What battery to use in 2002 Jetta TDI

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have been going through all the threads here.
I have read different forums and I am getting more confused :confused: than I was before I started.

My battery is not dead but I think its time to replace.

Optima 34R not a complete drop in fit and maybe not right for the TDI.
Duralast 94R from Autozone exact original size.
Interstate MT-34R slightly smaller in size?
Interstate MTP-H7 exact original size.
Werker 94R.
From a VW dealer?

I want to buy it soon (Nov.18th, 19th, 20th) in the US on my way to Laredo,TX. from Toronto.

Your opinion/suggestions please?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a reason to stop for a while in Austin,Tx. and there I will probably buy at Batteries Plus a Werker 94R, I like the CCA specs on it.
I am not too concernd about the CCA specs, since I spend the real cold part of the winter in Mexico, but CCA 765 appeals to me.

Autozone Duralast specs 94R CCA 650, 810 CA reserve unknown. $129.95
Interstate H7 (94R) CCA 640, 800 CA, 135 Res. $162.95
Batteries Plus Werker 94R CCA 765, ??? CA, 130 Res. $139.00

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Jetta_Pilot said:
I have a reason to stop for a while in Austin,Tx. and there I will probably buy at Batteries Plus a Werker 94R, I like the CCA specs on it.
I am not too concernd about the CCA specs, since I spend the real cold part of the winter in Mexico, but CCA 765 appeals to me.

Autozone Duralast specs 94R CCA 650, 810 CA reserve unknown. $129.95
Interstate H7 (94R) CCA 640, 800 CA, 135 Res. $162.95
Batteries Plus Werker 94R CCA 765, ??? CA, 130 Res. $139.00
I wouldn't pay any kind of money for AutoZone "stuff" as everything I have gotten there has been....exactly what I paid for.

No complaints with Interstate batteries. I have had a couple last 7+ years.

Heard some about Batteries Plus. Mostly how if you have an odd ball battery they can help you. And the service I have gotten has allwys been good.

All that a side, the dealership I work at sells the OEM battery for $106. 000-915-105-AF-DSP is the part number. (Drop Ship Program from local Interstate battery supplier)

Jason

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SilverGhost said:
All that a side, the dealership I work at sells the OEM battery for $106. 000-915-105-AF-DSP is the part number. (Drop Ship Program from local Interstate battery supplier)
Jason
Jason

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury to do my shopping underway, nor can I do any DSP. I will be driving 3 days from Toronto (N/E of Buffalo.N.Y) via Cincinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas to Laredo,TX. and then deep into Mexico. Also fortunately my battery is not dead yet, but it is time to replace it.

I need to make my arrangements before I leave so that I will have a battery ready and waiting for me when I get there.

I am lucky in a way since I have SKYPE on my computer and I can call anywhere in Canada and the USA free, which means I can call the selected suppliers ahead of time.

I do know that Battery Plus in Austin has four Werker 94R batteries in stock.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
Jason

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury to do my shopping underway, nor can I do any DSP. I will be driving 3 days from Toronto (N/E of Buffalo.N.Y) via Cincinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas to Laredo,TX. and then deep into Mexico. Also fortunately my battery is not dead yet, but it is time to replace it.

I need to make my arrangements before I leave so that I will have a battery ready and waiting for me when I get there.

I am lucky in a way since I have SKYPE on my computer and I can call anywhere in Canada and the USA free, which means I can call the selected suppliers ahead of time.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I was just explaining the part number. It refers to the fact that the batteries are delivered directly to the dealer from local Interstate distributors instead of coming through the VW parts system. You would still get it at the dealer the same way, if you were going that way.

Jason

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I just picked up an OE one ( 000 915 105 AG ) from my local dealer for under $100, this was with a killer discount ( used to work there and the parts guy was a former tech I used to help out all the time ) but I think list was just under $110 or so. This is the factory battery with the VW logos all over it. It's the same battery you are going to pull from the car and that one lasted 5 years or more.

My vote is going that route.

Silverghost, that part number you posted is for the 72 AH one, that isn't technically the correct diesel specific one as far as I understand it.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Jetta_Pilot said:
I have read different forums and I am getting more confused :confused: than I was before I started.

Werker 94R.
From a VW dealer?

I want to buy it soon (Nov.18th, 19th, 20th) in the US on my way to Laredo,TX. from Toronto.

All I did was go to Canadian Tire and they put in a store brand battery, '72', been driving the car for 7 months, very good charge !

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
Jason

How long does a trip take, and whats the mileage on your car?
Reason? I want to go on a long trip with my TDI, its upkeep is good, and has 190,500km on the dial, so I was just wondering how these cars are for long trips.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
You are probably right JollyGreen, I put in so many AD's and AF's that I forgot about the AG's. Also remember that the Beetle gets a different battery for the TDI's than the Golf/Jetta - no room. Also there are bigger or smaller batteries for the same engine if you have more or less features. EX: a base GL TDI in Southwest would have smaller battery than GLS with cold weather package in Maine.

Jason

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I just recently went and bought one from a VW dealer.

Jetta_Pilot said:

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
My 2002 TDI is on its 3rd battery at 166K mi. The second one was from Batteries Plus but it failed within a year. They honored the warranty and sent me a check for $67. However, I went to the dealer for the current one.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Jetta_Pilot said:

Werker 94R.
From a VW dealer?

I was in same shoes as you are right now. My old battery wasn't dead eighter but was just weak. I called few places in town and ended up with two choices of batteries
1. Interstate MVT-H7 which is $136 + tax
2. OEM battery from dealer which is $116 + tax

I just went to dealer and got it since it was cheaper and I know it would last me 5+ years too same as my old one original.

My advice is get OEM or Interstate H7 one, don't look into other crap at Autozone, Wal-Mart or Batteries Plus & etc.
I called around and everybody tried to sell me the 47 Group battery for gasser engine because thats what their book was telling them. Actually I found out that VR6 uses same battery as TDI I mean atleast Interstate one.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
SilverGhost said:
...there are bigger or smaller batteries for the same engine if you have more or less features. EX: a base GL TDI in Southwest would have smaller battery than GLS with cold weather package in Maine.

Jason
I've never heard this before. Where are you getting this info from?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI said:
All I did was go to Canadian Tire and they put in a store brand battery, '72', been driving the car for 7 months, very good charge !

That's what's in there now, a Crappy Tire battery. It was installed in April of 2005, not going to last much longer, but long enough to get me to Texas (fingers crossed).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How long does a trip take, and whats the mileage on your car?
Reason? I want to go on a long trip with my TDI, its upkeep is good, and has 190,500km on the dial, so I was just wondering how these cars are for long trips.
For my trip it is 4,600 km one way to where I go in Mexico on the Pacific ocean. My car has been there twice already, this is its third trip there, but I still only have 66,000 km on the clock.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Losha said:
1. Interstate MVT-H7 which is $136 + tax
2. OEM battery from dealer which is $116 + tax
How long ago was the $ 136.00 for the Interstate H7? I see it on the Internet at $ 162.95. (List $ 214.95)

At $ 136.00 I'd jump at the Interstate H7 (94R) just for the North American warrantee.

As I had mentioned earlier on, I need to ascertain that a battery will be at the location when I get there. I do not have the luxury to wait for one to be delivered in 2 - 3 days to wherever I am. It also needs to be a location where they will install it for me, my car will be so loaded down I can not dig for the right tools.

It has to be along or as close as possible to my route I-75, I-71, I-65, I-40, I-30 and then I-35.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
How much does a OEM battery cost for a A4 Jetta?. For a E36 BMW it costs about $400CDN ! I hope it doesn't cost that much !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
tditom said:
I've never heard this before. Where are you getting this info from?
Personal observation, mostly. The batteries also seemed to get bigger during the model run. Of course there are so many variables and options out there that setting a hard and fast rule is pretty hard, except this one - bigger is generally better:).

Jason

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SilverGhost said:
Personal observation, mostly. The batteries also seemed to get bigger during the model run. Of course there are so many variables and options out there that setting a hard and fast rule is pretty hard, except this one - bigger is generally better:).

Jason
so you've actually seen OE batteries other than 94R (Jetta & Golf) or 48 (NB)?

jamesandruth

TDI
Golf, 2003, Blue
Jetta_Pilot said:
How long ago was the $ 136.00 for the Interstate H7? I see it on the Internet at $ 162.95. (List $ 214.95)

At $ 136.00 I'd jump at the Interstate H7 (94R) just for the North American warrantee.
I got a H7 from a local tire place for $140+tax a couple of weeks ago! I'd use the "dealer locator" to find a dealer near you. As it happened, the Interstate truck was on the way to make a delivery, and had a H7 on board. Maybe I was lucky, but that was my first (and only phone call) FWIW, the dealer I called was a "full service" retailer that is supposed to carry the full line, etc, etc.

The H7 looks to be a beast of a battery. The interstate dealer noted that it was quite heavy on account of having a lot of "extra plates".

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow thats cheap, but are they dependable?
my OE battery lasted nearly 6 years. I'd call that dependable.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Only negative (no pun intended - this time) about buying a VW battery is that they won't warranty it unless they also in$tall it... (unless you $pring for a diagno$tic fee when you have an i$$ue with the battery down the road...)

Yuri.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wakdady said:
my vw tech told me oem vw batts have a tendency to explode when they go bad. as mine did.
not at all common from reports on this forum. first time I've heard of this.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
my vw tech told me oem vw batts have a tendency to explode when they go bad. as mine did.
I've never heard that either, it's the same technology as every other battery out there, a VW OE battery has the same "explosion" probability as other battery manufacturers, unless of course someone dropped a Chalupa into it at the factory...

What other myths can we put out there this morning?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jamesandruth said:
I got a H7 from a local tire place for $140+tax a couple of weeks ago! I'd use the "dealer locator" to find a dealer near you. FWIW, the dealer I called was a "full service" retailer that is supposed to carry the full line, etc, etc.
Maybe some dealers will sell for less than the price quoted on the Internet?
I will try and find a few "Full" srevice locations along my route and if they are not too far off the Interstates I am travelling, I'll check them out.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...s=product+Type|0||Rank|1&Ntk=SearchGroup&js=1