Volkswagen says US pickup is back on the table

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
meowguy said:
Lest we forget the little Rabbit diesel pickup. :D
I tried to find one of those a few years ago, and couldn't find anything worthwhile around here. One person wanted $1000 for something that was a real rust bucket, and it didn't even run! That's when I came across the Mitsu. While that was OK, the lack of part availability in the US really made it difficult to rebuild. Then my Sister-in-Law gave us the Dodge after her husband died.

Personally, I still wish I could have found a VW Rabbit pickup. The Dodge is nice, but too big and really poor mileage. That V6 doesn't do any better than the big Hemis :eek:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Mahindra of Raleigh is also taking depotsits on TR20 and TR40 models. They say the SUV will be here by end of the year, which is important as a friend of mine needs a 7-seater but needs more than 20mpg. The Mahindra, despite ugliness, fits that need.

Since we lost the Jeep we decided that we really would do better to have a pickup, and we're now debating on the TR20 or TR40. We won't buy until 2011 at the earliest, because the Jetta has to be paid off.

The warranty is 4 years 60k miles bumper to bumper -- I like that A LOT.

I'm going to be called to test drive one as soon as they came in. Trust me, I'll be reporting about it. This is the most excited I've been about a vehicle since the New Beetle came out in 98.

Last edited:

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
I'd also be interested in a Mahindra if it weren't automatic only. :rolleyes:
I really hope after the initial introduction that they add a manual model/option. But I'd be interested in the Amarok even more... but again, only if it has that elusive third pedal.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
domboy said:
I'd also be interested in a Mahindra if it weren't automatic only. :rolleyes:
I really hope after the initial introduction that they add a manual model/option. But I'd be interested in the Amarok even more... but again, only if it has that elusive third pedal.
I can pretty much promise if VW makes a truck it won't have a third pedal.

There are not many trucks sold in a stick anymore. I don't think any of the Honda trucks come with one, Toyotas I know the smaller ones did but don't know about the bigger ones, F1/250's do have manuals but not many, it's super hard to find a diesel cummins manual in our area (demand? I don't know)... autos around all day long.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
kcfoxie said:
I can pretty much promise if VW makes a truck it won't have a third pedal.

There are not many trucks sold in a stick anymore. I don't think any of the Honda trucks come with one, Toyotas I know the smaller ones did but don't know about the bigger ones, F1/250's do have manuals but not many, it's super hard to find a diesel cummins manual in our area (demand? I don't know)... autos around all day long.
Maybe, but the Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton diesels are at least available with a manual option (I know, I've checked their websites). Shucks, just yesterday there was a dually Ford F350 diesel parked outside where I work, and I happened to glance in the cab as I passed... no mistaking the manual shifter. Now, I have no idea how prevalent they are. I've done a few searches for diesel & manual on autotrader.com and I usually get a bunch of hits, probably a good mix of diesel+manual trucks and VWs, I'd venture to guess more hits on the truck side. They are around. I keep getting the urge to buy one (not that I have the money to), just in case Ford and Dodge decide to drop the option like GM did a few years ago. Hey, I might want a truck someday... and sadly these monsters are the only ones with the diesel and manual combination.

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I really think its the market. You're on the coast, how far out are you searching? (Then again I was also, at the time, looking within a mileage restriction -- as in odo miles)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
What do they mean by 1 ton truck, is that how much it weighs?
This thing is tiny and cannot compete with the big 3 diesel pickups here in the US. So what if can haul one ton of payload, my old 1981 F150 1/2 ton truck could do that also. My 2000 F250 3/4 ton hardly squatted when 3000 lbs of pavers were loaded into it last fall.
Is this just a joke?

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
kcfoxie said:
I really think its the market. You're on the coast, how far out are you searching? (Then again I was also, at the time, looking within a mileage restriction -- as in odo miles)
Hmm, I don't recall how far out I searched. Probably a couple hundred miles at least, since I know a manual transmission in ANY car model is going to be rarer, and I got used to having to search farther when I was looking for my TDI.

I didn't bother to limit by odo miles... hey, it's a diesel!:D
I've seen trucks with 300-400k miles on them for sale that look like they're still in pretty good shape. Pretty impressive... though I guess looks can be deceiving as they say...

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I was looking for dad, and he's mileage phoebic.

I got my Beetle from someone in ATL thru the forums; I know I woldn't find one locally. Was worth the drive.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
abctdi said:
What do they mean by 1 ton truck, is that how much it weighs?
This thing is tiny and cannot compete with the big 3 diesel pickups here in the US. So what if can haul one ton of payload, my old 1981 F150 1/2 ton truck could do that also. My 2000 F250 3/4 ton hardly squatted when 3000 lbs of pavers were loaded into it last fall.
Is this just a joke?
I believe the 1 ton trucks are the F350 class trucks, but I could be mistaken. Just as your F150 is a "1/2 ton", and your F250 a "3/4 ton", the F350 is a "1 ton". Maybe I've got the names to ratings all wrong. Of course when a "3/4 ton" truck can tow/haul something like 16000 pounds, I'm not sure what the name really means anymore...

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
domboy said:
:D That's funny.
I know, rite? I mean I keep telling him that 250k ain't nothing and he did snap up the like 500-600k mile Mk2 Golf diesel but he won't get a TDI unless it's under 150k miles.... he's just weird like that.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
domboy said:
I believe the 1 ton trucks are the F350 class trucks, but I could be mistaken. Just as your F150 is a "1/2 ton", and your F250 a "3/4 ton", the F350 is a "1 ton". Maybe I've got the names to ratings all wrong. Of course when a "3/4 ton" truck can tow/haul something like 16000 pounds, I'm not sure what the name really means anymore...
You are correct when talking about the big 3 standards. I was just being sarcastic about what vw thinks one ton means. Looking at the pix, I fail to see how you could fit one ton of anything into the bed, except maybe lead or gold. I'll bet you have to subtract people weight from that one ton rating of vw's.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
abctdi said:
You are correct when talking about the big 3 standards. I was just being sarcastic about what vw thinks one ton means. Looking at the pix, I fail to see how you could fit one ton of anything into the bed, except maybe lead or gold. I'll bet you have to subtract people weight from that one ton rating of vw's.
Oh, sorry. I guess I missed the sarcasm.

If by some miracle it actually came to our shores, I for one wouldn't expect this truck to compete directly with the big diesel trucks from the Big 3. I see it as being a competitor to the smaller midsize trucks and maybe the 1/2 tons, except with a diesel (and hopefully that third pedal :D), thus being more efficient and capable than the gasoline only trucks we can buy now. Of course, without actually being able to experience one in person this is all speculation for me...

tdi_mt

TDI
2004 passat wagon
scott1050 said:
will have to wait and see. I would buy this truck if it could haul at least 6000lb
if you read the edmunds article they say it is about 3500 pounds short.
but that would be more than the what the three guys I work with haul to the office everyday.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
tdi_mt said:
if you read the edmunds article they say it is about 3500 pounds short.
but that would be more than the what the three guys I work with haul to the office everyday.
Edmunds says it PAYLOAD is 2500 lbs. I couldn't find anything about towing capacity.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
hysterwv said:
Edmunds says it PAYLOAD is 2500 lbs. I couldn't find anything about towing capacity.
Given your 2 avg Americans already in the car, that leaves 2000 lb, or one tonne as the payload.
Never believe towing capacity ratings as they are under ideal conditions and mostly based on stopping power and suspension, not going power.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Towing ratings in the US are usually far more conservative than EEC for the same vehicle.

Even in Canada, people seem to tow far larger things than the lawyers in the US would ever allow us to.....

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
How fast are you allowed to tow something in the US?
In Europe you will lose your license if you are caught towing faster than 80 kph a few times.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
California limits towing to 55 mph IIRC, maybe a few other states. My state posts no different limits for towing.

scott1050

TDI
10 Jetta TDI
watched the last eposode of Motorweek and they said it will be avaible this summer. They usually say if it wont be here in the states so maybe it will come here after all and I will def take a look at it if it does come here.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If VWoA is ever going to sell 800,000 vehicles, the goal set by Stefan Jacoby, then it will need to offer a wider variety of vehicles including light pickups.

It makes sense for VAG to offer stripped-down models in the Third World, but they can still design products suitable for North America, Europe, Australia, etc., so there is no excuse for offering some models elsewhere but not in the US and Canada. Especially if they offer the same 2.0-liter TDI for the Amorok, Jetta, Golf, Tiguan, etc. Or the same 1.4- or 1.6-liter TDI engine in a range of smaller vehicles.

scott1050

TDI
10 Jetta TDI
well just got an email back from VW about it and here is what they said

At this time, the Amarok does not meet our marketing objectives for
North America. Therefore, we have no plans to offer this model in the
United States or Canada. Please feel free to keep in touch with us for
future updates.

oh well

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
LRTDI said:
Edmunds test drive (in South America). So its engineered for the US crash tests. Uses the 2.0Tdi engine we already have. Only reason not to bring it might be first year model worries.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/amarok/2010/2010-volkswagen-amarok-first-drive.html
In that link, they only mentioned a twin-turbo 2.0TDI with 160hp and a 2.0TDI with 120hp. I'm sure they are very similar, but it doesn't sound like this is the same engine we have, particulate trap and all.

I like the point they made about building them in the US to avoid the import tax, but the way they mentioned sending a "kit" here from Argentina for assembly just scares me.