FS 1997 Passat TDI Sedan in New Bern, NC

zagbt

TDI
1997 b4
SOLD: 1997 Passat TDI Sedan

$1825 OBO -- located in New Bern, NC

Runs good and is drivable. But it needs work. Good project or parts car.
Starts easy, smokes very little.

Black with tan interior.
Odometer unreadable, estimated mileage about 260K-270K

This car was my daily driver from 2005-2010. Car has been driven only occasionally for past 4 years because I have another daily driver now.
Was going to fix it up but have realized I just don't have the motivation. It is due for timing belt replacement. And the brake master cylinder may need replacement soon.

I am the second owner according to carfax. But I purchased the car from a dealer so I don't have any maintenance history from the PO. The odometer read 173k when I bought it. The dealer apparently checked "not actual mileage" on the title transfer form but did not inform me of any odometer issue at the time of purchase. The odometer display went out at around 238k. I have done all maintenance and repairs myself while I have owned the car. Changed oil and timing belts per schedule. I've used Rotella T 15W40 for the first year or so that I had the car. Then switched to Mobile 1 "Truck & SUV" 5W40 and ran that for a couple years until I could not find it or any other diesel rated "full" synthetic locally. Then switched to Rotella T semi-synthetic 5W40. On latest oil change I found Rotella T6 5W40 was avalable here so now using it.

General Details:
Sunroof is fully functional
Has glass lens e-code headlights. I have the originals on hand if desired but they are in bad shape.
Has non-DRL headlight switch installed. I also have teh original DRL switch.
Tires are in good shape and have lots of tread remaining.
Aftermarket alloy wheels.
Body looks to be rust free except for a couple of dings where the paint is chipped
and a small spot of surface rust under the drivers door handle from rubbing because the
handle gasket has recently disintegrated.

Problems:
Paint is going bad on roof, hood and trunk lid.
A few small dings in body, two have some rust where paint was chipped.
Driver's door handle needs gaskets.
Front reflectors/filers next to turn signals are cracked.
A/C not functional
Check engine light is comes on intermittently for glow plug monitoring and EGR control mismatch.
Thermostat seems to be be stuck open.
Right front window regulator stripped.
Drivers power window switches intermittent.
Only window functional is right rear
Alarm system not functional
Power door locks don't work from drivers side key lock, can still be activated from passengers side.
Cruise control not working, probably due to stalk switches.
4-way flashers malfunctioning, only left side flashes. Turn signals work both sides but right turn indicator seems to have a loose connection.
Both front seats seat torn at seam.
Driver's seat fore-aft adjuster doesn't catch at every point. Probably needs cleaning/lubrication.
Driver's seat wobbles.
Headliner falling down.
Right rear door inside lever is broken.
Some plastic trim in interior cracked/broken.
Interior is generally a little rough.
Heater flap foam probably needs to be replaced.
Odometer display unreadable
Stereo display unreadable.
Intermittent electrical fault that sometimes causes rapid battery drain while parked.
Due for timing belt replacement. I have the parts, just haven't gotten around to doing the job.
Brake fluid looks bad and should be flushed soon.
Brake master cylinder may need to be replaced soon.
Accessory belt tensioner may need to be replaced due to worn bushing.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Valid Ad

This is my brother and I've been working with him to get his ad up here. Hope someone can take the car keep it on the road.