2005 tdi won’t start

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
2005 beetle tdi didn’t start this morning figured it was a week battery. Charged it and cam home now just spins over. No check engine lights at the moment.

I drove car Wednesday night. Thursday morning won’t start

It turns over, can feel the tandem pump pumping. Has full tank of diesel.

Glow plug light is flashing.

Can hear fuel pump come on

Asv is open, not stuck shut

Can hear the ecu powering up.

I checked 109 relay and the points are good and moving.

Tandem pump has 10k on it. Timing belt still has 2 years left.

Could it be a bad ignition switch?

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You need to find the no start thread and go down it testing. There's quite a few things on it and we cannot guess over the internet. Pull the codes with VagCom and go from there

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My '04 was doing similar, crank-no start.

No codes.

I'm pretty sure it was the Thermo-tee. I pulled it and cleaned it up a bit and it worked for a week. Then it happened again, so I threw in a "t" that I had in the parts bucket, been fine since.

I need to order up a brand new one.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
2005 beetle tdi didn’t start this morning figured it was a week battery. Charged it and cam home now just spins over. No check engine lights at the moment.

I drove car Wednesday night. Thursday morning won’t start

It turns over, can feel the tandem pump pumping. Has full tank of diesel.

Glow plug light is flashing.

Can hear fuel pump come on

Asv is open, not stuck shut

Can hear the ecu powering up.

I checked 109 relay and the points are good and moving.

Tandem pump has 10k on it. Timing belt still has 2 years left.

Could it be a bad ignition switch?

If your glow plug light is flashing (like on and off repeatedly) then there will be a code stored for some problem.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
i replaces one of the fuses over the battery box, it was one of the 40 amp fuses blown. After replacing it and deleting the memory from the ecm the car is running.

I had ran a wire from post to post on blown fuse and car wouldn’t start but would just crank. I don’t know if the ecm test resistance from fuses or not.

Also after cranking a while it finally had a code for implausible signal from ecm and a immobilizer block.

I have seen this on a 2.0 where the car had been cranked on until the battery was completely dead. New battery wouldn’t start it till ecm memory was cleared.

Thanks for the help

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Just curious...does your key fob lock and unlock your doors without a hitch? (using the buttons)

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Just curious...does your key fob lock and unlock your doors without a hitch? (using the buttons)

It does not. I can push the button 100 times and it may work 1 time.

It hasn’t worked since I purchased the car