Need help replacing Engine Speed Sensor

ExtremeMachine476

TDI
2010 Volkswagen Golf
Hey guys

Has anyone successfully replaced an engine speed sensor/crank position sensor on a common rail engine yet? I've been getting a fault code at random that keeps throwing my car into limp mode P0651 (voltage reference circuit 2 open/shorted) which has had me on a wild goose chase. Lucky though the other day it coded P0322 (crank position sensor no signal).

I attempted to remove it and check for damage last night, but holy batman! It's located behind the oil cooler! Does anyone have any insight on how to properly replace this sensor?

Thanks
Nick Marcogliese

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I highly suspect this has to do something with wiring harness.
Take a think and long stick. Clear fault codes. Start wiggling the wiring with the stick at all the palces you can reach. When you're doing this, the ignition should be on. Check later for fault codes and see if it returned.

I had similar problem with G83 sensor and had to pull the harness. I recall that crank and cam sensor wires were really tight and streched.

ExtremeMachine476

TDI
2010 Volkswagen Golf
Thanks for the reply, a buddy of mine thought the same thing. Funny thing is its so inconstant. I can clear the fault and run 2000km before it comes back. Do you suggest removing the oil cooler or is there another way?

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Mine is doing this as well, though mine is a lot more frequent. Like today, drove 70 miles and it went of numerous times throwing my car into limp mode each time.

MGraham

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Golf SE TDI, 2016 Golf GTI.
I had the same issue on my Jetta. I used a pry bar to force the connector on tighter and that seems to have fixed it. Definitely a pain to get to.

eahlberg

TDI
2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Im not sure if my engine is the same as yours, I have the 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI and I have not been able to find anything on the internet about replacing it. The glow plug started flashing last week and then we got the same engine code as you. The car was hard to start, would hesitate and sometimes stall out. I saw where the connector was, I tried wiggling it and everything but there was no way I would be able to replace it myself. Needless to say the shop that its at right now had one hell of a time with it. Pray that you never have to get it replaced!

They replaced it with a Bosch one, the car started up fine but now it will die randomly, giving the same code. They had to tear the car apart again and they are going to install an OEM sensor, re-check the wiring harness and see what happens

Last edited:

eahlberg

TDI
2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Todays update; I hope I didn't buy a lemon. I have only had the car for about 2 months now. The shop re-installed a brand new genuine VW speed sensor and put the car back together again, this time the car didn't stall but it gave the same code and flashing glow plug light. Tomorrow they will be checking the wiring harness.......