Dealer removes "bumper and heater" to replace glow plug?

st50maint

I took my 2006 Jetta to the dealer for a glow plug replacement under warranty. I considered doing it myself but heeded the warnings about the possibility of the ceramic element shattering inside the head. I showed them the printout from Vag Com and told them that number 2 glow plug measured 147 ohms as opposed to the 0.7 ohms on the other 3.

I picked the car up after service hours so I did not have a chance to question them.
This is exactly how my invoice was written:

01230022 TECHNICAL CHECK
8571 WO3 0.35

82311950 GLOW/SPARK PLUG REMOVE+REINSTALL
8571 WO3 0.30
1 N-105-916-04 GLOW PLUG

82201900 HEATER REMOVE AND REINSTALL
8571 WO3 2.20

20601 GLOW PLUG CUSTOMER STATES / CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. TECH CHECKED DTC’S, FOUND CODE FOR OPEN CIRCUIT GLOW PLUG CYLINDER 2.
(P0161B) TECH REMOVED HARNESS, FOUND OK. TECH CHECKED GLOWPLUG, FOUND FAULTY. TECH REMOVED BUMPER, HEATER, REMOVED AND REPLACED GLOWPLUG TO CORRECT, RESET CODES, REPAIR COMPLETE.

Does the bumper and heater removal make any sense?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
I don't know the answer to your question, however, being familiar with the layout of our cars engine bay it's agreed this would seem odd. I have the Bentley DVD service manual somewhere, lemme (dig it out) check...

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
The Bentley CD-ROM manual states the process to remove a glow plug is: remove engine cover, R & R glow plug, replace engine cover.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
I replaced my glow plugs two months ago. It's an easy access with a 10mm deep socket. No need to remove anything other than lift the harness clipped on the glow plugs.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
MyAvocation said:
snip

I'm surprised tech took the time to actually test the harness.
Lets see, since the service record is obviouslly padded re the bumper and heater removal, do you REALLY believe the tech tested the harness?:eek:

st50maint

Went to the dealer today for clarification on what actually was done. They did not remove the bumper or heater. They claim it came up in the computer as part of the procedure to repair the glow plug problem. They said they took advantage of this to make up for times when VW does not compensate them enough for other warranty repairs.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
st50maint said:
... it came up in the computer as part of the procedure to repair the glow plug problem...
All by itself ?? Is this a recent change to AllData or did the manager's kid play with the software??

Yuri.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
If it were me me, this dealer wouldn't have any credibility left. He is already caught in several lies. Computer came up with it - baloney. Left it there to make up for past shortages? SURE, and future shortages too!

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
st50maint said:
Went to the dealer today for clarification on what actually was done. They did not remove the bumper or heater. They claim it came up in the computer as part of the procedure to repair the glow plug problem. They said they took advantage of this to make up for times when VW does not compensate them enough for other warranty repairs.
Hah, Suuuuuuuure!

Not really your problem since it's warantee work, but I guess it's a warning to be careful if you ever pay for work there.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
You could always send a copy to VOA asking if all the work was needed for a glow plug replacement.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Overhauling the bumper assembly just happens to 2.2 hours in my Pathways software. I can't imagine removing the engine cover allowing more than a couple tenths.

I don't see why the entire bumper assembly-cover, absorber, and reinforcement need to come out. Removing and installing just the cover pays 1.4 hours. Sounds