Beware of the Plenum Leak!

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Not every 04-05 Passat falls under that TSB, I called VOA customer service and was told that mine didn't need the seal replaced based on my VIN number. My car has a build date of 10/2004. But I haven't looked at it yet to confirm.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Today I was addressing the dead battery in My Wifes 05 Passat and decided to check if the seal had been redone. No such luck.
I went to my local VW dealer and the friendly parts guy sold me a strip of the sealant for 1.25$.
It was good to do while I already had it apart for the battery. It just took one trip to buy the sealer (and a new cabin filter) and about 15 min to do the reseal. I can totally see where it could flood the car. The original gasket is a joke. All it takes is some debris to build up in the corner and you are at risk of having a flood.
Thanks for making me take a closer look at this.
Do you happen to have the part number for the strip of sealant you bought?

Thanks, Tony

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Today I was addressing the dead battery in My Wifes 05 Passat and decided to check if the seal had been redone. No such luck.
I went to my local VW dealer and the friendly parts guy sold me a strip of the sealant for 1.25$.
It was good to do while I already had it apart for the battery. It just took one trip to buy the sealer (and a new cabin filter) and about 15 min to do the reseal. I can totally see where it could flood the car. The original gasket is a joke. All it takes is some debris to build up in the corner and you are at risk of having a flood.
Thanks for making me take a closer look at this.
Glad to hear it!

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Not every 04-05 Passat falls under that TSB, I called VOA customer service and was told that mine didn't need the seal replaced based on my VIN number. My car has a build date of 10/2004. But I haven't looked at it yet to confirm.
Correct, but every B5.5 has the inherent flaw. VW did not change or upgrade the seal during production. For some reason, many 04's and 05's are not showing that the recall is active (mine included), but the problem applies to all B5.5's. Mine is an '05 and was manufactured after yours, but I still got the flood of biblical proportions. This is not to be taken lightly, trust me. The car was a true mess. I am hearing that these are being dealt with in some cases on a complaint basis; mine was covered by extended warranty. Print the TSB and take it with you. It also appears that the leaking starts slowly, and owners have small amounts of water sloshing around under their carpets and around their TCM's, long before they actually see a leak. By the time you see water in your car, it is likely that you have had the leak for some time already.

Sadly though, the dealership has still not returned my calls regarding the damage to the center consul of my car, as we move into week 2. Looks like no good deed goes unpunished.

Last edited:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you happen to have the part number for the strip of sealant you bought?
Thanks, Tony
It is worth mentioning for everyone's benefit that the seal was not re-designed. Instead, it was replaced by a Butyl tape seal that was approved for use by VW. It must be of specific dimensions and be laid with the seam in a particular location. The fix is cheap; the fix after a flood is VERY expensive.

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Well after VW tells me my car doesn't have this issue because of my build date I check the car and find it has the sponge seal. So I will be after them to replace it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I took mine apart tonight and found a crapload of debris in the area of the filter housing. Mostly made up of tree leafs and pine needles. I suppose it could have been worse, but enough to make me be concerned.

My OE seal in the slot was good and the foam piece was also. If there is a new and improved seal, I would like someone who gets it changed to post the VW part number so I can get one. The dealer does not touch my car. This is truck country with a lot of rednecks working in the dealerships.

Thanks, Tony

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
Does anyone have any pics of this plenum seal and it's location? I want to check mine and/or have the dealer replace it.

Thanks.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Does anyone have any pics of this plenum seal and it's location? I want to check mine and/or have the dealer replace it.

Thanks.
No picture, but it is easy to understand: when you take the filter housing out and turn it upside down, there is a foam strip in the center area that appears to be nothing more than a dust collector. Around the outer circumference of the foam piece (it's rectangular) is rectangular slot in the base of the housing which contains the foam (rubber) seal material. The foam rubber seal is easily removed from the slot as it is not glued in. That is what gets replaced. There is a sketch of this in the .pdf file a few pages from the end of the document.

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
No picture, but it is easy to understand: when you take the filter housing out and turn it upside down, there is a foam strip in the center area that appears to be nothing more than a dust collector. Around the outer circumference of the foam piece (it's rectangular) is rectangular slot in the base of the housing which contains the foam (rubber) seal material. The foam rubber seal is easily removed from the slot as it is not glued in. That is what gets replaced. There is a sketch of this in the .pdf file a few pages from the end of the document.
Does this writeup show what you are trying to describe?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/airfilterengine.htm

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Does this writeup show what you are trying to describe?
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/airfilterengine.htm
No: I don't believe there is a DIY write up on this seal change other than what is in the .pdf file posted by me earlier. The seal housing is located under the rain guard area beneath the passenger side windshield wiper. It is the housing that holds the cabin filter.

Page 14 shows the location of the cabin filter housing and related seals.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Cowl_Service_Action_Circular.pdf

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
No: I don't believe there is a DIY write up on this seal change other than what is in the .pdf file posted by me earlier. The seal housing is located under the rain guard area beneath the passenger side windshield wiper. It is the housing that holds the cabin filter.

Page 14 shows the location of the cabin filter housing and related seals.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Cowl_Service_Action_Circular.pdf
Ah..... I see now said the blind man.

So the dealer will have the necessary replacement parts? Cost?

Doesn't look to difficult to replace. I may check to see if this has been done on my Passat (based on dealer records) before I jump into this one. Since this may have been handled under a recall notice mine may have been replaced already.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Ah..... I see now said the blind man.
So the dealer will have the necessary replacement parts? Cost?
Doesn't look to difficult to replace. I may check to see if this has been done on my Passat (based on dealer records) before I jump into this one. Since this may have been handled under a recall notice mine may have been replaced already.
Thanks a bunch for the clarification.
You are welcome! The cost should not be much as it took me 1/2 hour to get mine apart to look at my seal (which I have not changed yet). I would call the dealer, give them your VIN and the TSB number and ask for an estimated cost.

The new seal material is a few dollars at most. The labor can't be more than an hour or so.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
My forehead was looking mighty dull, so I thought I'd call VWoA to get me in the mood to bang my head against the wall to shine it up. Let's just say, they did not disappoint...

VWoA said that the plenum leak was never a recall item. That misconception may have been caused by including it in an actual recall for the heat shields on a gasser 1.8T. The only way to get the plenum work done for free is to be under warranty. Just for grins and giggles (or more like sobs and tears), I asked about the glowplug recall. They are "working" on the fix for those of us who have not had it done yet. I asked what happens when one of my ceramics breaks and trashes the engine before the "fix" comes out. Short answer - You're scr*wed...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
it probably takes less time to do it than two trips to the vw dealer

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I seem to recall a long time ago I had to remove the wiper arms for something, although I forget why. At any rate - I was not able to get them off after removing the wiper arm retaining nuts. Is there something I am missing (special tool?) or whatever? Has anyone one else had the problem where the arms won't come off?

EDIT: #2 - so long as I am being a PITA: My VW dealer does not have the sealer. What is the width of the stuff? I can get butyl tape but need to know what size.

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I seem to recall a long time ago I had to remove the wiper arms for something, although I forget why. At any rate - I was not able to get them off after removing the wiper arm retaining nuts. Is there something I am missing (special tool?) or whatever? Has anyone one else had the problem where the arms won't come off?

EDIT: #2 - so long as I am being a PITA: My VW dealer does not have the sealer. What is the width of the stuff? I can get butyl tape but need to know what size.
You would have had to have taken the wipers off when you had the ECU flashed by Jeff. It's the only way to get to the box to get the ECU out. I just wobble mine to get them off - the spring sideloads it, so you have to push the opposite direction to relieve the pressure. A gear puller would probably do in a pinch.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

I beat on mine with a small hammer while pulling the base of the arm. Use a little anti-seize on the spline when putting it back together. The seal looks to be about 1/2" square (cross section) by about 24" long.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you can get the ecu cover off without all that fuss with the wipers, its tricky

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm going to a dealer tomorrow for the new glow plugs and flash and I'll pick up whatever they use for that gasket. they have been a vw dealer for 60 years, longest in usa

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Thanks guys - I never had the blades off before - always found I could wiggle the ECU out.

I will 'encourage' them to come off!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks guys - I never had the blades off before - always found I could wiggle the ECU out.

I will 'encourage' them to come off!
Tip: with the wiper blades on the park position, place a strip of masking tape along the windshield adjacent to each blade so you will know where to align the spline when you slide them back on.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Was doing a little more research on this today and spoke to a private shop that I deal with for another car that I own. They use something that they refer to as "dum-dum". Essentially, it is a non-water based plasticine type material that they roll into a big rope and lay around the fresh air vent opening. Then they set the cover on top. No failures yet.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI jetta, 05 passat wagon
If I have to guess at metric thickness I say its 10mm (3/8 for us Americans) 30 inches long is what I think I read. I really have to give My local dealer credit as they totally knew what I needed and it did not cost an arm or a leg. This is a rare moment of "dealer did good by me" I will savor it.
Im sure you can seal it with lots of other interesting things but the strip putty stuff from the dealer worked great for me and was dirt cheap.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
as part of the leak procedure it shows removal of the rubber duck bill drain under the battery tray

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
Was doing a little more research on this today and spoke to a private shop that I deal with for another car that I own. They use something that they refer to as "dum-dum". Essentially, it is a non-water based plasticine type material that they roll into a big rope and lay around the fresh air vent opening. Then they set the cover on top. No failures yet.
3M Strip Calk = "dum-dum" - easy to find, easy to install, easy fix!
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-MMM8578-Strip-Black/dp/B000PEZ1L4

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
So, after starting this thread, I have finally heard from the dealership. They are very unhappy, but they are willing to fix a couple of the things they damaged on my center consul. The rest I will live with. Mutual dissatisfaction I guess, but I can live with the outcome I guess.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Just got back from my dealer Motorville. They did the sunroof drain check and replaced the plenum gasket. Very reasonable. Hey and I got my quotient of coffee in. Looked over the new Jettas etc. They are all nice, but I like the knowledge of the beast I know. BTW, the owner said they've only had one misfuel with the new CR engines. He did admit that a misfuel on a CR is almost certainly expensive as compared to a B5.5

Last edited:

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
Just got back from my dealer Motorville. They did the sunroof drain check and replaced the plenum gasket. Very reasonable.
What was the damage:confused: I'm about to get the glow plugs done. I'd like to know if my stealer is in the right ball park, if I let them do it:rolleyes:

We just had 12 hours of hard rain and my carpet padding is wet, got the carpet pulled up enough to get hair dryer going, as I type.

Last edited: