Heated. Power. Memory. Cloth?!

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Picked up a pair of Jetta GLX seats for cheap and I'm painstakingly peeling the covers off, salvaging the heating elements, and throwing my cloth covers over top of them. Purchased a retrofit Kufatec harness to tie it all together.

I've taken a few pics thus far, I'll post when finish the job.

PS-I have a latter model mk4 golf so the bolsters are identical so I think I'm gonna be able to pull it off. Wish me luck!

Retrofit wiring instructions:

Connection of seat heating + seat regulation

1. Thin black wire
-Clamp the fuse S5 (cl. 15) in addition using current terminal

2. Red/white wire
-Fuse s44 (cl. 30) both red/white wires in this fuse slot
-Ring crimp terminal. Screw-type terminal cl. 30
-Micro central electrics, 30A fuse

3. Gray wire
-Lighting switch (cl. 58b) using a current terminal to Pin 17
-Light switch plug (gray/blue)

4. Brown wire
-Ground point underneath the steering column

Connection memory

5. Thicker black wire
-Fuse S1 (till 2000 year of construction S9) (cl. 75x)
-both red/black wires in this fuse slot
-Ring crimp terminal to the screw-type terminal 75x
-Micro central electrics, 5a fuse

6. White wire
-Diagnostics plug Pin 7, best braze here, In case the Passat diagnostics wire is always green/gray.

7. Black/yellow wire
-Can Bus Low Pin 6 (orange/brown) at the 23-pin plug from the control unit of the comfort system, need to be soldered

8. Black/white wire
-Can Bus High Pin 9 (orange/green) at the 23-pin plug from the control unit of the comfort system, need to be soldered

If the delivered wiring set has only grey cables, please connect all cables as printed at the end of the cables (this was the case for me at least).

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Be sure to tell us how much a pain in the butt the backrests are to get off. I bought an electric frame for something similar, but didn't get far with it.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Oh they are a big pita. I got the passenger side of the leathers off. Learning from my mistakes on the leathers so I make sure the remains intact. Plus I still need to test the seats when the harness comes in. That's my biggest worry :/

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yeah. The electric seats have a lumbar adjustment on them.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
*installing* lumbar? I don't understand what you mean.
Lito (tongsli) has a thread on installing the lumbar adjustment to his non-lumbar seats. The lumbar adjustment was available on some seats, both cloth and leather, both powered and manual (the adjustment dial itself is always manual). His original thread has a good diagram of how a MkIV seat is constructed, which has helped many members working on seat projects, from installing/fixing heating elements, to recovering seats, to installing lumbar, etc. His diagram has been reposted in many places, so you may have already seen it, but others who find your thread may find it helpful, too.

Members here have done just about every mod to MkIV seats, and threads exist for most of them, unfortunately pictures not hosted by Fred's are often missing. There are numerous how-to's on adding seat heat both here and at the vortex, including pulling the OE heating harnesses, and Lito's and other's pics can be quite helpful for any of these projects (along with the right tools). Newer members are often unaware that their project has already been done, often with good instructions, so others finding your thread, and your eventual write-up & pictures, will have additional sources of information as a guide.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I'll look it up if I run into trouble. I'm moving cloth covers to the powered seat frames and cushions. It has the same manual lumbar as my current seats. My only concern is the motor(s) or element(s) not working when I hook them up. Getting the Kufatec retrofit harness in the next couple days. Pictures and updates posted by the end if the weekend...maybe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk