05-Dash lights intermittent and Cruise Control Issues

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I have been having two problems with the '05 and any help would be appreciated! Back story on the car is I bought it with a seized engine and swapped with a running engine about 30k ago.

First-I believe it is probably a ground issue but all dash lights will work intermittently. They work more than not and seems to have more issues working when rain or morning humidity. I want to check the ground but not sure where it would be. This is all gauge lighting and radio/climate control lighting.

Second-Cruise control issue. If I have cruise control set at for example 80, it will just randomly slow down, sometimes down to 70 but never lower and then if you leave it alone it will randomly decide when to increase it back to 80. If it starts to slow down and you tap the gas pedal, it'll decide to speed back up to wherever. It isn't like a complete drop in power more of a gradual slow down. This happens on hills and flat ground but on hills it seems like it won't adjust throttle to compensate and so you can slow down slightly then too.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Check the grounds and other connects. The Bentley shows the approximate locations at the front of the wiring diagrams.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Don't know about an 05 but 03 has 2 behind the dash, left side & center-ish. (iIrc)
There's another behind the left kick panel but I think it for the door.

Steering wheel has a ground behind left side of the dash.