2006 Jetta Shuddering and Black Smoke on accell

casparky

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2004 Ford F-250 Powerstroke
Hello Everyone... I have a 2006 Jetta (BRM) DSG Auto Trans. The car shudders when taking off from a dead stop or just after completing a turn and trying to accellerate. The car will shudder/stumble for a few seconds then, like magic! all of a sudden the car will have rocket like accelleration, but with tons of black smoke pouring out of the tail pipe. This happens everytime you are driving and has been doing this since I have owned the car at about 65K. I thought it was normal since I have never owned a 2006 TDI before, it wasn't until I drove another one and realized this was a real problem with mine. Otherwise the car drives perfect and gets it's normal fuel economy.

Here is a list of the facts about the car: 110K miles, no check engine light, timing belt was replaced at 80K, new DMF, MAF and fuel filter at 100K. EGR has been checked and operating normally, the timing and timing belt has been rechecked 2X and it's ok, The camshaft has been check and falls within specs.

I have taken it to a few shops including the dealer, they all seem to be stumped and just want to start replacing parts until they find the problem.
Anybody have an ideas of where to look next?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help or advise.

Mark

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Take it to a guru to be checked. Link in my signature below. Check all intake piping is complete/connected and no holes. Black smoke is indicative of over fueling IIRC. Common problem with this series is worn cam. Remove valve cover and inspect cam. Do some reading here on cam failures. Get to a guru.

kjmiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It's possible that the turbo actuator is sticking. Mine does the same thing but it is infrequent. You either have to find a used one or replace the entire turbo. We tried to swap out mine but it seems like you have to remove the turbo to get at it without breaking anything. Good luck. (If I have to remove the turbo a new one is going back in.)

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hello Everyone... I have a 2006 Jetta (BRM) DSG Auto Trans. The car shudders when taking off from a dead stop or just after completing a turn and trying to accellerate. The car will shudder/stumble for a few seconds then, like magic! all of a sudden the car will have rocket like accelleration, but with tons of black smoke pouring out of the tail pipe. This happens everytime you are driving and has been doing this since I have owned the car at about 65K. I thought it was normal since I have never owned a 2006 TDI before, it wasn't until I drove another one and realized this was a real problem with mine. Otherwise the car drives perfect and gets it's normal fuel economy.

Here is a list of the facts about the car: 110K miles, no check engine light, timing belt was replaced at 80K, new DMF, MAF and fuel filter at 100K. EGR has been checked and operating normally, the timing and timing belt has been rechecked 2X and it's ok, The camshaft has been check and falls within specs.

I have taken it to a few shops including the dealer, they all seem to be stumped and just want to start replacing parts until they find the problem.
Anybody have an ideas of where to look next?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help or advise.

Mark
Have you taken your car to me here at Wild Rose Motors, Ltd. in Whittier,CA? By the contents of your post, I seriously doubt it. I also seriously doubt that you purchased your car from us due to your specifying that the car has had this symptom since you acquired it at 65K because I would never sell one with such an issue without rectifying it first. If you want a resolution as opposed to those who are simply throwing parts at it, contact me. Later!

Thoma156

TDI
2006 Jetta 5speed TDI
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum but have been soaking up all the good advise for a while. My 06 tdi has been having problems for a while and some days I feel like I'm making progress and other days not. Recently my jetta started blowing out huge clouds of black smoke. The block 13 metering showed that my injectors were way out of balance, spread of about -3.1 to 2.2... I was going to send them in to have them rebuild when Frank06 suggested that I switch the injectors to see if the problem followed the injector or the hole. After switching them, they all came back under control at around -0.31 to 0.91... That makes me think that my wires may have just been needing some wiggling or something. Don't know why else they would suddenly start working better.
I also had a turbo going down so I replaced that and the car feels much better in every way but I still had the black smoke issue.
The car has about 160k on it and I also recently blocked off the egr because it has given me problems since buying the car. I'm getting a stage 1 Rocketchip tune as soon as I can get the smoke to stop.
After reading some of the threads about smoke I tried disconectint the plug to the anti shutter valve and it worked like a charm. No more black smoke and the car runs great. Now I have to figure out why the car was telling the ASV to close.
BTW, my cam is good. It was replaced about 5K ago and I inspected it last night.
I am getting a P0131 code but not sure if thats from a faulty O2 sensor or just from the car running so bad.
Any ideas?

casparky

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2004 Ford F-250 Powerstroke
Hello Harvieux....Thanks for the info and might take you up on the offer. Just to be clear I never said I purchased the car from you. I purchased it out of state.

Thanks

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum but have been soaking up all the good advise for a while. My 06 tdi has been having problems for a while and some days I feel like I'm making progress and other days not. Recently my jetta started blowing out huge clouds of black smoke. The block 13 metering showed that my injectors were way out of balance, spread of about -3.1 to 2.2... I was going to send them in to have them rebuild when Frank06 suggested that I switch the injectors to see if the problem followed the injector or the hole. After switching them, they all came back under control at around -0.31 to 0.91... That makes me think that my wires may have just been needing some wiggling or something. Don't know why else they would suddenly start working better.
I also had a turbo going down so I replaced that and the car feels much better in every way but I still had the black smoke issue.
The car has about 160k on it and I also recently blocked off the egr because it has given me problems since buying the car. I'm getting a stage 1 Rocketchip tune as soon as I can get the smoke to stop.
After reading some of the threads about smoke I tried disconectint the plug to the anti shutter valve and it worked like a charm. No more black smoke and the car runs great. Now I have to figure out why the car was telling the ASV to close.
BTW, my cam is good. It was replaced about 5K ago and I inspected it last night.
I am getting a P0131 code but not sure if thats from a faulty O2 sensor or just from the car running so bad.
Any ideas?
I have the Rocketchip Stage 1 on my car. Man it's night and day. However, you will have some smoke if you get up on it. It's a trade off for the extra 30hp and 50ftlbs of torque.