Rattling again

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a new rattling sound at idle, and at certain lower Rpms. It's kind of a clacking rattle if that makes any sense. Last time I had a similar sound it was the engine knocking against the skid plate. I have since put in new mounts and lowered the skid plate.

So today I was sick of lying in bed with a concussion and decided to try fix my car. I pulled off the skid plate thinking this would help, but it did not. I tried to locate the sound, and the best place I could pinpoint it to was the area around the engine and transmission connection. Couldn't tell if it was from bottom or top either.

It got dark so I'm going to have another shot tomorrow. Anything particular I should look for?

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Repaired the flex pipe but still rattles, even worse today. Scanned the car without vagcom, (don't have one, or know anyone who does) and I came up with 3 codes.

P0321 - ignition / distributer engine speed input circuit range / performance

P1163 - fuel temp sensor circuit open / short to B+

P0725(a/t) - Engine speed input circuit

I should also mention that the car stalled twice on the driveway. It's an automatic. Any clues between those codes and the very horrible rattling sound? It's so loud I can't even pinpoint a location

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
Any suggestions? I can't figure anything out, I seem to have normal power but I haven't driven it since it's stalled

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I think all 3 of those codes are components in the front of the engine area, injector pump area.

My 1st -web guess- would be broken or frayed wires.
Maybe bad shared ground.

Have you been doing anything in that area?

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
How fast was your idle in that video? It seemed to be running fast, or maybe that was just the noise that was overtaking the sound.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
How fast was your idle in that video? It seemed to be running fast, or maybe that was just the noise that was overtaking the sound.
It was running at normal idle. That was the noise overtaking the engine sound. Brought it in to my uncle's shop, knowing how much he hates Volkswagens (my family is anti everything except gm) but my cousin popped it on the lift which really helped me see underneath and it became clear within a few seconds that the torque converter bolts were very loose. Tightened those up, cleared the other codes and it runs mint.

My guess is those codes happened on a short and they had been sitting around for a while without me seeing them. All is good now, nice free 30 minutes in the shop so saved 45$ which is pretty nice.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
It was running at normal idle. That was the noise overtaking the engine sound. Brought it in to my uncle's shop, knowing how much he hates Volkswagens (my family is anti everything except gm) but my cousin popped it on the lift which really helped me see underneath and it became clear within a few seconds that the torque converter bolts were very loose. Tightened those up, cleared the other codes and it runs mint.
My guess is those codes happened on a short and they had been sitting around for a while without me seeing them. All is good now, nice free 30 minutes in the shop so saved 45$ which is pretty nice. Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Nice save!