Tdi swap questions

TDI
Aaz hilux
I just bought a 2008 truck sold without drivetrain. It is new from dealer 0 miles. I want to install a vw tdi. I would prefer to run midi pump but it needs to pass emissions with OBD2 plug . So I was thinking a2.0 cjaa. But have heard of common injection pump failure. What model is the best for swaps? It will be mounted longitudinal not that it matters much as I am building mounts. I am looking for custom engine harnesses and the vw tdi scene doesn't have much support in this area. Where can I get a custom harness made with obd2 plug and a few wires to my gauges ? Thanks for your help

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Did not know such a thing existed! What type of truck is it?

mtushmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat. 99 A6 avant in process. Parting '96 Passat. Parting '01 Passat Wagon.
Knowing the target truck would help...

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
*sell
;)
That's pretty cool, good price

Last edited:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
That's interesting. That Korean brand is sold internationally, just not in the USA as far as I know. My concern would be registration and then hassle of getting spare parts. Otherwise looks cool :)

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
This is really neat. Can't wait to see some future from this.
Samurai, i think it's just 2wd, may not even have a rear end?

Can you post pics of your actual vehicle, just acouple of it in the wild(outside of a showroom)

As far as your 2.0 or 1.9 question. It seems most swaps are using ALH or earlier motors, I think the electrical side of things is easier in general on the earlier motors(pre'03) and they're also easy to convert to a mechanical injection pump(mtdi) which I think is one of the most common used.
ALH is out of the 2000-2003 golf/jetta, which is a 1.9.

Try some research on the forum for 'mtdi' and also I think 'etdi' is a keyword.
Maybe that'll give you a great starting point

TDI
Aaz hilux
That's the problem truck has to pass emissions in my state for another 8 years. It has to be electric controlled with an OBD2 port for inspection station to run diagnostics.

TDI
Aaz hilux
Truck is rear wheel drive. They do make it in 4wd. So all parts are bolt in although they will be expensive to get complete front assembly. You can buy a new truck in Norway. With 2.0 Mercedes diesel in 2 or 4wd in auto or stick. Lots of options.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
That's the problem truck has to pass emissions in my state for another 8 years. It has to be electric controlled with an OBD2 port for inspection station to run diagnostics.
Yup, sorry, you did pretty clearly state that in the original post.. Sorry I couldn't get you closer to an answer.

Sweet rig though, can't wait to see its future.

TDI
Aaz hilux
Wow over 550 views one person has chimed in to suggest . And no suggestions for wiring . If there is really no support maybe I will start a company just to make stand alone harnesses.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The answer is that it depends on the emission testing. A full electronic VE or PD will support OBDII(aside from some early 1Z's). The issue is that are they going to support what they are looking for on that MY truck? The safest way would be to use a CR motor since putting an older engine in a newer chassis is technically illegal.

So it comes down to if an older OBDII system will satisfy the emission testing. That I do not know the answer to.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I wonder if the local dmv would require you to pay a chicken tax upon registration?

Tdi Kick

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Sidekick AHU, '05 Passat Variant BHW, '03 Passat Variant BHW 4MO
I wonder if the local dmv would require you to pay a chicken tax upon registration?
I'd be surprised if the local DMV knew what the chicken tax is.:cool:

TDI
Aaz hilux
Did more research on my truck turns out it started life with a mercedes 2.0 td. I would imagine it was a rebadged vw cr. I guess when it came off assembly line it was running and driving . My odometer says truck has 10 miles. Hard to do without speed sensor? Or tranny or engine .

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
Cool looking truck. How is the parts availability? Are you going to have to order everything that breaks from overseas?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Did more research on my truck turns out it started life with a mercedes 2.0 td. I would imagine it was a rebadged vw cr. I guess when it came off assembly line it was running and driving . My odometer says truck has 10 miles. Hard to do without speed sensor? Or tranny or engine .
it is not a rebadged vw engine but a mercedes engine either built by mb or by the Koreans under license .... perhaps like this ?

Last edited: