ALH going into 81 Rabbit pickup: Help me get my duckies a row

MrDave

Veteran Member
My upper rad hose rides on top of the very front of the oil filter housing. Have to push it out of the way to change the filter.
It is a 'custom' hose, there's a splice/joint up by the head.

200,000+ kms and 10 years on the swap, never been an issue.

-Dave

Boostaholic

TDI
2001 VW Jetta 1.9 ALH
So you are using the original 020 trans/axle setup? Was it a direct bolt on ? What clutch and glywheel setup? I want one of these trucks

Laserface

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I've been sick, and haven't had the energy to mess with this for a few days. Up at after 2am unable to sleep...tomorrow is going to fun.

I've had plenty of time to do more brainstorming though. Hoping I can fit the MK4 airbox behind the passenger headlight. It would be easy to weld a bracket to the fan shroud that would support the radiator hose and keep it elevated just off the oil filter housing to prevent rubbing. I believe the radiator sits further back on this car because of the a/c condenser than it does in my non a/c pickup.

Countless hours reading your build Mr Dave, good work.

No problem using the 020. The gearing is lower than needed, but it all bolts up. Use the MK1 flywheel setup.

When I got this pickup, I had trouble with master cylinders. 2 used, both pushed fluid past and into the booster. 3 new that all leaked at the reservoir grommets. I was told the only option was a new ATE brand master for $160 online. I ended up getting a master and booster from a non ABS MK3. Bolts to the firewall just fine. Brake lines had to be bent near the master to accommodate the different orientation. The pedal attachment is different, had to cut the pedal end of the rod off each and weld the MK1 rod end to the MK3 booster. $30 and a couple of hours of work and I have a master cylinder that can be found at any junk yard (MK3s are EVERYWHERE). If anyone is having master trouble (and is capable), I highly recommend doing this. I'd even do it as preventative maintenance if the vehicle had been sitting long.