what turbo do i have?? bought a modded car

Emkayfouralh

TDI
2003 Jetta alh
hi guys, i bought my tdi with some work done to it unknowingly. ts got a bit of stuff done to it but my main concern is the turbo. i dont know what type of turbo it is. there are part numbers hand engraved on it and it also says garrett on the cold side turbine housing. if i look up the part numbers it brings me to two pages. one is saying a 17/22 and the other is saying straight vnt 22. the actuator on the turbo is made by honeywell if that makes a difference.

the engravings on it are 170-025-0038
KI30017HA or maybe its KI30017HF, or maybe its 4F or 4H i cant tell because its hand engraved so crappily
this is one page it brings me to. http://cppdiesel.com/garrett-gt17-22-stage-ii-hyrbid-turbo-99-5-03-vw-tdi/
only thing is, that page has a T at the end of their part number.....shed any light?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a Garrett 17/22, probably from us. That number is the one our distributor uses for that turbo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I ran that turbo for 120K miles with a Rocketchip tune. Loves every mile of it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sure we will. And we'd like the exchange rate to get better, too, except when we're buying stuff from Europe. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, it does, unless you can find someone with remaining stock. Probably the closest thing that's new is the VNT-17. Max output is only slightly less, and now tuners have figured out ways to reduce the lag that caused people to make the 17/22.

The 1756 is a good turbo, too, but more difficult to source and install. And truthfully the market for larger turbos for these cars seems to have declined in recent years as the cars have aged. Even my ALHs have VNT-15s in them now.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
1722 should be no problem for the foreseeable future. ;)

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Absolutely! we stocked up when we knew this was happening.

Emkayfouralh

TDI
2003 Jetta alh
yea i dont know the mileage on my turbo but ive had it off before when i was replacing the cylinder two piston and there was barely any shaft play at all, almost literally zero. i love the turbo but its a bit laggy. im getting new injectors soon and a better tune for the turbo. maybe then i can burnout in 3rd gear in the dry not just the rain like i can now :) heres a pic of the piston
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited: