www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old September 13th, 2019, 11:40   #1
gogun98

Default Alternator Mounting Configuration/Rating Please Help!

Hello, I got my hand on a 1986 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel a few years ago and recently the alternator died. The guy I bought it from did a turbo build on it and in doing so he did a few other upgrades on it such as a new cooling fan system. I say this because I wasn't aware that he also upgrade the alternator from 90A to 120A. I unknowing installed a 90A and sent in the 120A core not jotting doing the part number and manufacturer. I noticed the charging problems pretty quick and associated it with the new alternator.

--So my question is, does anyone know of an alternator that has the same mounting configuration as a Bosch Al30x?

I've done my looking and I cannot find one that compares for the life of me. I've spoken with the guy I bought it from and he confirmed that it was a 120A. I contacted Bosch as well and there doesn't seem to be a name at least for the specific type of mounting configuration, which is unfortunate cause that would make it pretty straight forward. The one that was in the car had identical mounting to the Bosch Al30x except for the current rating. I also do not have the equipment necessary at the moment to fabricate my own mounting plates.

Any ideas would be awesome! Thanks!!
gogun98 is offline   Reply With Quote