What do non-mechanics use for diagnostics on newer VW's?

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
VCDS is a brand of Ross-Tech. Not a generic term. That dongle is not a VCDS. Just saying.

Why do you need VCDS for replacing brake rotors and pads?

I didn't, apparently. All went well. I'm sure this VCDS is the way to check everything on these VW's, I'm just unsure if I'll be able to use it properly, or at all. I have all sorts of stuff for maintenance, 40K kit from IDparts, just frustrating to me I can't just throw this on, like a normal car. What needs to be done with the VCDS to do the DGS service? I thought it was yank the battery, tray, and move wiring to access the filter. Warm to near operating temp, and do the drain plug gig. I obviously need help here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The VCDS tool and this site combine to make an awesome source for info on your car. I hate being at someone elses mercy to repair my car. I always look up online first to find out what is going on. For instance my wife's 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe set a P0018 code which points to the camshaft sensor not reading in conjunction with the crankshaft sensor. They replaced the camshaft sensor for $325 and the light coming back on the same day as the repair. When checking online I find the engine has variable vale timing which is controlled by four sensors. One of these was actually not working correctly. Even a TSB out there about it and how to determine if they were good or not. Had she let me know before hand about the repair I would have had them check this first and saved the $325 for the unneeded camshaft sensor. Being able to check the codes and check back here (or other sources for other cars) is sure handy for doing your own diagnosis before hand.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I didn't, apparently. All went well. I'm sure this VCDS is the way to check everything on these VW's, I'm just unsure if I'll be able to use it properly, or at all. I have all sorts of stuff for maintenance, 40K kit from IDparts, just frustrating to me I can't just throw this on, like a normal car. What needs to be done with the VCDS to do the DGS service? I thought it was yank the battery, tray, and move wiring to access the filter. Warm to near operating temp, and do the drain plug gig. I obviously need help here.

VCDS is used to get it up to the correct temp before draining the excess fluid. This isn't that hard just a little messy. Just did my daughters 2015 Passat.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
O Reilieys and others DO NOT have scanners that work on newer VW's... I cannot get my car scanned for free in town. This is why I started this thread. I agree that just getting the code is simply the beginning-how does one translate it? Sounds as if the VCDS software does that for you. My question is, do some of the other options work on VW's for less money? I saw 500, but I still think that $200 is a lot as well...
Have you tried scanning with those tools? They will work and will pull codes. This is part of DOT regulations to car manufacturers that you must be able to receive basic trouble shooting data (aka codes) generically and that no lock or rights will be associated. Sake this that happens to porting phone numbers ages ago.
I just scanned my bosses 2019 porsche 718 Cayman with my kobra and just last night tried it on my neighbors 2018 got. Yea works fine. But all I could do is read basic logged history as those cars have no current faults.

If you think 200 is a lot for a quality tool and or parts/ maintenance for your car, sell it and go buy a cheep pos old Econo box. Parts for VW and other cars now days are costly and 200 is cheep.
Buy once cry once. You will not regret it when it comes time to do just about any work to your car and also to figure out how to not throw parts at it for nothing. This tool will pay for its self the first time you need it' and then some.

Last edited:

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Please excuse my ignorance, but a cheap ass lap top costs, what, $150, get said cable that attaches to the OBDI port? I’m sure I must register myself and the car somehow, then all this info pops up on the screen?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Please excuse my ignorance, but a cheap ass lap top costs, what, $150, get said cable that attaches to the OBDI port? I’m sure I must register myself and the car somehow, then all this info pops up on the screen?
Facebook marketplace, used laptop for $50. It can be old.
Rosstech vagcom cable connects to OBD2 port. Download and launch vcds for free. That's it. There might be a registration on these limited vin ones' I have no experiance with them' I have old cable!
Look up how to use vcds' it can be a bit tricky to someone who has no experiance with it, but it's not that complicated and about 10 minutes spent looking into how it works and you will do just fine.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I picked up my VagCom (now VCDS) cable in ~2000 and it has paid for itself many times over. If you do your own maintenance it is a valuable troubleshooting tool, we are on our tenth VW/Audi product .

A couple months ago my Passat dash lit up like a Christmas tree driving to work. Once I determined it wasn't a soft tire I made it to work and back. After scanning, I discovered a corroded/partially disintegrated left rear abs ring. ID Parts and a couple hours later all was well. Can't imagine what a stealer would have determined and charged.

I recommend the purchase. Good luck, John

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
As much as I don’t want to, I’m going to set this in motion. I obviously have support right here with you guys. Be prepared for some dumb ass computer questions. Thank you one and all, it’s just starting I think......

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Look at the Ross Tech site for the needed specs on the computer and then buy the cheapest working one you can find. Cyber Monday is here. You should be able to find something new for cheap as well. I found a Windows 10 tablet with keyboard a year or so ago for $99 brand new. I only use it for VCDS and traveling.

Also just so you know, the first thing you do is run a scan of the car and save the results to a log file. That way if you make any programming changes and need to revert back you will have the original settings there for you to do so.

Last edited:

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Thanks, I have been looking at Ross, I truly know nothing about what I’m looking at half the time. Can’t believe I’m going to look for a lap top. I would rather get bitten by a snake.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Your loss if you don't. Along with all the stupid/bad stuff online are some really great things as well. You tube can be amazing when looking for help on how to do something on your car or other things. This site is great along with:

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/

and some really good sites for parts from our site sponsors as well. I have a 1935 Ford that I was able to download and save the complete parts diagrams and repair manuals for as well as talk to some older people than I (60) on how to do things. The internet is a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped. Don't waste a golden opportunity! Any questions just ask and someone can clue you in.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
any laptop you can find that works will be fine. if you find anything running windows 98 i would be amazed. stuff goes out of date really fast. you dont even need a laptop honestly. you can do it with a tablet, one that runs windows and has a USB port on the side. i see those things go for $20 here and there, the old ones! AND, i have heard of (never confirmed, it was in small talk with some local VW guys) using a USB thumb drive connector to type C or micro USB for smart phones. if your smart phone runs windows you can do a port that will run a version that can install VCDS, it emulates windows 2000 and beyond. but that might be a bit more technical for someone not able to do some trick stuff with drivers and windows.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Truly thank you guys. There is a wealth of information on the web, I do the you tube vids on the GSW to see what I’m getting into. Have done construction nearly since birth it seems, so not until I was 40 did I even touch a computer I owned, never have been shown what to do, I just scratch the surface of these machines. Be prepared....... the stuff I’m going to ask you will be sub 101.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Although I've owned VCDS from early on when I purchased my first TDI, Scan Gauge is an awesome device to keep plugged into the OBD Port. I can scan on the go. All DTCs can be searched on the Internet, and if you have a Bentley Manual for your model, they can be found in it. I have three Scan Gauges, one in each of my VWs, including my Vanagon with the ALH engine!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Scangauge II is seriously the best . Changed the way I drive. Also coolant temps vs bs VW temp range

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I used a scangauge for a while, it was especially helpful on track days. But I took it out of my car, too much info. Not necessary for daily driving, IMO. I just plug in VCDS and check for codes periodically. Rocketchip shut off the check engine light in my car so I don't see what's up otherwise.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I use the Scangauge in our GSW to monitor DPF temp so I don't interrupt regens. I'll be putting one in the new Golf too...

I used a scangauge for a while, it was especially helpful on track days. But I took it out of my car, too much info. Not necessary for daily driving, IMO. I just plug in VCDS and check for codes periodically. Rocketchip shut off the check engine light in my car so I don't see what's up otherwise.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
An OBDII dongle and an old android phone with Torque loaded on it is far cheaper and much better in my opinion than ScangaugeII. More info can be accessed and can also clear codes and such as well. The dongle is cheap (or can be) and so are old android phones. Not hard to setup either. I keep my old phone setup in the car just for this. I always have VCDS handy on my tablet if needed but not easy to drive around with it connected.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Idle speed bumps up about 50 RPM, that's the tip-off for me. If I think it's up I will listen for the fans before shutting the car down. But honestly I'm unwilling to let the car dictate when I stop and shut it down. It should be fine if I interrupt a regen now and then.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, IndigoBlueWagon, you've gone and hurt my feelings ......."..too much info."..:)

Hmm .... well, besides Scan Gauge, below is what I monitor in my Vanagon with the ALH engine....

Top, L to R..
McNally EGT/Coolant Combo, VDO Boost/Vac, Oil Coolant Temp (temp of coolant coming out of the oil cooler)

Bottom, L to R...
Coolant System Pressure, Vacuum System Vac, Volts and Oil pressure

You can also see the Speedometer of the Jetta Cluster.

Not in view, is a small green LED light indicator that tells me when the AC Compressor is engage. Also, I have an in-line fuel pump (auxiliary, for priming) with an LED indicator light showing when it is on.

Almost forgot, and below the four-pod gauge gang I plan to install a three-pod with "before and after" combo turbo charge temp, ???? and ????? .. Obviously, not sure about those last two might be (I'll take suggestions.....:D)

GPS up above out of sight ....

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Scangauge II rules. I have it in the left corner of my dash to monitor water, EGT, DFP temps and boost. I typically idle until EGT temps are down below 370F before shutting down. Also useful for more accurate water temps and regen monitoring. Cheap insurance for a long term vehicle.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But it costs nearly as much as the $199 VCDS. If I were to spend that kind of money I would opt for VCDS instead. Torque and a BT dongle is pretty cheap at less than $20.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where are you getting your prices from? I'm sure you can (I did) pick up a used scangaueII for $50 on ebay. The difference is that the II has 4 read outside while the E has 2. Yea the II is 134 on amazon and about 120 on ebay but you cant complain about quality stuff for your car that saves you money fairly quickly.
ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yCe7Db15N81RK
80 bucks
And it's the new version of the scangauge.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well I was quoting new prices but VCDS can be had used as well. It is much more useful than the scan gauge as well. But the OP didn't want to spend any big money so I think that rules out most things we use and takes it down to the Torque and BT dongle. For $20 you can't beat the usefulness of it. Rent or find a local owner of VCDS when you actually need the tool.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
big money? some people have very low standards. To me Big money on a car is at least $1,000 for a part or something like this. $100 is still a big deal to me (heck im ticked off when i have to spend $5 on something) but i see value beyond the price for this. I jumped 5mpg better overall by having scangauge show me real time GPH and MPG. i have a lead foot apparently when normal driving.

OP just keep an eye out for deals, eBay bucks, discounts, fire sales, and so on on these parts.
every few blue moons eBay has a $20 off thing or 5% and so on. combine that with some strategic eBay purchases of things you normally buy to rack up more in ebay bucks, use befrugal to click though for a few extra % and you can really rack up a decent savings on an item that comes up used on an already good deal.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well your idea of expensive and the OP are different it seems. They expressed that even $200 was way too much. To me this means the cheapest you can get and still get the job done. Assuming you have an Android device that would be what I suggested. Hard to beat $20.