Glow plug broke in chamber....now what?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
15 years of cold/hot cycles will fatigue any metal. Just from a lot of forum reading I can say it's not real common for the tip to separate. Could also be PO shopped at Amazon, ebay or the like. Bosch or Beru are both good, fwiw

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
That's true. I pulled what I could for a service history on Carfax. It's had regular oil changes and a new fuel pump and filter bout 3 years ago.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
So started getting to the timing belt but one of the 6mm Allen bolts rounded on me gonna try a 7mm and a hammer tomorrow. Any ideas incase that doesn't work?

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Also might have found the root of my issues. The tensioner came off with no effort like I used two fingers and it came loose. Same with the crank pulley bolts which I used a normal allen key and a wrench to take off.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
So it looks like I'm in the market for a new head. I got the timing belt off and took off the valve cover. Looks like a broken valve and one of the cam loves looks pretty chewed as well. Any leads to a decent priced head would be appreciated.

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
So are you saying that your timing got off and trashed the head? Or was the glow plug the initial failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So it looks like I'm in the market for a new head. I got the timing belt off and took off the valve cover. Looks like a broken valve and one of the cam loves looks pretty chewed as well. Any leads to a decent priced head would be appreciated.

Lots of people on here use Frank's VW TDI's, LLC I heard he’s the best for our TDI *+1 (417) 232-4634‬
Lockwood, MO
I think his username is Frank 06 but not sure

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, the username is Franko6. It's a letter o, not zero, in case you're wondering. By all means give him a call. He can't give you a hard price because it is impossible to figure out how much it will cost, what valves need replacing, etc. etc. until he sees the head. He will treat you right and won't BS you.

Good luck and cheers!

PH

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
I don't think there's any rebuilding this one. I see cracks along the walls. I have pictures on my phone but don't have a third party to upload them here. Cam love looked a little chewed too. Same cylinder as the broken glow plug. So I think the glow plug broke then smashed the valve to pieces. I sent Frank an email about two weeks ago and haven't heard back I sent him a PM a few hours ago.

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Call him
Maybe he could have a head in stock?

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Kinda what I'm hoping for but I do still need to get the money together. If I have to get a new head I might as well get it built for VNT 17 and a stage 3 that's where I hope to end up in the next 3 years or so.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Okay. So got a lot done yesterday. I have the head loose but it seems to be stuck on the back plate of the timing cover. It looks like the only way to get it out is to remove the cam hub. Is that right? FYI I'm taking everything out in one piece.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Alright so major update. Got the head off and the piston and rod for cylinder 1 is toast. Like there's a third of a piston and the rod looks almost like a cane. I think the issue might have been with the timing of the injection pump just cause there was a good amount of fuel in cylinder 4 but I don't know. Got pictures of the damage here

https://www.reddit.com/u/Oki_Hero?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Yeah so about 1,500 to get it running that's not including little things like vaccum lines and stupid tee fitting that are old and break when sweat falls on em.