www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 6th, 2017, 21:05   #31
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Folks -

Need your help. Still can't open the back cover of the fuse box. The side facing me is hinged, so it appears to open from the front side, but there isn't any obvious way for it to unclip, unbolt, slide, etc.

No videos anywhere, no threads on how to do this, no pics, and boy have I searched.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 21:32   #32
Celco
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41 average

Should just be retainer clips on the other 3 non-hinged sides. Swing open and pull the fingers out of the hinge. From there you pull the pink lock 1/8"-1/4" towards you and it should "click" this allows you to push the electrical connectors into the back of the fuse panel. Press the pink clip back to lock in the pins, insert your fuse, hook up your main powers, and your buns are toasty.

Good luck.

Fairly simple. I have built a few of these heated seat and powered seat harnesses... like that kauftec kit. Simple enough install though.
Celco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 17:39   #33
Judson
Veteran Member

Sadly, still doesn't make sense, and still can't open it up.

There definitely is no retainer clip on the bottom. On the top and the front there is something that doesn't look like any kind of clip normally seen in a VW, and can't figure out how it opens. Doesn't slide, or anything. Probaby one of these things that, once I do get it open, it'll seem so simple and I'll feel foolish.

I'm about to the point of taking a big screwdriver and prying, but that would be bad.
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.
Old December 7th, 2017, 19:11   #34
UhOh
Veteran Member

I can only remember being totally perplexed and about to give up as well. I then grasped it and popped it off, I believe (I was tempted to use something to pry it off but I'm no thinking I didn't do that, though it might have been OK as long as I watched out for breaking something).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 14:10   #35
Judson
Veteran Member

Got it, finally. I had to unscrew the two little bolts that hold the fuse box in place.
Then, on the top is a plastic tab - a flat piece - and using a screwdriver, I loosened that. Ditto on the front side - you're blind, but after freeing the fuse box from its mounting bolts you can get at it, again with a screwdriver.

I don't like my harness, however. It runs the two ground wires from each seat all the way up the center to the switches. I'm going to pull those, and research where a good ground point would be on the seats themselves. It probably would work the way I have it, but a good short ground wire is always a better idea.
Old December 8th, 2017, 16:52   #36
UhOh
Veteran Member

Well, yeah, had thought that the fuse box was loose already.

Kufatec provides a long ground wire, so I figure long is just fine. I run to the lower A-pillar ground (behind kick panel). There's a good ground just under the steering column (I used that for other things).
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:43   #37
Judson
Veteran Member

Yeah, I decided to use one ground from the steering column (just above and to the left) and one below, down to the right of the power connections (75x, 30, 30, etc.). One goes to the driver's seat switch, the other to the passenger's.

Still need to add the fuses into the fuse box. Probably won't happen today, though, too busy.
Old December 11th, 2017, 16:27   #38
Judson
Veteran Member

Got them wired into the fuse box. Found a video online that explains how VW electrical connectors worked, which I needed for the antenna extension. And, believe it or don't, the heated seats are working!
Old December 11th, 2017, 22:10   #39
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Got them wired into the fuse box. Found a video online that explains how VW electrical connectors worked, which I needed for the antenna extension. And, believe it or don't, the heated seats are working!
Of course you'd do it! Good job! I've been driving my car now for a while and am for sure thinking it was all worth the effort.
Old December 12th, 2017, 07:43   #40
Judson
Veteran Member

It's funny how one thing - wiring in the remote antenna wire - can lead to a solution in another. I've had to take my time during the myriad of projects, and doing so found that questions on how to do something are answered as I go from one task to another.

Been learning a lot!