www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 22nd, 2019, 18:59   #46
ClemXP

Yeah, When I did the TB I used metalnerd tools. I locked the cam at the vac pump side, used the timing mark on the flywheel, locked the crank and IP. Also verified everything with VAG COM. I've swapped the IP and checked the mechanical timing multiple times; everything is lining up. I always set the final time with the VAG COM by adjusting the 3 nuts on the IP.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 21:20   #47
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemXP View Post
Let it cool down and started it up - oil pressure is above 50psi, pushing 60. Definitely higher cold.
60 psi cold is fine. The regulator is not stuck.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 21:40   #48
ClemXP

Thanks Genesis. That answers one of my questions. Are we down to lifters and/or a valve?
Could I have a stuck lifter? Any way to check that? Again, i tried to measure clearance between lifters and cam lobes (upward position, of course) and got nothing. Does anybody have experience measuring lifter clearance that could shed some light on this?
Old September 23rd, 2019, 03:22   #49
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Doesn't sound like the oil pressure is the problem, you've ruled that out.

There is no "clearance" on a hydraulic lifter, the whole purpose of them is to be dynamic and keep the follower/cam/valve clearance at zero all the time. Hence no need for valve adjustments.

No abnormal oil consumption from the engine? Do you have another set of injectors just to try? I really doubt it is that, but just to rule that out. I'd also thought of perhaps somehow the anti-shudder valve was randomly shutting (no idea why) but your symptom seems too predictable for that.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:05   #50
ClemXP

I do not have another set of injectors to try. It was doing this before I got the new nozzles and calibration; I thought that was the problem and threw parts at it, thinking I would be doing them anyway. No abnormal oil consumption noted. I will drive it some more and keep an eye on that. I don't think it is the ASV. It moves freely and I've swapped EGR/ASV with a parts engine I have and no change.
I understand now on the lifter clearance. Bentley says 0.008 MAXIMUM, and I thought that meant there should be some. In that case, lifters seem fine. Although, could one be sticking?
Sounds like the next thing to do is a leak down test. I need to either buy a tester or find a buddy with one.
Any other thoughts?
One more thing: if the case is that a chunk of coke got in at the intake when I cleaned and replaced the manifold, what would that mean? If it was stuck there around the valve, wouldn't the problem either work itself out, or always be there? It's just weird how this is intermittent and predictable. Once it gets to that powerband under full load and blows the smoke and shudders it's good until it sits/cools down a while.
It's also not completely an operating temp thing. If I get the car warm without any hard driving it still needs to do this thing once, although it does seem a little less extreme when the car isn't still warming up.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:00   #51
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

Fuel filter
Old September 23rd, 2019, 16:42   #52
ClemXP

It's not the fuel filter. I just changed it out and it's the same thing.
Could it be a clogged catalytic converter??? Would that make sense? I can try unbolting the exhaust tonight after the car cools down.
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:13   #53
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

Could be,,, fuel temp sensor
Old September 24th, 2019, 11:23   #54
ClemXP

I don't think its the fuel temp sensor. I swapped IPs and I'm getting the same exact problem. I'm going to dig into the turbo some more to make sure there are no leaks and that it is properly boosting when cold.
Old September 24th, 2019, 14:45   #55
jmodge
Veteran Member

While you are in the turbo, check and make sure your nozzle ring isn't worn where the nozzles and actuator contact. Also contact area on the cartridge.