing if they just broke out a bulb, the metal frame that surrounds the light and the tail light cover itself should I have any problems replacing it myself? I don't work on cars so I figured this might be a good easy one to start at. Also, are there any problems in maybe switching to full LED light bulbs?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if you take your time, and not let yourself be frustrated, should be fine.

on the LED bulbs, you might have issues.

does your MFD tell you the lamp is out?

if so, you would need a resistor, either internal to the bulb, or wired in. or you may be able to code the sensors with a VCDS.

easier to just put the original bulbs in.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Replacement is pretty easy. See the first few steps to this bumper-removal guide:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5562977-Mk5-Mk6-Jetta-Sportwagen-Rear-Bumper-Cover-Removal

Go with original VW parts. I once did some aftermarket ones on my previous TDI, and they're just not as well made. This place is a dealer in Washington state that has good prices -- it's a regular VW dealer that does an internet business -- but you may want to go to your local dealer just to get the thing replaced sooner rather than later. Auburn VW may have a warehouse-to-them time PLUS the shipping from WA to STL. They show a list of $177, and their price of $127.44 plus shipping.
http://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

And as meerschm noted, LED bulbs may give you a false 'bulb out' indicator, because LEDs don't have the same resistance that a regular incandescent bulb has. The new assembly should come with standard bulbs anyway.