To Buy or Not to Buy

smetzler

TDI
2011 Audi A3
Thinking of buying a 2011 Audi A3 TDI S-Line with 65K on it...will be using it as a daily driver...any thoughts...anybody out there have one that would like to throw some advise this way?

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Service records

... As the owner of a 2011 A3 TDI with almost 80k miles on it, mine has settled into its sweet spot now. Consistent mpg over 34, likes an oil change every 10k, likes fuel additive every tank, has a fresh set of brake linings now. I'll be putting in fresh tranny fluid into my DSG soon, but that's all I hope to need except new oil and filters before 100k miles.

I'd say you should do your homework on how well this car has been serviced, and if the seller has been on top of maintenance and a TDI-savvy mechanic says it's in good shape, you're ok to go.

Matatk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 A3 TDI Wagon

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Thank you for your time...may I ask, do you do more city or highway driving??
Click on my Fuelly badge -- fuel-ups are in there -- two-thirds highway, one-third city - over life of car. Mostly highway now back-and-forth commuting to office.

impulse922

TDI
a3
Pretty good cars. The DSG is a little clunky on the first drive of the day, the doors will chatter unless you lube the rubber gaskets, and batteries seem to meet their maker right at the 3 year mark. Oh yeah, and i think everyone breaks at least one visor clip.

I just did the 55k service on my g/fs and it wasn't bad at all. I would say she averages right at about 33-35mpg - if you are shooting for the stars on mpg go with the manual golf or JSW.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
My wife likes her 2012 a lot.
Have it checked out as maroonfrog1 suggests.
You might want to drive a DSG a bit--it's different, and not everyone loves it.
But overall, is the thing a good car?
Yes.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Oh yeah, and i think everyone breaks at least one visor clip.
BUAHAHAH! Ive been thinking about a 3d printer for all the stupid little clips ive broken in mine!

I bought mine with 73K on it and promptly changed both fuel filters, transmission filter and fluid, oil filter and fluid, air filter. After awhile i changed the brake fluid too. all of it was very easy to do. i followed (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/mk5-jetta-and-audi-a3-tdi-diy-index/)

there are alot of manual ways of doing the changes without having to hook up a computer to it.

i avg 36mpg i drive a mostly city/high way mix (its in the city but can get steady stretches for 55mph)