got a throttle actuator fault going on, I have some questions. please help!

r.etheridge

TDI
2006 jetta TDI
ok so I got auto zone to run code and its a P2112 code Throttle Actuator Control System, stuck closed, This is on a 06 jetta TDI 1.9L.
my question is, is this the same thing thats reffered to as a ASV?
Also could someone please walk me through removing this part? I am mechainally inclined but have never worked on anything turbo charged or a VW for that matter.
And when I get it off, can I clean it or does it need to be replaced?
thank you very much in advance

r.etheridge

TDI
2006 jetta TDI
so now im pretty sure its the ASV. Seems like the gears inside of them break in cold weather or around 50k miles so I feel lucky for ours to have lasted to 75k. And the sound that its making sounds like it would be gears trying to catch but have little or no teeth to do so. With that being said and the problems that other people have had with the same code coming up, Im ready to replace it. Found a new one for $65. Anyone know a good place to get VW parts at thats not real expensive like most parts on this car?

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
When you take these apart you can see the teeth on one end of the travel closest to the stop all have worn profiles in a gradual amount and eventually they strip right where it comes off the stop... They simply wear out. Too bad someone couldn't come up with a stronger gear-set to keep the whole assembly in service for less money than buying a new one, last one I bought for a customer was about $300.

r.etheridge

TDI
2006 jetta TDI
When you take these apart you can see the teeth on one end of the travel closest to the stop all have worn profiles in a gradual amount and eventually they strip right where it comes off the stop... They simply wear out. Too bad someone couldn't come up with a stronger gear-set to keep the whole assembly in service for less money than buying a new one, last one I bought for a customer was about $300.
yeah you would think on a VW they would use metal parts instead of plastic especially on gears. Atleast have a recall if you make a shotty part but thats not the case with them.I found one at idparts.com just the ASV for $65. I really dont want to drop $300. we just spent $500 on a new ignition and keys because it messed up, the car sometimes locks on its own because there is a short in the electronic latch on the door which is $500 to get fixed and now this? the car is just now 5 years old, with 75k on it and falling apart. I have a 94 civic with 150k on it and no problems what so ever. WTH?

Last edited:

r.etheridge

TDI
2006 jetta TDI
this is it. This is what I need new and im assuming that you cannot buy just that gear. Anyone chime in please

circled in orange is the stripped gear.

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Sweet, looks like the price dropped on that assembly, like I said the last time I ordered one it was $300, back-ordered and took a while to get, now it's $46.41 at ECS, I checked two other places and it was still in the $200+ range...

link to ECS Tuning