www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old January 9th, 2010, 17:05   #196
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Yep. Should get it done next week or, at worst, week after.
Old January 10th, 2010, 18:18   #197
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Left Coast Resident Modification: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit

Posts 157 – 160 described the installation of the PD In-Tank Lift Fuel Pump onto my Jetta TDI. After the installation, I found out about the Left Coast Resident Modification: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit. I wish I had know about it prior to the installation. So, after the fact, I decided to pull the lift pump and do the LCR modification. For the most part, I purchased the same materials and followed the directions written my LCR: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208968

Here are a few pictures that I took:

Two halves of the pump apart, and one of the Oetiker clamps removed.

Both Oetiker clamps and large fuel line removed.

The T-fitting, check valve, and viton tubing notched at the bottom, so it can always pick up fuel at the bottom of the lift pump well.

Fully assembled modification.

I’m hoping that everything works out OK for the long term. The large, black retaining ring that screws onto the top of the lift pump is a pain to take off. The black fuel line simply doesn’t like to move out of the way, making removal and installation of the lift pump difficult.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 24th, 2017 at 19:15.
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:02   #198
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Almost Hit a Deer

This morning on the way to work I found out that my anti-lock brake system works well. Around 6 am a medium-sized deer ran out in front of my car and I had to slam hard on the brakes. I missed full impact, and I think I might have just lightly touched the deer's rear leg. I definitely saw the deer up close and personal. My briefcase went flying!

I got out to inspect, and there was no damage and no hair.

Stupid deer. His buddy probably dared him to run across the road in front of me.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:12   #199
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure I posted my pics of my Oct '08 deer collision. All said and done it was $5k damage. Glad you missed the deer. I swear they just wait in the bushes and wait to ambush.

I really hated being without my car for 3 weeks while other people touched her. She was so.... violated.

sold2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 275k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:54   #200
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Bought the PP764 nozzles, but have not installed them yet. Maybe in the spring when it gets warmer again.

yo
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:36   #201
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Agree with you there - too cold right now to do much. Be thinking about a price for your PP520's so that I may save up.
How difficult is the swap out?

sold2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 275k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:10   #202
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default R32 Air Intake

I decided to replace the OEM lower air intake snorkel and components with the R32 air intake in the hopes of more airflow and possibly a slight increase the power in my Jetta TDI. I “borrowed” three pictures from this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=170770

Parts from World Impex: Air duct 1J0-805-962-G-B41 and Intake Snorkel 1J0-129-609-G
Parts from 1stVWParts: Airbox and air filter 1J0-129-607-AK and Headlight Cover 1J0-805-965-E-B41

I didn’t use the top of the R32 airbox because at this time because I don’t have plans for the larger MAF housing, larger OMI turbo intake, or having my ECU re-programmed to accommodate the slower airflow.

Here are pictures of the R32 air intake components and the larger snorkel.

Here’s a picture of the OEM snorkel next to the battery housing.

The first step was to remove the OEM airbox, snorkel, headlight cover, and air duct. The air duct is held in place by two upper and one lower plastic rivets. To remove the lower rivet, I had to first remove the bumper. A lot of extra work for one rivet. To remove the rivet, I pushed out the approximately 1/8-inch middle plug of each rivet, which allowed the main part of each rivet to be removed. I’ve read about others just ripping the air duct out, but I wanted to re-use those rivets. Though not a great picture, one of the top rivets is seen in the middle of the picture where the yellowish light is shining.

In this picture, I’ve installed the R32 front air duct with the same plastic rivets and the R32 snorkel.

When it came time to reinstall the battery tray, I found what others have written to be true. The battery tray had to be shifted over a little towards the engine. Using the following pattern and new 6-mm bolts from the hardware store, I drilled new holes and re-positioned the battery tray.

Contrary to what this “borrowed” picture says, I could not re-use the OEM bolts with their washers on the passenger side of the battery tray. The OEM washers were too large.

Reinstalled the bumper and battery. Then I installed the lower R32 airbox.

As stated above, I used the OEM air filter and upper airbox. The R32 airbox did come with an air filter with the foam layer 1J0-129-620-A. However, my current air filter was not dirty enough yet to chuck it, so for now I’ll use my current air filter and save the new one until I either run into a problem or change it out in the spring. The R32 snorkel does not come with a snow screen like that found on the OEM snorkel.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 24th, 2017 at 19:29.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:32   #203
SchonerGTI

There is any noticeable change while driving the car with this last mod?
SchonerGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:51   #204
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Not sure, so I guess not. I won't know the effect until New England Dyno Day next autumn, and I get new HP and torque numbers.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; January 13th, 2010 at 09:55.
Old January 13th, 2010, 13:26   #205
SchonerGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928
Not sure, so I guess not. I won't know the effect until New England Dyno Day next autumn, and I get new HP and torque numbers.
This means that driving the car with this mod will not produce any noticeable different feeling from the previous set up, maybe only a dyno can tell the truth!
SchonerGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 18:04   #206
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default PD150 Intake Manifold and Allard Power Pipe

At the last New England Dyno Day, it was suggested to me to look into upgrading the OEM intake manifold with the PD150 intake manifold to further help increase the power of my Jetta TDI. I purchased the PD150 intake manifold 038-129-713-AF from RyanP's Euro TDI Parts, a large 57-mm Power Pipe from Allard Fuel Efficient Systems, and silicone intake hoses and connectors from www.siliconeintakes.com .

I purchased the PD150 intake manifold along with the EGR and hose because when I have to get my emissions tested in Connecticut, I need to reinstall the EGR temporarily. The parts arrived coated in a lot of soot, so I soaked them for about a day in Industrial Strength Simply Green (actually purple) diluted with some water. The next day I scrubbed with a small brass brush as much of the remaining soot, and then let dry over several days to make sure all water was removed.

I borrowed this PD150 intake manifold and EGR picture from RyanP’s thread.

I removed the Dieselgeek Race Pipe and the OEM intake manifold from the engine. Then I swapped the McNally turbo gauge fitting from the Race Pipe to the Allard Power Pipe. Finally, the new components were installed, including a 2 ¼-inch to 2‑inch 90° silicone bend and about 4 ½-inch straight hose with a connector to the upper intake pipe.

When I tried to reinstall the OMI onto the PD150 intake manifold, I predictably stripped the two threads for the bolts. Cheap aluminum!! I say predictably because this same thing happened with the OEM intake manifold when I first installed the OMI. So, I had to take the PD150 intake manifold off the engine and use 6M-1.00 helicoil inserts to regain the threads. Fortunately, I had an extra intake manifold gasket.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 24th, 2017 at 19:37.
Old January 13th, 2010, 19:28   #207
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think the Airbox and intake help, but are noticeable when driving the car really hard, better flow at high revs, and lower smoke. I get a nice intake sound out of it, too. Basically, this should allow you to run more fuel with lower relative EGTs and smoke than if you hadn't made the changes.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:33   #208
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Very nice Chris! Your thread makes mods look so easy (because reading takes just a few minutes but the work takes hours... :-)

I see you changed your sig too. Getting too long? More to come maybe?

Old January 14th, 2010, 05:16   #209
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

I like the silicone hoses with the upper intercooler pipe. In order to upgrade that pipe would I need to upgrade the intercooler too? When I delete that ugly EGR I'd like to upgrade some of that intake plumbing.

Old January 14th, 2010, 07:03   #210
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ronJ
I like the silicone hoses with the upper intercooler pipe. In order to upgrade that pipe would I need to upgrade the intercooler too? When I delete that ugly EGR I'd like to upgrade some of that intake plumbing.
It would not be absolutely necessary to upgrade the SMIC right away, or at all.

Yes, my signature was starting to get too long and I was concerned that I might be showing off. Showing off is not really my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
I think the Airbox and intake help, but are noticeable when driving the car really hard, better flow at high revs, and lower smoke. I get a nice intake sound out of it, too. Basically, this should allow you to run more fuel with lower relative EGTs and smoke than if you hadn't made the changes.
So... You're telling me indirectly, install those PP764s already!!

I'm glad to read that there will be the added benefit.

yo

Last edited by rocketeer928; January 14th, 2010 at 07:45.