California Diesel Conversions

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
In a conversation with another forum member here, he states he was told by BAR (bureau of automotive repairs) he would not be able to get signed off on a conversion, even using a newer motor.

Since I am no stranger to stuffing motors in cars where they don't really belong, I would like to here from anyone, (mainly in Ca.) who has recently completed a diesel conversion here, and their experience getting it titled as such.

My son and I are embarking on a conversion on an A4 quattro, hope it won/t be a waste of time. If he was able to smog the car before the conversion, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the car didn't run when he purchased it.

I have read through BAR's website, and can't see where anything has changed

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Unless something has changed in the last two years, you should find the info in one of these threads..

My experience was that I did not need to go to the BAR. I went to the DMV only. They check that it is diesel and that's it. If the recipient car is 98 or newer maybe something else is needed.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210359&highlight=california

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=382146&highlight=california

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138594&highlight=california

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256979&highlight=california

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
You are probably aware that anything 1975 and older is smog exempt. That's the route I took for my 1975 BMW 2002. No problems registering it.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
The car we will be swaping is a1999 audi quattro. He (my son) is having a trans shipped from across the pond. will be using a 98/99 ahu with 99 mk4 wiring and ecu, afn turbo.

I am aware of the exempt years, it is the later models we are concerned with.

Last edited:

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
re Calif. smog rules,I am no expert BUT I do know 1997 & older diesels & 1975 & older gas powered cars are exempt from the the DAMNED Calif. smog check program. I own a 1997 Mercedes E300 diesel & just bought a new 2014 "value edition" VW TDI at a great price from a Sacramento area VW dealer.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Plan on taking a 1999 to a BAR.

my 1990 as a diesel was simple at the DMV but if it hadn't been a diesel in another state before moving it would have been a visit to the BAR where they would have said yes its a 1990, "Pass" with newer cars its more strick. My understanding is that if you fall into the BAR swap review group (1990 corrado AHU tdi didn't) you have to have an engine equal or newer in age than the car being swapped into. All of the emissions items need to be inplace and functional and you need to pass the emissions test for that year engine.

Then again you could register it in a CA county where there are no emissions?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
""Then again you could register it in a CA county where there are no emissions?""

We live in a county where there is no emissions testing...accept on transfer. To my knowledge, that is the situation state wide in areas outside the EPA zone, still have to smog on transfer.

Car is a 99, engine management will 99.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Carefull they can get picky, down to the month. Swing by your local smog station and talk with them.