compression tool

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
Anyone know what brand/style/p/n compression tool will work on the 1.9 tdi so you don't have to remove the fuel lines to check compression?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I use a Snap-On one on both early and late VE TDIs as well as PD TDIs. The tool is one thing, the adapter is another. I actually have one part that screws into the glow plug hole, then another part that snaps on to that, then the gauge itself snaps on to that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'll eventually get a snap on one. But in the meantime I have a harbor freight one that works well enough, especially if it's one time use. Or seldom.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yup. Used carefully, the HF tool will work. No way it would hold up to a professional's demand like OH would need, but for us mere mortals it has great bang for the buck. Make sure you get the diesel version. The gasser version will get blown out by the diesel's compression.

Cheers,

PH

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I am a professional, I need professional grade tools. My tool box cost more than your car. :rolleyes:

Cheap junk tools are for us occasional users. I’ll bet oilhammers empty toolbox is $10 thousand and then the tools to fill it are another $30-40 thousand.

I have a couple of snapon tools and several Mac tools and a bunch of other junk tools. I do try and steer away from the chinese crap but that’s becoming harder to do and lets face it sometimes you buy a specialized tool and you’ll use it maybe four times in your life vs oilhammers four times a day. In those cases sometimes even the junk will hold up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most of my tools have been bought and paid for for a long time now. My diesel compression tool predates TDIs in North America, actually. I still spend about a grand every year on tools, but much of that is for the replacement of batteries for cordless tools, as well as the tools themselves, as they still seem to be a very much consumable item. A few specialty tools here and there, as the need arises, which it always does, because they (the manufacturers) are always changing things.

The normal run of the mill stuff, I have not had to buy for decades. Because I bought the good stuff from the onset of my career. So wrenches of all types (combo, flex head, double box, offset box, line, crowfoot, line-crowfoot, stubby, ratcheting), sockets (hex in three lengths, Allen in two lengths, ball-ended Allen in two lengths, Torx, Torx Plus, Tamper-proof Torx, Tamper-proof Torx Plus :p ), XZN in two lengths, swivels, then all the 1/2" drive impact stuff, as well as all the 3/8" impact, probably about 30 extensions of all types... it just goes on and on, LOL.

But, despite daily use, they hold up just fine. Funny to see the younger guys right out of school struggle with crap tools or not having the tool at all. I was there once, but not to that extent. It is really bad now. I fear for the younger generation. They cannot seem to grasp the fact that a cell phone in one hand is not helping get the job done. :rolleyes:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Most of my tools have been bought and paid for for a long time now. My diesel compression tool predates TDIs in North America, actually. I still spend about a grand every year on tools, but much of that is for the replacement of batteries for cordless tools, as well as the tools themselves, as they still seem to be a very much consumable item. A few specialty tools here and there, as the need arises, which it always does, because they (the manufacturers) are always changing things.
The normal run of the mill stuff, I have not had to buy for decades. Because I bought the good stuff from the onset of my career. So wrenches of all types (combo, flex head, double box, offset box, line, crowfoot, line-crowfoot, stubby, ratcheting), sockets (hex in three lengths, Allen in two lengths, ball-ended Allen in two lengths, Torx, Torx Plus, Tamper-proof Torx, Tamper-proof Torx Plus :p ), XZN in two lengths, swivels, then all the 1/2" drive impact stuff, as well as all the 3/8" impact, probably about 30 extensions of all types... it just goes on and on, LOL.
But, despite daily use, they hold up just fine. Funny to see the younger guys right out of school struggle with crap tools or not having the tool at all. I was there once, but not to that extent. It is really bad now. I fear for the younger generation. They cannot seem to grasp the fact that a cell phone in one hand is not helping get the job done. :rolleyes:
Put me in your will for the tools and toolbox, thank you. :D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I have a friend who maintains the vehicles for a local natural gas co. His tool box is loaded with Mac, fortunately I can borrow when I occasionally need something special or heavy duty.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
For tools there's a big difference between a person who maintains and repairs their own cars, one who works on a lot of cars and a pro. Personally I love buying nice tools, they're worth it., but there are some items you'll need only occasionally. Compression tester may be one. Years ago we would would rent or borrow these, today we can purchase almost anything cheap.
Try to find a decent compression tester that goes well beyond 600, be sure to get the fittings you need to plumb it up.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Like everyone's hinting at, buy the tool based on how much you're going to need it. I have a USA made craftsman set that's 13 years old I use to beat on. At work my toolbox cost more than my wife's '14 SEL TDI. But we can't afford to have our money maker tools break at work.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I am a professional, I need professional grade tools. My tool box cost more than your car. :rolleyes:
Ouch.
My first top & bottom box (about 30 inch wide or so) was over $150 back in the mid 70's.
Nothing cheap any more besides pay checks. :eek:

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
i use a snap-on one on both early and late ve tdis as well as pd tdis. The tool is one thing, the adapter is another. I actually have one part that screws into the glow plug hole, then another part that snaps on to that, then the gauge itself snaps on to that.
thanks.