01m Valve Body Replacement, is it worth it?

numbergreen

TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
This is my first post so please be gentle.

I recently bought a 2003 Jetta Wagon (ALH) with an automatic transmission that I gather is an 01m. I am also a proud owner of a 2003 Eurovan with a similar transmission (01p) that I had to have replaced. With that in mind I am leery of all VW transmissions in this era and have a little PTSD.

The Jetta runs great, but there is some studdering/shaking a little after 40MPH right after the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd while staying at a near constant speed. There is also some throttle blipping that occurs between 40-50MPH and 60-70MPH that does not seem to be engine related, but rather the transmission slipping? None of it is constant, and once at freeway speeds is just fine.

The limited research I have done says it might not mean that I need a transmission rebuild or replacement, but rather a new valve body.
I see them all the time around online and not that expensive, but my question is, "Is it worth the trouble?"

If I go about swapping the valve body and doing a fluid change am I likely to be in the same place? Will it be worse? Will I end up needing to do more (read: solenoids?)? Should I just drive it until it dies?

If anyone out there has done it and either has a horror story or a proven win, please let me know.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's a gamble. I helped a friend change their valve body with an ebay rebuilt one. Experiencing similar symptoms you had. Smoothed it right out. It's now his wife's daily, and they've put about 7k miles on it zero issues.

While we were in there, we did the line pressure mod of just three clicks. Be wary when doing this mod as it's not really reversable.

If I were you, I'd give it a try. My friends car had 208k miles when we changed the valve body, and on a stock engine these 01m transmissions really aren't all that bad.

numbergreen

TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have added that the car currently has 230,000 miles.

How long did the precess take? Did you have to remove the transmission from the car? Besides the transmission fluid a s the rebuilt valve body were there other parts that needed to be purchased. What is this "line pressure mod"?

All the work I've done has been on Aircooled VWs so I have some experience, but this looks more delicate for sure.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a good tutorial on the line pressure mod. Like I said, three clicks is where I'd start.

You do not need to remove the transmission from the car, just put it on ramps. Drop the pan and drop the valve body. Bolt the new one back up, be sure to use a very accurate beam style torque wrench. Member CoolAirVW has a video on his website about why it's so important to use a correct torque wrench. He also sells valve bodys that he's overhauled. Here's his writeup on the 01M transmissions.

The only thing I had to buy when I did my swap was a helicoil kit, because one of the four screws stripped out. Otherwise just follow the filling procedure and you'll be good.

rustybolts

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
01M valve body replacement

Got mine done by CoolAir VW in Kansas City two yrs ago at 190,000 miles . Also had to replaced 2/3 solenoids and now have 228,000. Never had a problem since . very small valve body and shipping is cheap ( 10 or 15$).He knows valve bodys

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
"Is it worth the trouble?"
Ive been asking myself the same question. I bought mine with 220k miles, hooked up my snap on scan tool and got no trans codes at the time and drove fine. Im at 230k now and am experiencing minor hesitation shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I already replaced the fluid and filter. The good news is that it did not have the oem filter so to me that was a clear indication that the fluid has been replaced at least once in its lifetime. I guess i should plug in the scanner and see if its triggered any transmission codes

Last edited:

numbergreen

TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Numbergreen i just saw your from cali. Whereabouts are you located?
Louie710, I'm in the Greater Sacramento Area. And now, based on the responses I am getting on this thread, I am thinking I'll be changing out the valve body on my car. Just deciding if this is something I can/should do myself of find a mechanic that will take it on.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you don't have a good torque wrench to install it properly, might be in your best interest for longevity to have a shop do it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Get a beam style torque wrench to do this job then. Only takes 44 inch pounds.

numbergreen

TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
I see that I can purchase a re-manufactured valve body from a variety of places, including RevMax Converters, Kansas City TDI, and even from Amazon. Prices vary greatly, some including a core charge. Maybe I'm nuts but even $500 does not seem totally out of line if it makes the care drive better. That's still way cheaper than a replacement transmission.

Where do you all recommend buying the valve body from? Also, where do you get your ATF other than at a VW dealership?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I helped my friend with his wife's jetta, it was an ebay seller with high reviews. Don't remember who, but it was about $207. We also used Valvoline Redline ATF. So far no issues.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Where do you all recommend buying the valve body from? Also, where do you get your ATF other than at a VW dealership?

Kansas City TDI - Rich will take good care of you and make sure you have everything to do the job well. Besides being a great font of information here and on YouTube about the problematic 01M (JUST LOOKIT THIS FAQ: http://kansascitytdi.com/o1m-faq/), he repairs the valve bodies he sells and knows them inside and out.

I used Mobil 1 ATF in the 01Ms I've serviced. If it were mine I would probably put in Valvoline Maxlife ATF, which IIRC now lists the VW spec right on the bottle as their "recommended for" applications. CoolAirVW also says Peak Multi-Vehicle synthetic ATF also works. And O'Reilley's house synthetic multi-vehicle ATF. Of course you can get the official stuff from Febi or whomever makes it this week. Point is the fluid is rarely the issue with the 01M!

And make sure you understand the filling instructions... you put the plug back in when it STARTS to glug, not when it stops glugging. Most folks underfill!

And don't forget the differential - use whichever synthetic 75w90 gear oil you have on hand (thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=371718)

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
Louie710, I'm in the Greater Sacramento Area. And now, based on the responses I am getting on this thread, I am thinking I'll be changing out the valve body on my car. Just deciding if this is something I can/should do myself of find a mechanic that will take it on.
Nice. Im near Sacramento myself. I havent swapped out any valve bodies on our cars but ive done a few 5speed swaps in the past. If your mechanically inclined it should be a simple job (the valve boby swap). From everything ive read if it were me i would also contact kansas tdi. I was getting ready to make the call last week myself, but after getting in my lady's car this past weekend and driving the 5 speed, im just gonna wait till my automatic claps out and do a 5speed swap lol. I did hook up the scanner again and still no trans codes. Also, if you ever need your car scanned, or need an extra hand while wrenching, dont hesitate to reach out!

numbergreen

TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Louie710, thanks for the offer. I have a VAGCOM tool and the computer, but I only have VCDS Lite not the full version. Do I need the full version to get the info I need?

I may need another hand wrenching, but don't plan to make this move until I can save up a little bit for all the parts. Maybe a winter job in the garage.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VCDS lite will show you the trans temp, which is all you need it for to do this job.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check? Yes. Adjust? With a registered version, I believe so.