EGR - Clean vs Replace

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I know that there's a lot of talk here about EGR valves and I hope I didn't miss this answer somewhere. Mine's been bad for awhile now and I need to get it fixed. My dealer said he can clean it for 2 1/2 hours labor, but I'm afraid that they'll do that and then tell me it needs to be replaced! In all honesty, I just want the damn CEL to go away, and I don't want it to come back! So...am I better off taking my chances with a cleaning? Or do I suck it up and replace it? Any thoughts?

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
The EGR should be 1/2 an hour not a big one the intake is what takes the time

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The dealer is probably quoting 2.5 hours becuase they're planning on cleaning the intake. If yours hasn't been cleaned it's probably due. But don't have the dealer do it. I don't know where you're located, but do some looking around here and see if there's someone recommended here to do it. If you strike out I'd seriously cosider going to www.tdiparts.com and buying a new one for $200. Clean the EGR yourself (off the car) with brake cleaner and a good brush and put it back together. It'll be literally as good as new.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
I agree, clean it yourself. If you have time do the intake cleaning too...It's well worth the effort and return.

BTW, I used the pressure wash method and couldn't have been happier. I started with scrapping and brake cleaner and that was too much work.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Ok, quit screwing around with chemicals. Get a power washer and user water. CLEAN.

And dealers charge WAY more than 2 1/2 hours for intake cleaning. More like 5.

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Intake?

Is the intake part of the EGR? I've considered cleaning the EGR or replacing it myself, but need some good how-to's and haven't been able to find any. Now if the intake becomes another issue I probably will get it to the garage to have it done by a mechanic. Here's my plan:

1. Buy EGR at Impex for $169
2. Have mechanic (not dealer) replace it
3. Have him clean intake at same time

Does this sound good?

jasonTDI

TDI
Where are you located? There are a ton of us that can do this for you.

MadCow

TDI
A4 Jetta

xsamx

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Black
I would also take a look at the cooler. I've seen them completely plugged up. I had to let mine sit in an ultrasonic cleaner for 48 Hours to get all the crap out of it.

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
ProVent

MadCow said:
Anybody in the Dallas area available to coach me on this? I'm not looking for someone to do it for me as I don't want the fish, I want the pole. I feel like taking off the intake might be just out of my reach. Also, is it really worth doing this if you don't do one of the CCV filter mods at the same time? I've kind of been looking at this one: http://www.singhmotorwerks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=194&osCsid=9920ab6a8162472bdfddf6fbaf832501
Not sure about other experiences but I purchased the two ProVents from http://www.airnowsupply.com/ for $130 each. I know that another member had a problem but these folks made it right for me!

CALL US NOW AT 888-962-6610 MENTION THIS WEB PAGE & RECEIVE FREE SHIPPING (UPS GROUND) ON PROVENT ASSEMBLY ORDERS ANYWHERE IN THE US

Last edited:

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
xsamx said:
I would also take a look at the cooler. I've seen them completely plugged up. I had to let mine sit in an ultrasonic cleaner for 48 Hours to get all the crap out of it.
I cannot believe that in Dallas, TX that Cow will have much problem with freezing as others have had with this. I am not sure if members are experienceing freezing in my neck of the woods!

<edit> my bad, EGR Cooler!! Too many windows and projects INW.

lance71137

TDI
Jetta,03,Blue
Can we please get down to the nitty gritty.

HOW do you clean the EGR value? Does it need to be removed from the car first? If so, HOW? Procedures? Pictures? Any help would be appreciated.
BTW I have a 2003 TDI Jetta (A4).

Thanks,

Lance

MadCow

TDI
A4 Jetta
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

This is a pretty good how to article. I haven't done it yet but it seems pretty easy to follow. There is a sticky post under the 101 forum that hosts this and many others.

To answer you question in short, you'll need to take the EGR valve off so crap doesn't fall into the engine. The write up explains all of that and also walks you through taking it off.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
David_Inman said:
1. Buy EGR at Impex for $169
2. Have mechanic (not dealer) replace it
3. Have him clean intake at same time

Does this sound good?
The intake is separate from the EGR: the EGR bolts to the intake with three bolts. The intake is one tube that separates into four runners, one for each cylinder. The challenge in cleaning the intake is (1) it has to be off the car because you don't want that gunk in the combustion chambers; and (2) it's labor intensive. The labor quote you got probably included about 30 min for the EGR removal and cleaning and the rest for the intake. If you clean only the EGR you probably won't get your CEL to go away, and you won't reap any benefit as the flow of air to the combustion chambers will still be restricted.

This is a messy job and hard to do right the first time. I may get flamed for this, but my .02 is that you should get a clubber to do this. Post in your regional section and get some referrals, or tell us here where you're located. BTW, the EGR isn't a complex item and probably isn't worn out. Save the $169. for now.:D

David_Inman

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Too late

IndigoBlueWagon said:
The intake is separate from the EGR: the EGR bolts to the intake with three bolts. The intake is one tube that separates into four runners, one for each cylinder. The challenge in cleaning the intake is (1) it has to be off the car because you don't want that gunk in the combustion chambers; and (2) it's labor intensive. The labor quote you got probably included about 30 min for the EGR removal and cleaning and the rest for the intake. If you clean only the EGR you probably won't get your CEL to go away, and you won't reap any benefit as the flow of air to the combustion chambers will still be restricted.

This is a messy job and hard to do right the first time. I may get flamed for this, but my .02 is that you should get a clubber to do this. Post in your regional section and get some referrals, or tell us here where you're located. BTW, the EGR isn't a complex item and probably isn't worn out. Save the $169. for now.:D
Wish I had read your post earlier, already ordered the valve. BTW, I'm in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Probably not as many people around here as were in southern New England where I moved from.

jasonTDI

TDI
lance71137 said:
Can we please get down to the nitty gritty.

HOW do you clean the EGR value? Does it need to be removed from the car first? If so, HOW? Procedures? Pictures? Any help would be appreciated.
BTW I have a 2003 TDI Jetta (A4).

Thanks,

Lance
do a frickin' search sheesh. It's in the how to section.

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
The engine side had as much buildup as the intake! As I look in the intake picture, it does not look like there is too much buildup in the areas that flow air.