High performance upgrades

Chrisba14

TDI
Passat b4
Hey guys new to the tdi worl just picked up a b4 passat tdi and im wonder whats out there for horsepower and torque upgrades bolt ons preffered any ideas would be great

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Lots!....chips, injector nozzles, turbos, intakes.....the possibilities are endless.....The limit is only how much you want to spend on it.....

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
And once you get started modding your TDI, you just want more and more. It can become an expensive habit!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Start with a chip tune. Lots of us here in MA are Rocketchip users. You should go see mrchill (two posts up) he may have an ECU you could try. A simple chip tune does a lot for these cars.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Start with a chip tune. Lots of us here in MA are Rocketchip users. You should go see mrchill (two posts up) he may have an ECU you could try. A simple chip tune does a lot for these cars.
I started off with a Neuspeed Stage 1 (no longer sold). Crappy compared to my Malone tune, but compared to stock, WORLDS of difference (and the emissions system was still stock). Only downside is sometimes the clutch on my DSG would slip.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
B4s respond well to a tune, but getting more power after that starts to get challenging. The turbo is tiny, intercooler is easily overwhelmed and hard to upgrade, and the electronics are primitive compared to later cars. My B4 has RC2 which gives it a nice bump in power, especially on the highway. I've decided to leave it at that. I don't think the car is ever going to be "fast".