AGR in a 78 westfalia

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yep but I have a secret weapon, a huge lorry jack that next door neighbour left me me when he moved. You can almost lift it lol but it does give a fair old height.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
Ok now I got some cold hard data!

So I have more than one problem.
Is this the correct TPS for my engine?

my part number is 0205 001 014. Initial googling shows them available in other countries in cars like the SEAT for 99 and earlier. maybe I should crack it apart and see how it looks inside.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that the only number on it? I can't find it in vagcat at all like it's not the right number or something.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I was hoping it was the main red and purple wire missing power too, but the pump does have power. There is a large skuff on the plastic part of the pump where the wires go in (sorry, not sure what it is called) the one with the 4 screws holding it on.
The engine was obviously out of a crashed car when i got it and I have feared thepump may have been struck.

maybe thats not the part number then. heres 2 more 46900870 and 1h1721568a off of the tps.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1h1721568a is the part number, still can't find it in vagcat but google brings it up for the audi and the mk3 golf etc so it's definitely for an AHU I reckon.

I could trawl through vagcat later and see if there's any other possible part numbers later.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I was hoping it was the main red and purple wire missing power too, but the pump does have power. There is a large skuff on the plastic part of the pump where the wires go in (sorry, not sure what it is called) the one with the 4 screws holding it on.
The engine was obviously out of a crashed car when i got it and I have feared thepump may have been struck.
No, it would be a different wire than the main ecu power (red/violet). IIRC the wire that you should be looking for is Yellow/black.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it would be a different wire than the main ecu power (red/violet). IIRC the wire that you should be looking for is Yellow/black.
yup, the yellow and black goes to the fuse 34 and also powers my n75, injecion valve, and maf. the big red violet powers the ecu and splits to the pump off of fuse 32. both have 12 volt +.:(
The throttle pedal is isolated from any fuses, and any power it needs must come from the ecu, so I think I have two issues.

Again, thank you! thank you for your interest and help! really appreciated.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, now I got rid of the first two codes. I think those were related to starting it for the first time, and the pump having to work out all the air. Either way, they,re gone for now.
The pedal code is starting to make me nervous.

I have no voltage between terminal 1 and 5. All others check out fine.

The only other codes I have after getting it up to operating temp are EGR, anti shudder flap, no communication to cluster.
I think I am going to get it up to temp again, check the quantity adjuster, and check timing with ross tech.
Crash course in vag com and injector pumps underway!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I couldn't find the tps in vagcat but it doesn't look like that's an issue anyway now.

With the QA it's maybe just needing a clean or maybe some diesel purge would do it. If the pump has sat dry at all for any time it can often make things a bit sticky inside causing a few fault codes.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
All the pump codes magically went away, just dealing with the TPS code now. I checked my pump timing and its a little on the retarded side, and my Injection Quantity is right in the range.
I triple checked my wiring and I have continuity through all of my splices for the TPS.
I even called Jeff at Rocket Chip to ask him if he would have known if i sent him a bad ECU. He told me he has never seen a bad ECU, but he has seen the Bentley give incorrect Pin out and Color information!
:rolleyes:

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Wahoo!! Looks good :)

FWIW - A little smoke on startup I think is normal but don't think it should do that once you're a little warm.

I hear the pleasant whine of the turbo, sounds like you're running no cat, no muffler, right?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wahoo!! Looks good :)

FWIW - A little smoke on startup I think is normal but don't think it should do that once you're a little warm.

I hear the pleasant whine of the turbo, sounds like you're running no cat, no muffler, right?

I don't think he is but did you notice the flexi on the rear? See the tip wag like a dogs tail when it's excited? Lol

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys! Yup, its a straight 2.5 inch right off the wastegate turbo. That V-band clamp on the end of the pipe can accept either a straight tip, or a muffler/glasspack system I built for it. No catalytic converters for me! Didnt get to drive it today because the pedal is totally different from the other one so I had to "re-engineer" my pedal mount.
Also, this video reminded me to tighten up the engine mounts on the blue crossmember... you can see it dance a little more than anticipated.
This dog is very excited!

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I've got about 20 miles on it now! Its hot here, and I'm not finished wiring the complete bus so I have the fan wired "on" full time, but its a blast! I cant wait till my Konis and BFGs show up so I can get her on the highway and see how the cooling and everything works. Im hoping to drive her to Texas at the beginning of October, so I have alot of shake down runs to complete!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good job man, must be pretty decent having the tdi in that thing and certainly more power, mpg and reliability than the old 1.6 air cooled.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks man! Its so much fun, finally got it out on the highway today, after installing the shocks and tires. Blew down some dirt roads... My coolant stayed within 5 dedrees of my thermostat at 80 to 85degrees. The outside temps topped out at around 80F(sorry for mixing C and F :)) so not quite like Texas in August, but a pretty good test of my cooling system.
I have two problems now with my ECU.
1: I am only getting 6 lbs of boost, verified by vag-com, and aftermarket boost gauge.
2: My EGR does not seem like it was deleted from my ECU, since I am getting a code.

I gotta call my tuner tomorrow and ask if there is any way I got an "economy" tune instead of my "stage 3" with 18 lbs of boost like I was expecting.
It only goes 70mph with 6 lbs of boost! Today this bus went faster than its ever been in its life!

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Runs great but only has 6 lbs of boost? Starting to wonder if its a tuning problem.... about to click "buy it now" on ebay to get a different ecu and have it tuned by a local guy.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Is the N75 plumbed correctly? My guess is that the stock wastegate is set to 6psi and you've got the N75 unplugged or bypassed.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the N75 plumbed correctly? My guess is that the stock wastegate is set to 6psi and you've got the N75 unplugged or bypassed.
Ok, thank you, that makes sense, I'll triple check all that again. Kinda nervous about running with the wastegate fully closed.
With all the help you've given me you are for sure the local guy I was thinking about. I went Rocket Chip before I knew there was a local option, active on the forum.

Is this the correct spot to get pressure for the N75?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes it is the correct place.

If you have VCDS, log channel 11 and see what the duty cycle is doing when driving WOT.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, Thanks alot, you got me on the right track. I checked wiring and plumbing on the n75 and they were correct according to the schematic Seatman posted earlier. Next I picked up my ALH N75 and My EGR n18... Well after alot of sucking and blowing I figured out how to plumb in the EGR Solenoid to work as my N75 for a test. Took it out and got 12 lbs of boost, and what felt like twice the power!
Looks like I got a bad N75 new in the box. :D

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, thanks guys. I was running the MKIII N75, which appears to be my problem. It was bad, so I swapped it with the N18 and got more boost. Its not plumbed the same as the N75, but it works to some(not gettin full boost yet) extent. Still shooting for 18lbs.
I just ordered another MKIII N75, and as long as its not bad in the box, I think I'm set!
Theres no reason for me to try it, but I think the MKIIII N75 would work with pressure if you put the vac hoses in different ports.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
The bus was vibrating a little at idle making everything that wasn't tight in the cabin vibrate and shake... My brother has a 02 Golf 2.0 and he already has the urethane dog bone, so he wanted to try my urethane motor mount. We swapped mounts and the stock rubber one made my bus almost silent at idle. I also had him watch the motor through the access hatch to see if it lifts at all during acceleration, and it doesn't even move half an inch.
My brothers golf in turn lays down the power a little better, and hes happy too.
So I am concluding my engine mounting configuration works well so far.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh but hang on, yours is the AGR, that's a mk4 style anyway so it should be using a mk4 style N75 but just not the same one as the ALH. Hang on, I'll go see if I can get the part number.

So the Mk4 golf using the AGR has the N75 part number 028 906 283J

That's number 7 in this diagram

Last edited: