TDIFest 2011, Where will it be?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yup, you read that right. This is one of the first "Where will TDIFest 2011 be?" posts/threads. While most people on the west coast (and beyond) are more interested in TDIFest 2010 happening next week, it is also a perfect time to gather information from present and past organizers on what to expect and learn more about what is required to pull off a TDIFest. This is especially true if you are fortunate enough to make it to Portland to experience the 11th TDIFest.
While many larger meets have the same organizers and/or locations each year, TDIFest is a little different. While there is a steering committee that has been formed to help keep things on course and provide advice and guidance, the main work and 'local flair' comes from the group of dedicated local volunteers that put on each TDIFest. Since the location of TDIFest moves around each year, it gives an opportunity for people different parts of Canada and the US a chance to experience the event as well as providing a new location for the diehards a destination to plan their TDIFest excursion to and see the country side.
Now for the details:
Parties interested in hosting TDIFest 2011, please get a bid in by October 25, 2010 and a decision will be made by November 15th, 2010 on the location of TDIFest 2011. --edit: announcement delayed until November 22, 2010---
Here are some requirements and info that should be figured out before a proposal is submitted by that date.
1) Find a core group of people (5 or more) to work with you on the planning and implementation. This will help divide up the work, and keep problems from arising should 1 or 2 move away (this does happen).
2) Figure out who will be the leader and second in charge will be. Also who will be in charge of the finance/budgets and registration.
3) Get a estimate of costs, event places, etc. Talk to the hotels to get room approximate rates/requirements, etc.
4) Submit a email to me with details on the people involved and what your plans and cost estimates are. Be sure to include some information on distances between suggested events. Also any relevant experience individuals in the group may have with planning larger events.
The data has traditionally been the Labour Day (or Labor Day for those in the US) weekend. This could be moved if there is a good enough reason, but remember that no date is ever perfect for everyone. Remember these event plans don't have to be set in stone. If you have something planned for Saturday morning and it has to be Sunday afternoon, that is fine as things will change. Please post any questions you may have as we have all learned a lot from past fests on how to make these things better than ever. You can also fire me an email if you wish.
Shalon (Organizer for TDIFest 2007 and again this year for TDIFest 2010) has provided a great summary below:
----------------------------------------------------------
First step: Organize a group of people in your area.
You need a group of people who are dedicated to pulling off this organization, as it is a lot of hard work. People who are willing to give up a few of their weekends to run around and get venues, scope out the area, have frequent meetings.
Next, you need to set up formal meeting times when you can sit down to discuss the fest. This means setting up SEVERAL meetings with your group and possibly previous fest organizers.. I'm pushing back the deadline this year to give people a little more time to get a good proposal together (almost 2 months, but I'll gladly take a completed proposal before that).
Once you have everyone collected you'll need to discuss the city/town/area that you are proposing for the fest and organize what information you'll need for the proposal. this is where it gets tricky, as everyone will have idea's as to what they want to DO at the fest. This is not the time for this discussion. Try to keep on track and discuss hotels, parks, other venues where the fest can be held. Then distribute the research work evenly among the group members.
Things you'll need to know about your proposed Fest area:
VENUE! (can't have a fest without a Venue).
- Cost of the venue - if it's a hotel, what are the room rates, food/menu rates, meeting/conference space costs, etc.
if it's in an outdoor space other than a hotel: area rental costs, place to hold the banquet, outdoor wrenching restrictions (environmental laws?)
Things to do around the area: Parks, malls, tourist attractions, places to eat,etc.
- International considerations - passports required, taxes, Currency exchanges, vendor issues (if the fest is going to be over a border other than the US - i.e. Canada, or wherever else).
Basic Agenda:
- What are you planning on doing with several hundred people for 3 days
- Friday - registrations, evening meet-n-greet usually - what will be your
menu, activity of choice, etc.
- Saturday all day - registrations, activities (tech sessions, vendors, area activities, etc), food (breakfast, lunch, OR dinner... pick one), activity Saturday night?
- Sunday - food (usually the banquet Sunday night), Show n shine, other activities, banquet, wrenching, etc.
What are the qualifications of your group members:
WHO ARE THEY?!?! who exactly is going to be in your group. If you have group members that are planning a fest from one location that is different than the actual fest location - Do you have Area Volunteers!?!? Who are they?
Who has experience organizing large scale events? does their career choice allow them to volunteer for such a dedicated process? In other words, they have the drive, but do they have the time?
Who will be your group "leader" or primary contact/liaison?
This is just some information that folks will need to know if they are planning on organizing a fest proposal. Once you submit a proposal, in an organized, informative format - the work gets more abundant from there. But with the right crew of volunteers, and everyone pitching in to help, it can go VERY smoothly!
To previous fest organizers, please feel free to pitch in other information. If you have your previous proposal and would like to link it on the page, I'm sure it would be a great help to future fest organizers, to see what others have done. We need to learn from one another! Maybe this will encourage others to volunteer, rather than compete or stand aside for someone else to do it! Let's help to make Fests in future years easier and more fun for everyone!
----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Oh man, let the games begin. I'd like to see CA, TX, and of course an east coast proposal. I'll be driving to the next one for sure.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Make it happen.... if you want it bad it enough... make it happen.

I'm here to help answer any questions that you may have about putting together a Fest. feel free to pick my brain and ask away.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Make it happen.... if you want it bad it enough... make it happen.

I'm here to help answer any questions that you may have about putting together a Fest. feel free to pick my brain and ask away.
I'm here too...I'd suggest that we don't start picking away at Zippy's brain too much - she needs it to pull off this Fest!:D

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Throwing in a suggestion for an excellent location with plenty of parking and a local community that would benefit from the influx of visitors...

Iqaluit, Nunavut.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Wow, Did I just read scurvy, aja8888 and dieseldorf are looking at putting together some proposals? Way to go guys! :D
Scurvy, I do have to admit that you are taking up quite a challenge since the only highway is between the highway and the town. Are you thinking of airlifting in the cars or something else? ;)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Throwing in a suggestion for an excellent location with plenty of parking and a local community that would benefit from the influx of visitors...
I say go dead center in the middle of the country and have everyone drive in from all directions in convergence on Kansas City, Kansas! ;)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
I'm here too...I'd suggest that we don't start picking away at Zippy's brain too much - she needs it to pull off this Fest!:D
correction.. WE need to pull off this fest. i'm not the only crazy person working this gig. :p

and besides, just because I'm having issues putting full. sent.ences. to.ge.ther @ this. pt. doe.sn't. mean' tha"I/m not <b> willing<u/> to h.elp.
;) (this is code for my brain feels like mush right now)

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
correction.. WE need to pull off this fest. i'm not the only crazy person working this gig. :p

and besides, just because I'm having issues putting full. sent.ences. to.ge.ther @ this. pt. doe.sn't. mean' tha"I/m not <b> willing<u/> to h.elp.
;) (this is code for my brain feels like mush right now)
Awe crap. you broke our ZIPPY!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Wow, Did I just read scurvy, aja8888 and dieseldorf are looking at putting together some proposals? Way to go guys! :D
Just posting up a "location thought". Even at my age (old Fart), I am still employed full time (or more) so I could not dedicate the time required to pull this off. I would consider being part of the planning staff if someone from the region stepped up.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Scurvy, I do have to admit that you are taking up quite a challenge since the only highway is between the highway and the town. Are you thinking of airlifting in the cars or something else? ;)
Caulk the diesels and float 'em!

Not putting a proposal together personally, unfortunately. Got my hands full of a newborn right now!

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep

Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Good Call... It would be quite the Roadtrip even for us Canadian boys eh!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does location really matter? Go ahead! Keep on moving it around! I'll still show up.
Someone eventually spills the beans and I find out where it is to be anyway.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Just posting up a "location thought". Even at my age (old Fart), I am still employed full time (or more) so I could not dedicate the time required to pull this off. I would consider being part of the planning staff if someone from the region stepped up.
awe.. c'mon... I've been helping to plan fest "full-time" with a full time job, part-time job, and being a full-time student (plus i threw a move into the middle of that mix too). It can be done! :eek: granted, most people are not as insane as I with their schedules, and everyone has their threshold. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I vote the Chicago 2010 proposal be resubmitted for 2011.

and I heard that there might be a proposal from KY in the works as well.

I would also be up for another Dulles VA fest.

in other words, I am jonesing for a fest and cannot make this years.. so lets get proposin!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
awe.. c'mon... I've been helping to plan fest "full-time" with a full time job, part-time job, and being a full-time student (plus i threw a move into the middle of that mix too). It can be done! :eek: granted, most people are not as insane as I with their schedules, and everyone has their threshold. :)
Zippy, it sounds like you have more "energy left in your tank" than I do ....:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe Jefferson City Missouri is the geographic center of the US. Actually not a bad town. But you can't easily fly there. Not a problem for us, right?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Bring it back to the Motherland ........Calgary, AB, Canada

Wild Rose Country

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Dare I suggest it....Las Vegas?

Lots of hotels and places. A great track, and even a lot of stuff to do besides TDI Fest. :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I believe Jefferson City Missouri is the geographic center of the US. Actually not a bad town. But you can't easily fly there. Not a problem for us, right?
Naw, it's Lebanon, Kansas:

The GEOGRAPHIC CENTER of the UNITED STATES
LAT. 39°50' LONG. 98°35'
NE 1/4 - SE 1/4 - S32 - T2S - R11W
Located by L.T. Hagadorn of Paulette & Wilson - Engineers and L.A. Beardslee - County Engineer. From data furnished by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey.
mi Sponsored by Lebanon Hub Club. Lebanon, Kansas. April 25, 1940.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan

Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Iqaluit! YESSSS! I almost went there for one of my Canadian Studies classes. maybe i could get some seal skin set covers for my Jetta?

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Ok so now a semi serious reply.

How about a two-part TdiFest that starts in Dawson Creek, Yukon and ends in In Anchorage, AK. We could all caravan the Al-Can highway!

Okay that's not really doable, I know, but Alaska is always left out.

To seriously reply to Scurvy's comment that we pick a city/region that could rally use the influx of tourism, I seriously suggest Louisiana or the Gulf Coast region. Lord knows, they need the money,and with tourism off, hotel rates and other associated costs have got to be plummeting.