www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 22nd, 2019, 16:48   #11356
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Yes, nuclear FISSION is 31% but there was also the 3% from our big nuclear FUSION source.
I get you. There putting farms up all over the place. They even have panels on the telephone poles around here.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 17:57   #11357
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
I get you. There putting farms up all over the place. They even have panels on the telephone poles around here.

Out here they are also putting panels up over parking areas which also helps to keep the parked cars cooler due to the shade. California has mandated all new housing have solar panels (which jacks up the price considerably), but if you then install a Tesla PowerWall, you can store some of the energy. Of course the electric companies are also hiking prices massively. Latest report is the average user faces about a $300 annual hike in 2020 alone.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 18:55   #11358
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Out here they are also putting panels up over parking areas which also helps to keep the parked cars cooler due to the shade. California has mandated all new housing have solar panels (which jacks up the price considerably), but if you then install a Tesla PowerWall, you can store some of the energy. Of course the electric companies are also hiking prices massively. Latest report is the average user faces about a $300 annual hike in 2020 alone.
Looks like I'm on easy street, paying around $1100 a year for electricity.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 23:12   #11359
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Looks like I'm on easy street, paying around $1100 a year for electricity.

Yep. It is interesting that it costs me less per month to fuel my TDI than it does to "fuel" my house. Diesel is at $3.299 here and I fill up every 4 - 6 weeks with about 15 gallons so the cost is just under $50. However, my Tier 1 electric rate is currently about 22.5˘ per kilowatt-hour and my monthly bill is around $105; I can only keep it that low by not running A/C in the summer or the heat pump in the winter.

The fleet:
Old September 23rd, 2019, 03:16   #11360
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

romad, if you're in AZ, unless your home is poorly situated, I would think solar panels would be a no-brainer. I'm covering all my electric (formerly 125/mo winter and $200+ per month summer) with a solar array. Paid for itself in 3 years, now I get almost all my power free and about $1,200/year in carbon credit sales proceeds. And that's in New England.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:24   #11361
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

In NC, my quote for solar got me a pay back in about 15 years. Our electric rates are really low and our usage is also super low.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:50   #11362
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Those are some cheap electric bills. Few times my dad told me how much it costed for electricity it was out ravenous. In the summer with the A/c going in Southern California it was $600-700 a month in a house not 25 years old. Only a house just shy of 1900 square feet. It was a tract home in one of the larger counties. Amazing how much the “Cali tax” is yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:35   #11363
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

And how poor home construction is in SoCal. A well insulated home there with solar panels would easily have zero electrical costs. And the money saved on a smaller HVAC system could go towards the cost of solar. But builders don't pay utility bills for the homes they build, so they don't care.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 08:41   #11364
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Yeah believe it or not the house was built rather quality and insulated rather well. I’m just in a part of so cal that actually has colder sections (down into the 30s, yes I know not that cold) and hotter sections, up into the 100-115 range for summer month and anywhere from 30-80% humidity year round. The original HVAC system while not stellar worked well enough. Once it was replaced due to a failure the bill did drop. Then when we went to solar with 31 panels on the roof we were off the grid 10 months out of the year essentially. Granted we had a pool, 5 people living in the home, a grandmother who had a cpap machine and all the appliances and what not.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:02   #11365
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
romad, if you're in AZ, unless your home is poorly situated, I would think solar panels would be a no-brainer. I'm covering all my electric (formerly 125/mo winter and $200+ per month summer) with a solar array. Paid for itself in 3 years, now I get almost all my power free and about $1,200/year in carbon credit sales proceeds. And that's in New England.

No, this is at my property in California under PG&E; our apartment in Prescott has utilities included in the rent. I probably should have gone with solar in CA 20 years ago, but couldn't afford it.

BTW, PG&E was responsible for the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise last November due to their lack of proper maintenance. Their solution (besides declaring bankruptcy so they won't have to compensate for the lost lives & property) is rather than fix their infrastructure in the high wind prone areas, they just shutdown the power to all the customers in an area when high winds are predicted! I was just notified my power may be shutdown between now and Wednesday evening.

The fleet:
Old September 23rd, 2019, 10:37   #11366
dcjkrueger

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 51 MPG Winter, 57 MPG summer

Went from 2.76 a gallon to 3.20 a gallon today. Wait til Jan. of 2020 when the ocean going ships are required to burn low sulfur diesel. They are going to hammer us !!!
dcjkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:25   #11367
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, this is at my property in California under PG&E; our apartment in Prescott has utilities included in the rent. I probably should have gone with solar in CA 20 years ago, but couldn't afford it.

BTW, PG&E was responsible for the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise last November due to their lack of proper maintenance. Their solution (besides declaring bankruptcy so they won't have to compensate for the lost lives & property) is rather than fix their infrastructure in the high wind prone areas, they just shutdown the power to all the customers in an area when high winds are predicted! I was just notified my power may be shutdown between now and Wednesday evening.

This last portion they are required by law to do with high winds or fires present. That’s not just them. SDG&E will **** down power as well with high winds and what not.

The bs thing that they did was have our lovely ex gov Jerry Brown write into law that they can pass the costs of the lawsuits they incurred into the residents that they provide power to. So essentially, those lovely folks in Paradise that lost their homes, have to pay PG&Es lawyer fees, legal fees, and any other fee PG&E wish to subject them too. Gotta love bs Cali politics and our terrible governors.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old September 24th, 2019, 06:32   #11368
FiveFilter

TDI(s): 2013

Well, the reality is, those who benefit from the electric system are the only ones available to pay the costs. Unless, of course, the taxpayer is handed the bill, which may be what ultimately happens. Hey, with free health care and other welfare benefits for the world envisioned by current politicians, why not?
FiveFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 18:00   #11369
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: sorry last tank 44.2 MPG

$2.50
Old September 26th, 2019, 06:40   #11370
crashtested
Veteran Member

2 months steady @ $1.249/L ($3.57/gal) in most of South Eastern BC.