Time to do the dreaded Rear Axle beam bushings

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I'm getting ready to do my rear bushings - bought the Cupra bushings from IDParts but I was surprised to find their outer shell is plastic. Is this normal?

Also FWIW, my OEM ones are metal.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Read the thread bucko.
Plastic seems to be preferred. What I'd like to know is what's the proper tool's part number, and what's an example of a cheapie stand-in.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
On the Cupra R bushing as likely acquired from IDParts, is there a particular clocking required of the bushing to the arm? Going to do them on my son's '02 Golf, and likely my '04 Jetta after the practice. Arm will be coming out...:) and there had better be a second set of hands helping...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

hyoomen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS 5-speed; indigo blue; ~180k miles; stock (*WRECKED*). 2002 Jetta 4spd Auto (01M), indigo blue, ~246k mi, stock
Recently had a mishap on a rainy day that ended with me sliding sideways (facing bass-ackwards) into a curb at a decent clip on a highway interchange; bent the passenger control arm, folded the ball joint over, and... bent my rear axle. Got a used axle from a salvage lot, cut out the old bushings (metal casings), primed & painted the axle, pressed new bushings, and reinstalled. Such a headache...by the time I pieced together parts for a DIY press (and eventually borrowed a press tool from Autozone to finish the job) and bought some dry-ice to ultrachill the bushings prior to installation, I wasn't too far from the cost of just purchasing the correct tool. Even w/ the press, I ended up smacking one of the new bushings (plastic casing btw) w/ a 3 or 4lb hammer to get it just right.

BTW, I did knick one of the axle sleeves w/ the recip saw while cutting the old bushings out. I applied some QuikSteel into the gouge and smoothed it all out w/ a dremel.

Certainly wouldn't wish that job -- or replacing the rear wheel bearing -- on (most of) my worst enemies.

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Question on the orientation of the new bushing... do I press them in from the inside out? The Bentley isn't quite clear. I found a youtube video and it seems to inside to outside. But the old bushings in the old axle beam appear to be the opposite.

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI