Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
Did anyone think that we might get a buyback based on precedence set in the US agreement? Considering we follow the same standards...I can't see how they could get out of it. Just a thought....

CanuckRS

TDI
MK6 Wolfsburg Edition Sportwagen 6MT
Did anyone think that we might get a buyback based on precedence set in the US agreement? Considering we follow the same standards...I can't see how they could get out of it. Just a thought....
If that were the case we would have a settlement already. VW has completely backtracked on its statement that our settlement would mirror the US one. If they had come out July 29th and given me what they are offering in the states for my car ($38,000 CDN) I would have ordered a 2017 Golf Sportwagen 4Motion the same day to replace my TDI. VW has no intention to give us anything close to what they have the US. This is why we don't have a settlement, and this is why I won't be purchasing a VW ever again.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
If that were the case we would have a settlement already. VW has completely backtracked on its statement that our settlement would mirror the US one. If they had come out July 29th and given me what they are offering in the states for my car ($38,000 CDN) I would have ordered a 2017 Golf Sportwagen 4Motion the same day to replace my TDI. VW has no intention to give us anything close to what they have the US. This is why we don't have a settlement, and this is why I won't be purchasing a VW ever again.
Once the news story and the print story tomorrow hit the wilds of the Internet, I wonder how much fun VW Bot is going to have?:)

Like you, I would have stuck with VW had they simply owned up to what they said they would do and treat us equally to the U.S. As they backtracked on that statement, I'm sure they have lost more than a few potential lifelong customers. Darn shame too, since they are capable of making some good cars.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I still think this is *probably* the case, just needs to be finalized in the US.

CanuckRS

TDI
I still think this is *probably* the case, just needs to be finalized in the US.
The US is basically finalized. Owners have already registered for their buybacks or repair packages, dates have already begun being distributed to them for when to drop their cars off.

If VW Canada was willing to do the same here we'd have a deal submitted for approval already. They no longer say our deal is to mirror the US as they did in April. Trying to save their money here.

I'd suggest that everyone goes here and gets their US buyback value for their car based on options and current milage (convert our KM to miles). Be sure to convert the value from US to CDN. According to this calculator I'd be getting $38,000 CDN for my car (2014 Wolfsburg Sportwagen).

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

IF we even get buybacks offered here, I guarantee they won't even come close.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
The US is basically finalized. Owners have already registered for their buybacks or repair packages, dates have already begun being distributed to them for when to drop their cars off.

If VW Canada was willing to do the same here we'd have a deal submitted for approval already. They no longer say our deal is to mirror the US as they did in April. Trying to save their money here.

I'd suggest that everyone goes here and gets their US buyback value for their car based on options and current milage (convert our KM to miles). Be sure to convert the value from US to CDN. According to this calculator I'd be getting $38,000 CDN for my car (2014 Wolfsburg Sportwagen).

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

IF we even get buybacks offered here, I guarantee they won't even come close.
What state did you put in for the estimate?

Using New York as the state, I got a CDN value of $34,091.65 (which included a mileage deduction of CDN $2,569.03). Currently have 91,000 kms on my car.

Last edited:

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Yeeeeah, I got CDN$30,769.46.. that's a wet dream. The way things are going, I'm expecting the decimal place to shift a few times to the left.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Just started dreaming about what it would be like to get a nice big cheque like that...then I woke up and remembered where we are...lol.

CanuckRS

TDI
The reason I want everyone to check this is because I have a feeling that most of us would be quite happy to buy another VW if they had offered us this.

And that's what really pissed me off. They are more concerned about saving all their pennies then they are to make things right with their loyal customers. I think this is going to backfire on them big time. Sure they didn't want to give us big cheques like they did in the US. But most of that money would have been going straight back to them to buy other vehicles and boost their sales. Now they won't be getting a cent back from me.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason I want everyone to check this is because I have a feeling that most of us would be quite happy to buy another VW if they had offered us this.

And that's what really pissed me off. They are more concerned about saving all their pennies then they are to make things right with their loyal customers. I think this is going to backfire on them big time. Sure they didn't want to give us big cheques like they did in the US. But most of that money would have been going straight back to them to buy other vehicles and boost their sales. Now they won't be getting a cent back from me.
The idea of documenting all these values in the posts here is good too, because IF they do happen to offer a buyback it will be really easy to reference these posts again to look up the numbers.

CanuckRS

TDI
The idea of documenting all these values in the posts here is good too, because IF they do happen to offer a buyback it will be really easy to reference these posts again to look up the numbers.
Bingo.

On July 28th, I printed out my loan buyout amount, my Canadian blackbook value, and my US buyback value. Stapled all together and put in my VW folder for future use.

Again, if VW wanted to treat us like the US, we'd have a deal done already. This company doesn't give a flying you know what about its customers. Did everyone enjoy their $1,000 we're sorry cards? Because Americans got $1,000 US. We got $1,000 CDN. Good thing Canadians are idiots right?

I bet VW will offer us the US buyback amounts WITHOUT the dollar conversion.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
I bet VW will offer us the US buyback amounts WITHOUT the dollar conversion.
Initially, I thought that would be decent to just get a buyback offer. And then I did the math and realized that it would translate $25,000+ to $34000 after the exchange rate. Overlooking the exchange rate would cost us severely.

Did you compare the Black Book values to the NADA values for your vehicle? Are they actually somewhat comparable?

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.huntclubvw.com/tdi-update.html

The statement here kinda mimics what we saw in the response from VW customer care posted in the Facebook group.

Unlike the statement on vwemissionsinfo.ca, this one specifically says that they were waiting for the outcome of the US settlement before starting here. Even THAT would have been good to hear a few months ago.

CanuckRS

TDI
Initially, I thought that would be decent to just get a buyback offer. And then I did the math and realized that it would translate $25,000+ to $34000 after the exchange rate. Overlooking the exchange rate would cost us severely.

Did you compare the Black Book values to the NADA values for your vehicle? Are they actually somewhat comparable?
My NADA value converts to about $2,000 more than my BlackBook value.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm, so even if they did do a straight-up "US => CDN" conversion, there may still be a difference here due to a different source of evaluation.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Way to go guys we are getting on the news and more reporters are writing and covering our story! Keep it up and spread the word about this site and our facebook page.

CanuckRS

TDI
Way to go guys we are getting on the news and more reporters are writing and covering our story! Keep it up and spread the word about this site and our facebook page.
Yeah, it's been really good so far. We've gotten onto the 6pm news and the Facebook group is at 86 members and growing. Hopefully the word will spread. Trying to keep active on Twitter with the #DoneWithVW hastag.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Had the car in for safety today (which needed some things done I was trying to put off :p ) and had a talk with the owner of the place.

I let him know straight away I'm not upset with them or the service, they've been all kinds of great to us. But that I wanted to be "one more voice" he can report back to VW about unhappy customers. He said he knows he we feel, he's got 25 cars out back he can't sell and knows 7 or 8 that said they'd buy them (never mind how many would but didn't directly say). I said the longer this drags on and the more VW Canada gives these signals that they don't care about us as customers the harder it becomes to consider another VW - and the single biggest reason we would get another VW is because of the dealership. It was a really good and friendly conversation as I really have no ill will towards the local dealer. He said he'd run it up the pole and pass it along.

I figured it was worth a go. The more complaints they hear the better.

CanuckRS

TDI
Had the car in for safety today (which needed some things done I was trying to put off :p ) and had a talk with the owner of the place.

I let him know straight away I'm not upset with them or the service, they've been all kinds of great to us. But that I wanted to be "one more voice" he can report back to VW about unhappy customers. He said he knows he we feel, he's got 25 cars out back he can't sell and knows 7 or 8 that said they'd buy them (never mind how many would but didn't directly say). I said the longer this drags on and the more VW Canada gives these signals that they don't care about us as customers the harder it becomes to consider another VW - and the single biggest reason we would get another VW is because of the dealership. It was a really good and friendly conversation as I really have no ill will towards the local dealer. He said he'd run it up the pole and pass it along.

I figured it was worth a go. The more complaints they hear the better.
Awesome stuff.

I hear you on the dealership thing. Personally I love my local VW dealer. It sucks that they are basically in the same boat as us. Unfortunately they won't be getting my business anymore but it's nothing they've done wrong, I just hate this brand.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Awesome stuff.
I hear you on the dealership thing. Personally I love my local VW dealer. It sucks that they are basically in the same boat as us. Unfortunately they won't be getting my business anymore but it's nothing they've done wrong, I just hate this brand.
Yup, I'm 99% there too. Leaving the door open for the new (larger) tiguan and a very very good bonus incentive to stay.

sweetpmc

TDI
2014 Golf wagon TDI, Wolfsburg edition
A beemer (328 or 335) is my 3rd choice. I guess in short...being from Europe..I like European cars. These Mercedes, the ones I want are out of my price range. So what am I left with? VW, BMW, Audi....(dont even think Fiat is European anymore) I really wish there were more options such as Renault or Skoda...
Being that 'Skoda' is owned by VW, under the current circumstances, the literal meaning of the word is a bit ironic... "it is a pity" ;)

GigaFire

TDI
2012 CW Golf
I've got my replacement car lined up to park my TDI as the deal came up unexpectedly, and is too good to pass up if things fall into place. Don't even care that it destroys fuel compared to the Golf, but it's a 1993 Lexus LS400 with 140,000km on the clock. My roots are in Toyota, so it's a better deal for me.

With regard to the possible renege on mirroring the US deal, VWoC is setting themselves up for a dangerous PR dumpster fire pretty soon.