www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 19th, 2019, 16:05   #1
genscripter
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Default Failed Smog Test due to odd OBDII issue. Any Ideas.

I've been driving my '98 Jetta TDI for years without issues. A few months ago, I had to replace some electrical things, but aside from that, it's been driving fine.

I got the dreaded DMV letter stating that I needed to get a smog check. I went to my usual place, but there was a new guy. I don't think he knew much about diesels.

He ran the check, and everything passed. However, he said my "EGR and/or VVT System" are "not ready." He said to drive it for 50-100 miles and come back.

That's confounding, because I hadn't recently cleared the codes or anything. I had been driving it around for weeks, so everything should be "ready."

I looked up this thread on the tdiforum that had a similar issue, and the man put in the original chip and it passed the test. I never put in a new chip. Everything is stock.

I ran my VAG-COM to see if there was an engine code. There wasn't, but there was a "generator" fault:

01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal
27-00 - Implausible Signal

This might have been an old fault from when I replaced the alternator a few months ago, because now that I think about it, I never cleared the code after replacing the part. I just drove it until the check engine light disappeared. I have a digital voltage gauge, and my voltages have been normal (around 13.5V). On occasion, I run a cig-lighter minifridge that can draw down the current to 12.9V, so maybe that tripped the "Implausible Signal."

Do you think the Generator fault is causing the "not readiness" of the EGR OBDII values?

Or did the newbie smog tech screw up my test? He seemed completely uninformed about how to do the test.

I'm going to delete the fault and see if it returns tomorrow after a long drive. That will help me figure out if that alternator or connections are off.

Last edited by genscripter; September 19th, 2019 at 16:07.
genscripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 17:47   #2
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Vagcom should tell you if your Readiness is "Ready" or "Not".

Clear your codes, drive your car, check your readiness, and go back to Jiffy Smog.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 23:07   #3
genscripter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
Vagcom should tell you if your Readiness is "Ready" or "Not".

Clear your codes, drive your car, check your readiness, and go back to Jiffy Smog.

The only code that had a readiness issue was that generator fault.

At the end, it said:

Readiness: N/A

I'll clear it and take it back Monday.
Old September 20th, 2019, 18:26   #4
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

i read that as, "Readiness does Not Apply to the generator". You never know if the smog machine will fail you for non-emissions codes though.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 15:42   #5
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

The generator load signal code won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner with regards to emissions.

The reason you failed was due to a readiness monitor not being set, NOT for a code stored.

Some tunes with EGR deletes don't set the readiness monitor for the EGR... Other issues may just be that the MAF readings for one reason or another aren't corresponding correctly when the EGR is commanded on, not a big enough discrepancy to set a code, but enough to make it difficult for the readiness to set.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 23:47   #6
genscripter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
The generator load signal code won't show up on a generic OBD2 scanner with regards to emissions.
The reason you failed was due to a readiness monitor not being set, NOT for a code stored.
Some tunes with EGR deletes don't set the readiness monitor for the EGR... Other issues may just be that the MAF readings for one reason or another aren't corresponding correctly when the EGR is commanded on, not a big enough discrepancy to set a code, but enough to make it difficult for the readiness to set.

My TDI is bone stock. It's passed smog checks since they started doing them in California for diesels. Any ideas on how to get that discrepancy to set the readiness?
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:28   #7
genscripter
Veteran Member

UPDATE:

I cleared the generator code last week and drove the jetta around for the weekend. Probably put on a hundred miles.

This morning, I happened to be near my smog shop and figured I would pop in to get the codes checked. He plugged in the device and it said I passed.

Not really sure if clearing the code had anything to do with the readiness or whatever, but whatever I did, it worked.
Old September 26th, 2019, 09:19   #8
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
UPDATE:

I cleared the generator code last week and drove the jetta around for the weekend. Probably put on a hundred miles.

This morning, I happened to be near my smog shop and figured I would pop in to get the codes checked. He plugged in the device and it said I passed.

Not really sure if clearing the code had anything to do with the readiness or whatever, but whatever I did, it worked.
Congrats on passing, I know this is often a headache for people in states with emissions tests, especially when you consider that it's hard to replace the mpg of our cars should the condition persist and you be unable to pass ever.

Steve

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 09:50   #9
genscripter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve addy View Post
congrats on passing, i know this is often a headache for people in states with emissions tests, especially when you consider that it's hard to replace the mpg of our cars should the condition persist and you be unable to pass ever.
Steve

"mpg?"
Old September 27th, 2019, 06:57   #10
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

miles per gallon

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 23:05   #11
genscripter
Veteran Member

Ah. I figured you meant miles per gallon, but when I originally read it, I thought maybe you meant replacing a part, like the ECU.