www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old November 24th, 2018, 13:59   #16
soma56

TDI(s): BEW PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
True, although the switch does provide a easy way to go between "stock" and "a value I have determined that works".

EXACTLY.

Quote:
Another thing that occurs to me is the entire thing assumes the OEM fuel temperature sensor decreases its resistance as temperature goes up... if this is not the case adding resistance in series will trick the ECU in the wrong direction.

Presumably those that recommend a 2K additional resistor have confirmed this... but ya never know on the interwebs?!

That's a good point that I never considered. I suppose if one was inclined they could remove the sensor, add heat to it and see what the wire does in response to heat and/or cold although, given the number of positive responses in addition to those that have plugged in their VAG systems I'm confident they have it right.
soma56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 14:31   #17
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Another thing that occurs to me is the entire thing assumes the OEM fuel temperature sensor decreases its resistance as temperature goes up... if this is not the case adding resistance in series will trick the ECU in the wrong direction.
Indeed, thermistors used in temperature sensing applications are usually of the NTC (negative temperature coefficient) type, i.e. resistance decreases as temperature rises. A PTC thermistor in a sensing application would be unusual.
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 560K
P2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 21:21   #18
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

The hotter the ECU thinks the fuel temperature is, the more it retards the timing. The fuel temp sensor has always been the primary foe of the folks running WVO. There is one logic when setting up a WVO engine is to use larger sized nozzles and set the pump up advanced compared to stock at any given RPM. I used to ask some of the tuners I spoke with, "Why don't you code the ECU to not pull the timing back when the fuel heats up?" I never really got what I thought was a solid answer; I will say that was over ten years ago, so maybe I have forgotten.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Vented, No Kitty, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, TurboLabAmerica Hybrid 15-17/56, VCDS Hex+CAN, S-B Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Koni Orange, New Paint. Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2019, 06:14   #19
soma56

A quick update for anyone interested. I'm about 90% complete and should have it ready for a test this weekend. Here's a couple of photos working on the electrical and fuel tank I created. The display features temp gauges, an EGT gauge and a variety led indicators for various things that are powered on. The fuel tank (yes that is a little light that I installed in the tank - it makes things easier when swapping filters) was made from a mobile home water tank with a 5 gallon pail gamma seal 'affixed' to the top to allow for easy access. I have the potentiometer setup as originally discussed in this thread, however, having issues locating the correct fuel temp sensor wire to connect into (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...80#post5519880).

Last edited by soma56; July 5th, 2019 at 06:31.
Old July 6th, 2019, 10:29   #20
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

Very interesting. You’re thinking outside the box, especially with that tank. Please keep us posted on your progress.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2019, 11:57   #21
soma56

The custom panel I made was installed today. I'll explain what all these leds and switches do later. Take note (as per an earlier discussion in this thread) - the potentiometer in the switch panel at the bottom left. The two indicators at the top right at temp sensors. One is immediately before the fuel goes into the injector and the second is located inside the veg fuel tank.

Old July 31st, 2019, 21:30   #22
WooK

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

how's it all coming together?
WooK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 08:31   #23
soma56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooK View Post
how's it all coming together?

I'm glad you asked and thanks for your patience. She's had a couple minor quirks but nothing I couldn't handle.

You can see a video update/summary here:

https://youtu.be/Xq_m-8Mphc0

A fuel gauge will be next in addition to another silicone heating system on the fuel line in the Fall (in preparation for the winter months). Aside from that I really can't think of anything else it needs. I think I overthought the fuel temp sensor resistance. If you put in a 2 or 3k ohm resistor you be fine (you don't need a potentiameter like I used). I wouldn't use a plastic tank again. It'll warp if it's not perfectly flat on the bottom (which mine wasn't because of a drainage hole at the bottom). If you have the option - use a metal tank. Disabling your EGR is a must. That's where I tapped in my EGT gauge. Anywhere between 655 and 675 degrees (Celcius) seems to indicate that there is a healthy combustion of WVO in the engine. Ironically and oddly enough - when it's been running for a bit the car likes to sit around 666 degrees. Been running perfectly fine on WVO for the past month or so and I don't foresee anything major in the future.
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:11   #24
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

https://youtu.be/TcdeeB5ZUys?t=590

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:14   #25
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma56 View Post
Disable/delete the EGR. It's legal in Canada.
NO it is not. Just because it's not checked doesn't make it legal to disable or defeat OEM installed emission control systems.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 18:59   #26
soma56

Update # 1
Everything from a conversion perspective is running just fine for the most part. I will, however, suggest this much thus far:

Use a pre-screen filter prior to the fuel filter that you have for WVO. I found a small piece of fiberglass resin covering my 1/4 fuel line which was enough to halt the system. I resolved this by combining (bolting together) 2 dollar store (kitchen) sink screens back to back like a disco ball and cutting a small hole in one end where I rammed the fuel line into. This is the 'first contact' of WVO to the system and, by design, prevents any flakes of anything covering the 1/4 inch fuel line. I can forward a pic to anyone that wishes to see it.

Issue # 1: Fuel Pump Failure

I was rather disappointed as I bought a higher-end fuel pump for this project thinking that with it being a 'solid state' pump it would come with more reliability. It claims to run between 9 - 11.5 psi which is ideal for this project. I bought it at Princess Auto. For one reason or another it simply failed yesterday. I have no idea why. Perhaps a one-off? Not sure. I installed a new one today and she's running fine. Here's a link to the specific pump that I've using: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...mp/A-p8643173e

Issue # 2: WVO Fuel Tank Leak

I think this might reiterate my original point earlier in this forum on my suggestion to use a metal tank. It seems a smaller access hole/gasket system I made was 'too' big. It's something I never use anyways as the very large 5 gallon pail gamma seal opening is awesome (see earlier photos). Minor turning of the vehicle while driving results in the WVO within the tank to slosh around. This 'sloshing' would 'hit' the top of the tank and because of the poor seal would inevitable leak out of the tank and pool up into the spare tire area before slowing leaving beautiful patterns of darkness on the driveway overnight. If you look carefully at the before picture you will see the pattern of oil that has 'sloshed' out. Anyways, below are some before and after pics on how I temporarily resolved it. This spot/hole will see the future installment of a fuel lever gauge so for the time being I'll use it as a way entertainingly to 'peer' inside the tank to check my fuel level....

Last edited by soma56; August 22nd, 2019 at 20:34. Reason: GraMer ErRros.
Old September 20th, 2019, 20:29   #27
WooK

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Very impressive! I took the easy way out and got a Greascar kit for my 2006 Jetta.
WooK is offline   Reply With Quote